IGNORED

Perfect Dark

layten

Like others already have said, hopefully it’s not only the uninteresting lore they bring back but also some of the design elements of the original game. The compact, intricate multiplayer maps, the bots you could assign tasks to, the wealth of options in the combat simulator, the gadgets and guns with secondary features. I’d love to see the counter-op feature back in some form too.

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

In fairness that sort of came out of nowhere and was a very small scale project. MS have been hyping up The Initiative for months as this AAA game development supergroup. It feels a bit like a modern equivalent of The Travelling Willburys forming and announcing that their first song is going to be a cover of Agadoo.

Yeah, OK. I mean, I get your scthick and everything, but comparing Perfect Dark to Agadoo... 

brimley_1050_591_81_s_c1.thumb.jpg.eec8b947643e00f8dd73004f7a62520d.jpg

10 minutes ago, Popo said:

May I propose - a stealth action title where the objective is to sneak up on Old Man Carrington and tickle his belly before he sees you, prompting him to say his much-loved catchphrase - “Ah, Joanna! How did you get there?”

Pester Carrington through 12 different levels of sneaking fun; watch as his frustration builds as he tries to execute the day to day operations of an international spy agency as you yet again give him a jolly good fright in ever more unlikely settings; thrill at your selection of tickling gadgets, including feather dusters and drones (with feather duster attachments).

Could do well. Could do not so well. The market is fickle and hard to predict. 

I always thought that wine bottle destruction was a hugely unexplored part of the Perfect Dark universe. Intriguingly, despite being lashed to an old wooden chair by armed assailants and in mortal danger, Carrington was able to admonish Joanna for smashing the fuck out of his priceless cellar as a disembodied voice. Presumably through telepathic abilities and a plot thread they've left dangling for two decades. Now, I don't want to tell these people their business, but if this isn't the foundation stone of the new game then they're just wasting everybody's time frankly. 

24 minutes ago, squirtle said:

Gamers: Microsoft, where are your big new games?

*Microsoft announces big, new game*

Gamers: No, you need to do smaller games. Not these big games. 

Partly true. 

Although you should never listen to your customers according to Steve Jobs. 

But let’s give them the benefit of the doubt.

Gamers - Announce some EXCLUSIVES for god's sake - where are the big AAA games? I mean we know you announced Fable and Everwild and FLight Sim and HellBlade 2 and Forza and State of Decay 3 but come onnnnnn something else new

MS - Ok well here is Perfect Dark we are also working on that

Gamers - yeah - we meant other games we aren't sure what but not that.

1 hour ago, squirtle said:

Announcing isn’t the problem it’s the releasing part they appear to have difficulties over. 

7 hours ago, K said:

I really can’t see the point in reviving the Perfect Dark series - the first game was notable because it was the follow up to Goldeneye, and the second game was notable for being fucking terrible.

The multiplayer in the second game was great, though. When it came out I played it locally at a friend's house nonstop from midday until 8am the next day, where he promptly had a seizure. That's my memory of Perfect Dark Zero as I never had an Xbox. Anyway looking forward to a sequel. 

10 hours ago, Purin said:

Fucking hell, joyless fucks in here.

Can't wait for this!

It's certainly a bit premature for cynical hot takes. Yes, the IP might not mean much these days, but giving the talent at the studio and their aims with this game, I'm pretty sure they could make something very good.

7 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I always thought that wine bottle destruction was a hugely unexplored part of the Perfect Dark universe. Intriguingly, despite being lashed to an old wooden chair by armed assailants and in mortal danger, Carrington was able to admonish Joanna for smashing the fuck out of his priceless cellar as a disembodied voice. Presumably through telepathic abilities and a plot thread they've left dangling for two decades. Now, I don't want to tell these people their business, but if this isn't the foundation stone of the new game then they're just wasting everybody's time frankly. 

Carrington used fancy future gadget tech to detect when wanton destruction happens to his wine, so that an automated message could be relayed directly to Jo.

The paranoid fucker.

I was reading the Eurogamer Oral history of Perfect Dark (which is a fascinating read, by the way) and they reference the remaster as being 4K/60 in the Rare Replay collection. Does that make it a remaster of the 360 remaster?

I think it’s probably fair enough to attach a vaguely recognisable name to this game, it gets it extra attention and if they’re confident in the developers, that makes sense. I think you generally run the risk of being damned either way with dragging ancient franchises out of the grave, with people who remember the game being annoyed if you modernise it and new people being confused if you stay close to the original template.

I’d personally rather have seen their AAAA super team do something new, and then have given PD the Battletoads treatment. I think people would accept more experimentation in the controls and gameplay if it was a lower poly, retro style game, and there’s not exactly tonnes of FPS games in that style.

On 11/12/2020 at 07:57, Harsin said:

Maybe don’t lead with this one.

This is the only news that really worries me. The new Tomb Raider games are barely interactive, and all style with no substance, basically the opposite of PD design wise. Including the writer of Destiny 2 straight after the director of bland Tomb Raider and broken Avengers is even more crazy when you read below and everyone else they’ve hired are people who worked on the parts of good games that were actually good. 

Think about it more, I don’t get why Microsoft are so desperate to have old franchises to announce. I understand that they’ve probably seen that those trailers get a lot of media attention but often by the time they release things like FFVIIR and Shenmue 3 disappoint the fans and rarely sell that well. It seems like it would make more sense to try to position themselves as being focused on the future of gaming, and would be more in line with their messaging on Gamepass and stuff.

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Nah, just the 360 game running enhanced on Xbox One X.

Ah, wicked. So the version I already own will benefit from the same I suppose. 

I installed the collection and it killed all sound on the system while running!

The amount of talent at The Initiative (gross name, it has to be said) is almost embarrassing. The pressure to deliver something really top-drawer is going to be huge. 

9 minutes ago, Broker said:

Think about it more, I don’t get why Microsoft are so desperate to have old franchises to announce. I understand that they’ve probably seen that those trailers get a lot of media attention but often by the time they release things like FFVIIR and Shenmue 3 disappoint the fans and rarely sell that well. It seems like it would make more sense to try to position themselves as being focused on the future of gaming, and would be more in line with their messaging on Gamepass and stuff.

FFVIIR reviewed well though and sold even better, it's the fastest selling PS4 title after Spider-Man and The Last of Us: Part II. I think Perfect Dark is a bit like Prey. They wanted to make a special agent game and know MS has the Perfect Dark IP so why not use it? I don't think it will have much in common with the Rare game though and will be The Initiative's own take on it, as proven by the climate change angle and new setting.

16 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

FFVIIR reviewed well though and sold even better, it's the fastest selling PS4 title after Spider-Man and The Last of Us: Part II. 

You wouldn't know it from the way FFVII fans talk about it online though. That is why I added the "generally" caveat to sales though :) 

5 minutes ago, Broker said:

You wouldn't know it from the way FFVII fans talk about it online though. That is why I added the "generally" caveat to sales though :) 

Probably because gamer babies can't handle change. ;)
This not being a remake means it won't have that baggage though.

On 11/12/2020 at 13:30, squirtle said:

*Microsoft announces big, new game with yet another cinematic trailer that’s obviously at the start of its years long development*

Gamers: Why do I need the Series X again?

Of course I’m being a bit flippant and the Series X has been well worth the money in plenty of other ways, but I’m itching to play something that really takes advantage of its power now.

More on the staff list of The Initiative:

- Darrell Gallagher, studio head (Activision, Square Enix)
- Annie Lohr, recruiter (Respawn, Treyarch)
- Daniel Neuburger, game director (Tomb Raider-Serie)
- Drew Murray, lead designer (Sunset Overdrive)
- Christian Cantamessa, cinematics director (Red Dead Redemption)
- Brian Westergaard, director of production (God of War-, Tomb Raider-Serie)
- Blake Fischer, director of narrative (Xbox)
- Christine Thompson, narrative lead (Destiny 2)
- Maxwell Morrison, QA lead
- Chris O'Neill, lead level designer (God of War & Metal Gear Online)
- Robert Ryan, senior systems designer (Motive + Naughty Dog)
- Justin Perez, senior systems designer (Jedi: Fallen Order)
- Kurt Loudy, senior systems designer (Id Software)
- Ian Miller, senior designer (God of War)
- Kai Zheng, principal level designer (God of War)
- Ray Yeomans, senior designer (God of War- & Tomb Raider-Serie)
- Jolyon Myers, principal world builder (Infinity Ward)
- Nigel Loster, gameplay designer (The Coalition)
- Daniel Steamer, lead technical designer (Crystal Dynamics)
- Cristian Guzman, associate technical designer
- Joey Tan, associate technical designer (Insomniac)
- Tom Sherpherd, technical director (GTA V, Red Dead Redemption 2)
- William Archbell, technical director (Riot Games, 343)
- Christopher Ng, technical designer (Survios)
- Cristian Guzman, associate technical director
- Ben Diamond, lead systems engineer (Respawn, God of War III)
- Cesar Castro, senior software engineer (EA Sports UFC, FIFA)
- Hawar Doghramachi, senior graphics engineer (Naughty Dog)
- Robert Marr, lead gameplay engineer (Cryptic Studios)
- Anthony Silva, senior engineer
- Yuka Murata, software engineer
- Stephen Clayburn, principal lead online services engineer
- Johal Gow, senior producer (Treyarch)
- Victoria Miller, producer (PlayStation)
- Irma Ward, associate producer
- Jonathan Chavez, associate producer (Treyarch)
- Ryan Duffin, gameplay animation director (BioWare, DICE)
- Lee Davis, lead gameplay animator (Naughty Dog)
- Jason Priest, lead artist (Insomniac)
- Eric Persson, associate art director
- Ryan Trowbridge, tech art director (Bend Studio)
- Matt Corcoran, principal character artist (Jurassic World Film)
- Sze Jones, principal character artist (Tomb Raider, Uncharted 4)
- Tyler Thornock, principal technical animator (Naughty Dog)
- Giovanni Martinez, senior environment artist (Insomniac)
- Justin Walters, senior environment artist (Avalanche)
- Pasquale Scionti, senior environment/lighting artist
- Allyson Smyth, environment artist (DICE)
- Sarah Swenson, environment artist (Naughty Dog)
- Jaime Molina, environment artist (Infinity Ward)
- Patrick Ward, 3D environment artist (Nexon)
- Fabian Elmers, senior tech artist
- Richard Burns, UI/UX lead (Forza Horizon-Serie)
- Branford Williams, principal production designer (Daybreak)
- Oliver Guiney, concept artist (Black Ops 4)
- Isaac Yeram Kim, concept artist (Naughty Dog)
- Victor Chavez, senior animator (Amazon Game Studios)
- Arlington Cruz, animator
- Sylvia Chambers, animator (Naughty Dog)
- Lindsey McQueeney, HR manager (Google, Crystal Dynamics)

Source