Cyberpunk 2077 PC tech chat and tips

On 17/12/2020 at 14:28, Dark Soldier said:

CP2077 -> engine -> config -> base -> general.ini

Add the below:

[Rendering/AsyncCompute]
DynamicTexture = false

Stops the random times low quality textures load in. Seems its on a console setting on PC. No FPS hit and looks better.

Thanks for this. Will check this out. Missed this post.

Anyone using reshade? There’s a few presets out there for it. It does take about 5-10 fps off it though when using it.

I’m not a big fan of the orange or amber glow the game seems to have on default.

https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/game/2052/

I’m using the realistic fx one at the moment with the nvidia sharpening at 60.

Playing in 1440p at dlss auto at the moment and has improved the visuals with me. Only cascade shadow resolution at medium at the moment for the extra 5fps.

2 hours ago, Zero9X said:

Thanks for this. Will check this out. Missed this post.

Anyone using reshade? There’s a few presets out there for it. It does take about 5-10 fps off it though when using it.

I’m not a big fan of the orange or amber glow the game seems to have on default.

https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/game/2052/

I’m using the realistic fx one at the moment with the nvidia sharpening at 60.

Playing in 1440p at dlss auto at the moment and has improved the visuals with me. Only cascade shadow resolution at medium at the moment for the extra 5fps.

DLSS on auto is why it's improved the visuals. Auto DLSS is far too aggressive to be used on anything except 4k.

If you stop using auto DLSS you won't need the sharpening either.

On 22/12/2020 at 18:21, Sumire said:

Yeah thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

It runs mostly 60fps at max setting and 4K, but in the city is does drop occasionally when driving and in high populations busy areas to say 55. To maintain a 60fps framerate with RTX on, reflections on, no shadows, I have to use Performance mode, but again it does drop sometimes to 45fps in busy areas or in big gunfights. I think I am maybe just expecting too much for 4K and RTX, and I guess this game is pretty cutting edge as well as not been the best optimized. 

Install MSI afterburner and enable in game overlay, with GPU usage enabled. If your GPU is at 90-100% you are not being bottlenecked by your CPU. If utilisation is less than that, an upgrade could net gains. 

6700 is still a great CPU though, and as someone else said I would wait a wee while until the 5xxx series Ryzens are easily available and make the jump. 

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

DLSS on auto is why it's improved the visuals. Auto DLSS is far too aggressive to be used on anything except 4k.

If you stop using auto DLSS you won't need the sharpening either.

I have a 2070 super, should i turn Auto DLSS off? I play at 1440p. Ryzen 7 2700x and 16gb Ram if that makes any difference

4 minutes ago, sbrandon111 said:

I have a 2070 super, should i turn Auto DLSS off? I play at 1440p. Ryzen 7 2700x and 16gb Ram if that makes any difference

Stick it on balanced and it should look nicer! I think quality is for 1080p, balanced for 1440 and performance for 4k. If I am not mistaken. 

9 hours ago, SuperCapes said:

Install MSI afterburner and enable in game overlay, with GPU usage enabled. If your GPU is at 90-100% you are not being bottlenecked by your CPU. If utilisation is less than that, an upgrade could net gains. 

6700 is still a great CPU though, and as someone else said I would wait a wee while until the 5xxx series Ryzens are easily available and make the jump. 

While doing that, also turn on cpu utilisation and see how much the cpu is being used!

One of the analysis videos from a while back suggested that "auto" DLSS just sets it to what it thinks is right for the resolution you pick. Apparently it went for something like Performance at 4K, Balanced for 1440p and Quality for 1080p.

Personally I use Quality DLSS at 1440p.

11 minutes ago, sbrandon111 said:

Tempted to try the reshade stuff, but I really only want the image a bit sharper. I’ve turned off film grain, aberration and motion blur. Hopefully changing the DLSS setting will fix the sharpness. It defaults to Ray Tracing Ultra before I turn those others off.

Just use the nvidia control panel, right click desktop, manage 3d settings, program settings, find cyberpunk (or add), click image sharpening and  add some...less is more! ;)

Zero is the best. Honestly I find that sharpness effect to be absolutely fucking horrendous.

I'm playing 1440p, DLSS balanced, and no sharpening filter. I have film grain and chromatic aberration both off (I especially hate the latter), and motion blur on the lowest setting before off (I like a little, but not too much).

43 minutes ago, Thor said:

Zero is the best. Honestly I find that sharpness effect to be absolutely fucking horrendous.

I'm playing 1440p, DLSS balanced, and no sharpening filter. I have film grain and chromatic aberration both off (I especially hate the latter), and motion blur on the lowest setting before off (I like a little, but not too much).

Same as my settings, although my 1440p is Ultrawide (3340x1440).

What's wrong with auto DLSS please? Seems to be giving me the best results of a 70-90 fps at 1440p, only drops below 70 in busy marketplaces and when I did the first BD thing in the basement of Lizzies bar, it looks good to me! I've got all that film grain and motion blur stuff off just as I did with the console version, everything else is set to high/ultra, i7 10700k / 3080. If I set it to quality I get 60-70 with dips below 60 occasionally, and balanced seems to be the same as auto so I'm guessing auto is setting it to balanced anyway? I'm new to this PC stuff so apologies in advance if these are stupid questions, I'm very happy with the way it looks and is playing.

Auto seems to set it to Balanced at 1440p, yes. I don't think there's anything wrong with using it.

I've found DLSS messes with some of the adverts and video displays in the world, at 1440p at least, but higher DLSS settings seem to have better results. I've found that Quality works best for me overall, although I also get the odd drop below 60fps. I'm tempted to try Balanced again now though.