Steam Secret Santa 2020

Thank you Santa for Spellforce 3 (which I've had a real hankering to play lately and is installing as I type) and Xanadu Next, an RPG I've been looking at for a while :D

Merry Christmas my fellow Santas, good to see happy people. I'm off to get coffee and chocolate now and settle down for a bit of a session :)

10 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

@bradigor I reviewed it a ways back. It's good but I didn't quite gel with it https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2019/03/11/while-true-learn-review/

Thanks will have a read later.

Can't wait to get stuck in with my games. Umurangi Generation has already peaked my son's interest because of the photography.

Umurangi Generation's a bit clunky, controls-wise, but I absolutely love its aesthetic and atmosphere. Love the passive storytelling, too. Definitely my cyberpunk game of the year, hopefully bradigor and son enjoy it :D

20 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

@bradigor Had my eye on Infra for a while too if photography games are your bag: https://store.steampowered.com/app/251110/INFRA/ and for a more chilled out experience, the beautiful looking Alba: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1337010/Alba_A_Wildlife_Adventure/

INFRA added to the Wisahlist. Already have Alba on there.

14 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Good grief, my Santa really went for it. :) I received:

The Longest Five Minutes - this had been on my list for a while as I really liked the premise, so I’m keen to check it out...

Puyo Puyo Tetris - I’ve always wanted to try this and a Steam version seems like it would be perfect for me, so yay.

And Bayonetta and Nier Automata - I played these on console originally but having them in my Steam library will be so much better (especially since we’re in a new generation and I may be retiring the old consoles...)

An amazingly generous selection (not to mention the earlier surprise of Noita!) - many thanks to @JPR and my Santa; I hope you have a great Xmas :wub: 

Stuck Nier on for about half an hour just to make sure everything worked and it's ace - I got the DualShock 4 working after jumping into Big Picture mode and tweaking the game settings for controller, and during play everything is super-smooth and awesome. I might not commit to a full playthrough just yet (I mean, the game's huge) but first impressions are strong. :D 

Many thanks Santa!

Got a load of interesting games that I'd not even heard of as I'm not up to date on novelty pc indie games but they look awesome.

I really appreciate the effort as my wishlist wasn't very up to date. 

Something called Orwell sounds right up my alley and stuff like the game from cyan is my kettle of fish too. Can't wait to get in involved with them. 

Happy Christmas everyone :D

As is tradition (is it tradition? It is now) I've sunk a bit of time into some of my Secret Santa stuff. I also got a couple of gift cards from the family so have more games than I know what to do with. Technically I had more games than I knew what to do with before, but these ones are new!

Post Void

Oh my god this is difficult. It's like Doom only deep-fried, and your health constantly leaks out of the bottom of of your head (which you are holding in your left hand) and you can only regain health by killing enemies. It feels like the fastest thing on planet Earth and took me about seven or eight goes to get past the first level. I reckon I'll give it a good crack but I'm also far too old to be good at things like this :)

One Step From Eden

Coming across like a mix of Slay the Spire, Into the Breach and the Active Time Battle system from the Final Fantasy series, this is the pick of the bunch by a mile so far - first couple of runs were very perfunctory (I have spells and a gun pew pew oh no I am dead) but after unlocking a couple of the other characters it feels like you can really start to have some kind of synergy. My favoured build so far is eerily reminiscent of Slay the Spire's Shield Bash deck - only in this, there's a bit more risk to throwing out a large chunk of damage. When casting that spell you not only lose all your shield, but if the attack hits, you can recover your shield if you're stood in the right place. And if you're not, it's gone.

The game is absolute madness and the bosses are utterly destroying me, but after a few hours of getting to grips with things (such as learning that four spaces away is an important metric) it's starting to make more sense now. With eight characters each sporting multiple builds it's likely to have legs too.

Muse Dash

Unbearably cute rhythm-action thing! Initially thought that it would be a bit simple only with two button inputs and then I tried some of the harder songs and my brain started leaking out of my ear, so I think we're going to be just fine.

• gospvg unpinned this topic