IGNORED

Perfect Dark

layten

18 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Not sure how putting it out on a niche platform that's struggled to get any traction beyond tech nerds would make it a bigger hit.

Gaming was niche once. And full of tech nerds. As were computers and other tech. :) 

But that is for another discussion. 

15 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Dippy downers!

This is huge.

About as huge as me getting excited for a new Kid Icarus.

The only way I can see this succeed is to make it a huge marketing-driven game and hope everybody literally and figuratively buys it. There is no franchise here, only nostalgia. Not to say this can't succeed, but I find this announcement as impactful as their 'megaton' Shadowrun announcement years back on 360. The world has moved on.

1 minute ago, Cyhwuhx said:

About as huge as me getting excited for a new Kid Icarus.

The only way I can see this succeed is to make it a huge marketing-driven game and hope everybody literally and figuratively buys it. There is no franchise here, only nostalgia. Not to say this can't succeed, but I find this announcement as impactful as their 'megaton' Shadowrun announcement years back on 360. The world has moved on.

Yeah the world has move on but not how you think and it makes you look like the outdated dinosaur. This game doesn't need to be a huge marketing driven hit. It needs to fill up space on the GamePass release schedule and add enough to that service that people think it worth subscribing. Even with the current subscription numbers that's still a huge day one reach. 

I wish it was ioi making this and it was a smaller scale affair than it will inevitably be. The recent Hitman games have been the most reminiscent of GoldenEye/Perfect Dark in terms of structure. 

4 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Yeah the world has move on but not how you think and it makes you look like the outdated dinosaur. This game doesn't need to be a huge marketing driven hit. It needs to fill up space on the GamePass release schedule and add enough to that service that people think it worth subscribing. Even with the current subscription numbers that's still a huge day one reach. 

I wish it was ioi making this and it was a smaller scale affair than it will inevitably be. The recent Hitman games have been the most reminiscent of GoldenEye/Perfect Dark in terms of structure. 

This is a problem in general.

Almost everything Microsoft does would be better served by being smaller, more focused and more cut-meal. This is why Gears Tactics is such a great game. This way Microsoft would have more releases throughout the year, less risk of failure and a more balanced and diversed offering. 

They are making a lot of big bets now with studios that haven't proven their worth yet and on the opposite side an audience with massive, unrealistic expectations.

I mean, putting together one of your biggest studios staffed will all new people (so no existing culture) and making a AAAA (yes 4, that is how Microsoft recruits) straight away is more or less doomed to fail if you ask me. Well established studios barely pull these games of. 

4 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Oh sure, completely agree with that, but MS coming out with dev interviews and obviously making a big deal out of it by banging it onto TGA seems like they want to have their cake and eat it.

Was all of this surprise at a defunct franchise being resurrected aimed at Streets of Rage 4 as well too, or did that one get a pass simply because there had been a dearth of sideways scrolling beat-em-ups for a long time? Well, except for Scott Pilgrim and Castle Crashers I guess, plus the Castle Crashers remaster which I think crashed and burned almost immediately...

8 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Oh sure, completely agree with that, but MS coming out with dev interviews and obviously making a big deal out of it by banging it onto TGA seems like they want to have their cake and eat it.

This. The Initiative is apparently their most well funded studio if the rumors are true. They definitely expect a return... and not some filler for Game Pass that won't sign up new subscribers. 

This is not Battletoads, Crackdown 3 or Recore style filler material that has no expectations attached to it. 

14 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

Was all of this surprise at a defunct franchise being resurrected aimed at Streets of Rage 4 as well too, or did that one get a pass simply because there had been a dearth of sideways scrolling beat-em-ups for a long time? Well, except for Scott Pilgrim and Castle Crashers I guess, plus the Castle Crashers remaster which I think crashed and burned almost immediately...

In fairness that sort of came out of nowhere and was a very small scale project. MS have been hyping up The Initiative for months as this AAA game development supergroup. It feels a bit like a modern equivalent of The Travelling Willburys forming and announcing that their first song is going to be a cover of Agadoo.

13 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I mean, putting together one of your biggest studios staffed will all new people (so no existing culture) and making a AAAA (yes 4, that is how Microsoft recruits) straight away is more or less doomed to fail if you ask me. Well established studios barely pull these games of. 

Yep. But it makes news though doesn't it I guess. And more importantly, for MS,  gets people to subscribe to the services! :) 

19 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

I mean Sega have always been the king of strike-while-the-iron-is-cold nostalgia sequels, even when they still had consoles they'd come out with Space Harrier sequels 15 years after the original, or an Outrun sequel 20 years after the last, which all inevitably did poorly because no one cared anymore.

15 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Yep. But it makes news though doesn't it I guess. And more importantly, for MS,  gets people to subscribe to the services! :) 

I believe you subscribe to Game Pass for the total value offered. Not because of a single game or franchise. I believe 3rd party content is almost more important for it then Microsoft's own offerings, although having a good core catalog is a good justifier for people to not lapse their subscription. 

I guess this is also why Microsoft is focused on service games over singleplayer games... if you play service games, you can't lapse your subscription since you are locked in. If you play singleplayer games, you can easily complete them and unsubscribe. If Sony brings out a Game Pass/Stadia competitor... I would subscribe one-two months a year and play all their new games and then repeat that every year. This is what many people do with streaming services besides maybe Netflix. Just pick a different one each month for a small monthly fee. 

10 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Wtf is this shit?!

Perfect Dark is notable because it is one face of the triumvirate of the greatest FPS of all time, standing alongside Halo CE and Far Cry 2.

It has legendary status, and with good reason. The Combat Simulator is unarguably the most successful and innovative implementation of sheer FPS purity ever.

I very much doubt anything like this what will be on offer here sadly, but if all the developers did was successfully re-engineered that single game mode to suit modern online multiplayer, it would be the FPS of the generation.

I should have said "...and improved on Goldeneye in a number of areas". It was a great game, but what I meant was that the setting was nothing to write home about, and not really worth revisiting now. What was great about PD was the ethos of experimentation in the game, whereby you could stick remote mines on unsuspecting guards, or make them "dance" using the laser, or just John Woo your way through the level with dual pistols. I don't really care about reviving classic non-characters like Joanna Dark or the other ones, but something with the same approach, the same hyper-specific gunfights, and the same sheer variety of stuff to play with would be great.

20 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I mean Sega have always been the king of strike-while-the-iron-is-cold nostalgia sequels, even when they still had consoles they'd come out with Space Harrier sequels 15 years after the original, or an Outrun sequel 20 years after the last, which all inevitably did poorly because no one cared anymore.

What? Outrun 2 didn't do poorly. They put out multiple versions, and ported it to more or less everything that could run it. I guess it's hard to judge how successful an arcade game is, but judging by the number of Outrun 2 machines you found in random arcades and service stations, it must have done pretty well.

14 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I believe you subscribe to Game Pass for the total value offered. Not because of a single game or franchise. I believe 3rd party content is almost more important for it then Microsoft's own offerings, although having a good core catalog is a good justifier for people to not lapse their subscription. 

I guess this is also why Microsoft is focused on service games over singleplayer games... if you play service games, you can't lapse your subscription since you are locked in. If you play singleplayer games, you can easily complete them and unsubscribe. If Sony brings out a Game Pass/Stadia competitor... I would subscribe one-two months a year and play all their new games and then repeat that every year. This is what many people do with streaming services besides maybe Netflix. Just pick a different one each month for a small monthly fee. 

Actually Phil Spencer has said that he doesn't believe too many service games is the way to go with Gamepass because people don't have time to play multiple service games constantly. What tends to happen is that a few service games suck the air out of the room and if all people are playing are a few service games there's almost no point in them being subscribed to Gamepass and having access to a huge library.

People seem to have built this narrative that Gamepass will equal a massive influx of service games but I think Microsoft are probably more interested in having a steady stream of smaller games with the odd tentpole. 

Perfect Dark improved on GoldenEye in every way, which is an amazing achievement when you think about it. It was like – and actually probably was the reality – that it had a near infinite budget and non-existent time constraints to just explore every avenue and pack it with ideas and game modes and other assorted stuff. I had a memory that the alien levels were rubbish, but was actually surprised that I enjoyed them when I played it through recently. The story is still a hodgepodge of hokey sci-fi twaddle saying that. Maybe a Daniel Carrington spin-off would bare more fruit. Just him puttering around his big house or his institution perhaps. Scalding people for riddling his walls with bullets.

Zero will always be my biggest disappointment, maybe in life if I'm being honest with myself. Aside from anything else it was horrendous to look at. Objectively offensive to the eye.

7 minutes ago, K said:

I should have said "...and improved on Goldeneye in a number of areas". It was a great game, but what I meant was that the setting was nothing to write home about, and not really worth revisiting now. What was great about PD was the ethos of experimentation in the game, whereby you could stick remote mines on unsuspecting guards, or make them "dance" using the laser, or just John Woo your way through the level with dual pistols. I don't really care about reviving classic non-characters like Joanna Dark or the other ones, but something with the same approach, the same hyper-specific gunfights, and the same sheer variety of stuff to play with would be great.

Yes I get your point, but I think you are missing mine. All that stuff was indeed great, but it is really just window dressing compared to the real and crucial innovation, which is and remains the Combat Simulator.

I’m always more than a little aghast when people talk about the story campaign as if it was the essence of the game. It’s like they bought ABBA’s ‘The Visitors’, but only really listened to Two for the Price of One.

I realise that it'll probably retain little of what I most loved about the first one: sub-10 minute levels with target times and per-difficulty-level saving of record times (because who cares about time attacking these days except for speedrunners who make up a minuscule fraction of the audience?) and customisable multiplayer Sims (because who cares about bots to pad out the numbers now we have online multiplayer?).

And obviously it's just a cinematic trailer, no gameplay details yet, won't be out for years...

... But I still think this is the most excited I've been about a game announcement since the Shenmue 3 announcement at E3 2015! :omg: (Which I never played either, but I'm glad it exists!)

Perfect Dark really was fantastic. Yes the alien stuff was rubbish but this was the late 90s but what they managed to get running on an N64 with the expansion pack was incredible and I’m glad we got the XBLA release which sorted out all of the performance issues. Hard to believe it’s been a decade since that came out.

My only concern about the trailer is they seem to have given Jo an American accent again.

30 minutes ago, K said:

It was a great game, but what I meant was that the setting was nothing to write home about, and not really worth revisiting now.

It's still a great setting, hence why stuff like Storm Area 51, synth wave, and Cyberpunk 2077 exists.

I guess it'll be done to death (if not already) once people are tired of CP2077 though.

4 hours ago, Popo said:

Lets not forget Timesplitters 2! 

The evolutionary missing link, perhaps?

Timesplitters 2 multiplayer mode is incredible fun, but the single player never nailed it for me. I think it was something about the disjointed setting just didn't draw me in. 

Whoever said that Hitman is the closest thing these days is right. However I always feel in the Hitman games that you never want to go loud, and I get OCD about Silent Assassin. But with Goldeneye and PD shooting everything in sight was always a valid option. The cheats and records were based on times, not stealth. 

Goldeneye had its share of duff levels too, it's just PD's tend to be towards the end. But it's a game overstuffed with everything, and the best levels are so good. The villa was probably my favourite. 

I hope they keep some of the series goofiness. If there's no big head and paintball cheats it's a crime. 

I'm really excited for this just because it'll hopefully be a high-tech stealth action game that hopefully focuses on freedom-of-choice with globetrotting sandboxy levels (I've never played PD1 so I don't know if that's actually what it was).

Now Splinter Cell, Deus Ex and MGS are all defunct or AWOL there isn't that much of this stuff around is there? IOI's James Bond game will hopefully be another addition to the genre.

42 minutes ago, kensei said:

Timesplitters 2 multiplayer mode is incredible fun, but the single player never nailed it for me. I think it was something about the disjointed setting just didn't draw me in. 

Yup, TS2 had one good level, and that was the Goldeneye rip off.

The multiplayer and shooting gallery thingy were amazing.

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Maybe a Daniel Carrington spin-off

May I propose - a stealth action title where the objective is to sneak up on Old Man Carrington and tickle his belly before he sees you, prompting him to say his much-loved catchphrase - “Ah, Joanna! How did you get there?”

Pester Carrington through 12 different levels of sneaking fun; watch as his frustration builds as he tries to execute the day to day operations of an international spy agency as you yet again give him a jolly good fright in ever more unlikely settings; thrill at your selection of tickling gadgets, including feather dusters and drones (with feather duster attachments).

Could do well. Could do not so well. The market is fickle and hard to predict.