King of Fighters XV - Reveal Trailer

Interested to see how MAX mode works in this game. You couldn't do EX moves without it in 14 but you clearly can in this game. It doesn't seem to be a requirement to cancel supers into climax either. Wonder if it'll have free cancels or something more customisable like in 13. 

I was never a fan of Max Mode or Stock Breaking in previous games, so the idea of being able to go straight into the appropriate super without worrying about a timer ticking down would be pretty awesome.

I'm also surprised that KoF 98's counter special move thing never returned as far as I can tell. (When you did a special after someone attacked, your initial frames would absorb it in most cases if you timed it right)

There is still some kind of Max Mode in there from the earlier clips, just not sure how it's implemented. In KOF14 you can still do combos straight into Super, just doing an enhanced super from Max costs less meter. Also the Max Mode itself allows you to get creative with all sorts of fancy extended combos, juggles etc. I loved the flexibility of it. Wasn't as punishingly difficult as 13's combos but still allowed for lots of creativity. I'm hoping they have something pretty similar again. I think 14 overall did a great job of making KOF slightly more accessible to regular humans whilst preserving KOF neutral/pressure/fundamentals etc. 

Been playing 2002UM on Steam a bit more recently to try out the new netcode. It's performed really really well so far. My biggest hope for KOF15 is that they use the same sort of rollback netcode for it. Max Mode combos in that game are also infinitely harder as you have to manually dash after Max cancelling and try to link your next normal. It's brutal.

• 2 weeks later...

New trailer to round out the Sacred Treasures team with Chorizo.

Oh, didn't realise Kyo hadn't been posted:

I didnt watch this morning's Japan Fighting zgames Roundtable (5am!) but the chatter seems to suggest that SNK don't appear to be using rollback netcode for KOF XV? Hugely disappointing if so but it may just be assumptions people are making from them saying that fighting games are meant to be played locally.

After the success of the guilty gear strive beta I can see players banding together to try and bully SNK into using rollback and I’m honestly all for it as the game needs to avoid being dead on arrival like 14 was.

So the intriguing thing now is to see if the people's champion Terry Bogard is next, now that we have Andy and Joe, or will they swerve us with a different member for the Southtown Team and put Terry on a highly requested Mark of the Wolves team instead. I've love them to do the latter and throw in B. Jenet and Khushnood Butt. Probably gonna be the standard Fatal Fury team though. 

The last few trailers are pretty underwhelming. It looks exactly like 14 with a coat of paint. No new moves , supers or outfits for Joe , Andy and now Yuri. If they are going to focus on 1 character trailers at least show some stuff I wasn't playing nearly two decades ago.

5 hours ago, Down by Law said:

The last few trailers are pretty underwhelming.

I feel just the same, classic SNK this ain't sadly.  Just looking at the latest Yuri video, I can't reconcile the awesomely cool and moody music from the earlier KOF game that they used in the trailer, with the colourful etc. art style of the gameplay.

On 01/04/2021 at 10:53, imp said:

Does King always sound half-drunk, or is that new for this game?

Maybe the patrons at her bar keep buying her drinks. Trivia factoid though: King has had the same voice actor since 1992. Quite an impressive run. Given SNK's history, I wonder how many different places her paycheck  has come from for doing the same job. 

Interesting that King/Mai/Yuri haven’t been announced as a team though. Yuri usually goes there when there isn’t space on the Art of Fighting team, and Mai and King don’t usually have a team outside of the generic Women’s team. Maybe there’s no Takuma again this year and it’ll be Robert/Ryo/Yuri and Mai/King/Alice again. 

Also great to see the Pao Pao Cafe return! I

Excited to try and play some Shermie in this game. Her towards + B cartwheel kick is special cancellable in this game when it hasn't been in any other version. This will make her significantly easier to play and give her those light - > light - > command normal - > special move confirms that she didn't have previously. 

Nobody from my 14 team has been announced yet so she is currently team captain by default.