Steam Secret Santa 2020

Yeah, I should note mine is a bit lengthy, and includes prerelease stuff as I use it for tracking games I'll want to consider in future. Nothing in there that's actually available that I won't appreciate, though!

8 hours ago, fragglerock said:

Hey Santa! I made a list of things I have across platforms not just steam...
https://pastebin.com/A63UERz0

The only sensible way to run this operation is for people to just populate their Steam wish lists, that way what folks have elsewhere is irrelevant. Whilst the fun is hugely in the giving, I'm sure we all would like a little surprise from Santa that we know we'd like, right?

7 hours ago, layten said:

Dear mystery Santa. I'll be updating my wishlist when the sale starts, or please feel more than welcome to ignore it completely, the left field surprises are always great.

This as well. 

1 minute ago, Len said:

This as well. 

Going off the beaten track is great, and I used to look at what people played a lot of and took a punt - but things like Humble, Epic giveaways, Game Pass, PS+ etc mean that there's a lot of scope for people to already have something. It would be a shame for both the recipient and the Santa too, especially if they've spent a while trying to pick something left-field and then it's a duplicate.

I've mentioned this many times before, but one of the best things about this whole endeavour is this thread once Santa's have delivered - it's just such a happy place (and by goodness don't we need that right now). I just want everybody to get something fun!

I'm definitely overthinking this.

33 minutes ago, strider said:

Just so I'm clear. Do I buy the game (games) in question and buy them as a gift and then gift them to you JPR?

No - Valve changed gifting so that you could only gift a game directly to a recipient (rather than dropping it in JPR's inventory to send on.) So instead we're sending JPR digital gift cards based on how much we intend to spend. It can be a bit tricky due to the denominations, but usually there are enough offers for everyone to figure something out. :) 

10 hours ago, fragglerock said:

Or if you have a key you can pass that on (I think @JPR can confirm?) but obv don't buy keys from dodgy cheap key places because you risk the recipients steam being banned!

Yes, passing on keys is fine.

Current status: impatiently awaiting 18:00 so I can prepare to ruin christmas pick out some nice games for my victim giftee.

(despite knowing Steam will inevitably throw a wobbly as everyone jumps on the sale and I'll be unable to do anything until later in the evening anyway)

49 minutes ago, Wiper said:

(despite knowing Steam will inevitably throw a wobbly as everyone jumps on the sale and I'll be unable to do anything until later in the evening anyway)

Yup, definitely happening right now.  I can almost see the autoscaling server commands being spun up as more log in.

Quick note if you're planning to buy later: If you can see the discounts on your victim's list, screenshot them, or add them to an offline document, or something in case everything goes down and you don't have anything as reference. ;) 

Yeah, I have a spreadsheet with the highlights; alas that one of the games I particularly wanted to grab immediately switched to a 'View Details' on sale starting, however (which is interesting, as it didn't do that prior to the sale), so I'm going to have to wait for Steam to get back on its feet before I can finish the spreadsheet off and get on with decision-making :(

Ooh, helpful! I'd somehow never come across that before, very convenient :)

Edit: probably the searchable list that comes up on the front-page is pre-filtered, so you need to use the top search bar to find what you're after - I fell afoul of that, briefly!

5 minutes ago, Herbalizer said:

Hmmm, it says you aren't eligible to receive a gift card yet. I presume we have to have been friends for a certain amount of time? 

Bugger, yes and it's three days, sorry we won't be able to use the gift cards.

• gospvg unpinned this topic