Perfect Dark

This IGN poll popped up in my YouTube recommendations:

Screenshot_20201214-144536.thumb.png.feede48e88ef4d1b292dd792484d8df9.png

:blah: "Only 9%? Bah, should've expected this from the youngsters of today. Totally ignorant and unappreciative of the classics from before their time!"

:quote:"But how can you say they're ignorant of old games? They're excited about a character from a game from 1997!"

:hmm: "..."

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

A bunch of people who worked on God of War and Naughty Dog games doesn’t fill me with confidence. 

Even though this is a weird opinion when those are some of the most critically acclaimed games of this generation, there are also people who worked at id Software. Bungie, Insomniac and Respawn. There is no denying that this team is fucking quality.

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

Even though this is a weird opinion when those are some of the most critically acclaimed games of this generation, there are also people who worked at id Software. Bungie, Insomniac and Respawn. There is no denying that this team is fucking quality.

Im certainly hoping they lean more towards the id/Bungie/Respawn design style than the God of War/Naughty Dog method where the game is mostly cutscenes, even if they are the only two studios who make games like that with cutscenes that are actually worth watching.

17 hours ago, the_debaser said:

iDs last game was bad.

Bungie haven’t made a good game in over a decade. 

You mean the critically acclaimed DOOM Eternal that was nominated for multiple Game of the Year awards? Even if you think so, the gunplay in that is fantastic and highly skill-based. Same with Destiny. If Perfect Dark has gunplay on par with those games with the production values of Naughty Dog and a decent script, I'm all for it.

But it probably won't be an adrenaline-soaked shooter, with more emphasis on gadgets and secret agent stuff and that should be great too. More of an immersive sim as Squirtle said would be ace.

He's just trolling, like always.

It's absolutely no guarantee of a great game (too many cooks and all that) but the team that Microsoft have put together is absolutely rammed with talent from some of the most feted devs in the industry. It's pretty much a development supergroup, so I'm really interested to see what they come up with. Big fan of Perfect Dark and the setting of an eco sci-fi Africa is a new one too, so initial impressions are very promising. Let's hope they can deliver the goods.

The studio head said:

We have built the Perfect Dark team at The Initiative by bringing in some of the most talented game makers from around the industry who all share a passion for storytelling, world-building and creating memorable game experiences. With the full backing from Xbox Studios to re-imagine one of the best loved IPs from gaming history, we couldn’t be more excited to share some of our early ideas.

Nothing about the heritage of PD, what the franchise means to gamers of a certain age, instead vague rumblings of reimagining the franchise and storytelling. Given half the team look like they were involved with GOW and Naughty Dog, we could be looking at yet another cinematic shit fest with gameplay a secondary concern. I just hope that some of the guys who worked on games like Titanfall will push for the game to follow that sort of direction instead. 

57 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

The studio head said:

Nothing about the heritage of PD, what the franchise means to gamers of a certain age, instead vague rumblings of reimagining the franchise and storytelling. Given half the team look like they were involved with GOW and Naughty Dog, we could be looking at yet another cinematic shit fest with gameplay a secondary concern. I just hope that some of the guys who worked on games like Titanfall will push for the game to follow that sort of direction instead. 

Have you actually played games like TLoU2 and Titanfall 2? They’ve got some of the best gameplay of the last generation.

I'm interested so see how it turns out but I'm not getting my hopes up. The original Perfect Dark was very much a product of its time filled with late 90s X Files style conspiracies and paranoia along with visuals taken from Blade Runner and media like it along with the weird British sense of humour the game had. Apart from the name, Jo Dark and dataDyne I doubt there will be any references at all to the original or Zero in it. I do hope they get the music right at least because the original, to my old ears, still sounds great.

I never played PD but when I imagine it, I think of a high-tech environment like a high-rise skyscraper where you stealthily leap around a relatively open environment vaulting over laser tripwires and running rings around guards using various acrobatic moves, gadgets, melee attacks and guns. Maybe that's not PD at all, but it's a fun game in my head!

On 14/12/2020 at 19:49, the_debaser said:

iDs last game was bad.

Bungie haven’t made a good game in over a decade. 
Don’t like Spider-Man. 
Respawn are ok though, I suppose. 

Just hope that they’ve learned what was wrong with the games they’ve been making and approach this differently. 

Maybe you could apply as a consultant

The memories! Suffused with ‘will you save the girl or play like one’ vibes of course...if they released that today alongside the correct opprobrium you’d probably have more noise from the manosphere in uproar about it being completely unbelievable that Jo Dark could lift those weapons onto her gun rack, Rare is cancelling traditional male role models etc.

1 minute ago, Broker said:

TLOU2 has the averagest gameplay of the generation before last. 

It’s not my favourite game. It’s far too long and cut scene heavy, but some of the combat encounters are absolutely brilliant.

Whether you like it or not, you can’t really argue with the pedigree of that list of people at The Initiative. I’m really looking forward to seeing what they do with PD.

30 minutes ago, Broker said:

TLOU2 has the averagest gameplay of the generation before last. 

How much of it have you actually played? And tried to experiment with? I think all of the "it's moving the genre forward" and "it's the greatest video game story of all time" stuff is complete horse shit, and it's not troubling my GOTY top 5 due to some narrative issues, but the combat is genuinely incredible and shows what hefty, heavy animation can add to a game. My favourite gaming combat system of the year, which in the year DOOM Eternal (we know you didn't like it, debaser) came out is high praise indeed. 

15 hours ago, JPL said:

Whether you like it or not, you can’t really argue with the pedigree of that list of people at The Initiative. I’m really looking forward to seeing what they do with PD.

I don’t really think having hired one of the 500 people who made a good triple A game means very much, especially when most of them are full of things I don’t enjoy at all. If they’re all department heads they’re basically managers, which makes this less like an artistic supergroup and more like a management convention. 

15 hours ago, BitterToad said:

How much of it have you actually played? And tried to experiment with? I think all of the "it's moving the genre forward" and "it's the greatest video game story of all time" stuff is complete horse shit, and it's not troubling my GOTY top 5 due to some narrative issues, but the combat is genuinely incredible and shows what hefty, heavy animation can add to a game. My favourite gaming combat system of the year, which in the year DOOM Eternal (we know you didn't like it, debaser) came out is high praise indeed. 

I played up until the end of the open section where you have the horse, but it feels the same as the first game to me. The shooting feels floaty and imprecise, which combined with the limited ammo means that you’re incentivised to use the stealth instant kill as much as possible, so it just becomes a game of figuring out what order to sneak up on the enemies and stab them in the neck. As a stealth game it’s very basic, much less interesting than MGSV or Hitman, with very few tools other than the stab to actually use during stealth gameplay. I found it to be repetitive and pretty boring in terms of gameplay. 

On 11/12/2020 at 09:01, Popo said:

Lets not forget Timesplitters 2! 

The evolutionary missing link, perhaps?

There was one level that was exactly like a Goldeneye level, then the rest was all a bit ho-hum. Worth it for that level; alone though.

I don’t get people who say Goldeneye and Perfect dark are dated. I mean the graphics sure, because they are really fucking old now, but the gameplay still feels really fresh to me and has way more depth than your average, even above average, FPS.

On 11/12/2020 at 11:23, kensei said:

Timesplitters 2 multiplayer mode is incredible fun, but the single player never nailed it for me. I think it was something about the disjointed setting just didn't draw me in. 

On 11/12/2020 at 12:07, ZOK said:

Yup, TS2 had one good level, and that was the Goldeneye rip off.

The multiplayer and shooting gallery thingy were amazing.

4 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

There was one level that was exactly like a Goldeneye level, then the rest was all a bit ho-hum. Worth it for that level; alone though.

Timesplitters Future Perfect had some really good single-player story mode levels! It also gave the option to use the modern "fixed, centred" precision aiming mode, instead of the non-centred "waggle" style that people used to complain about in TS2.

But not as many people played it. :(

7 hours ago, Broker said:

don’t really think having hired one of the 500 people who made a good triple A game means very much, especially when most of them are full of things I don’t enjoy at all. If they’re all department heads they’re basically managers, which makes this less like an artistic supergroup and more like a management convention. 

I mean, you could be right, but it seems like a very cynical and negative view to take. To me, I see a list of people who’ve worked on some really good games and even though they might all be middle managers, as you say, they could equally have been part of what made those games magic.

I’d rather be optimistic as Perfect Dark was a big part of my gaming youth, so I’m excited to see what they do with it.

I guess we’ll find out in a few years.