Death to 2020 - Brooker mockumentary on Netflix

Glad I steered clear of this thread and went in cold, because I thought it was great. It’s Screen Wipe by another name, and it was brilliant. I don’t disagree that it would have been better with Brooker delivering the Brooker lines, but his absence didn’t dull the effect for me. If anything, Brooker’s delivery to the camera can be too acerbic some times, so this benefitted in that respect!

It’s also strangely comforting to see a show that began life on BBC 4, and which I enjoyed for many years, make the transition to Netflix and be enjoyed (or not) by a global audience. The concept, writing and execution is the same, so it’s all very validating. 

31 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

A lot of people mentioning Laurence Fishburne here. Now, I haven't seen the show yet, but is it possible it's just Brooker under bad HDR calibration?

It's someone else who gets turned black. Though that's unrealistic for other reasons.

Spoiler

You need a soul for a soul transplant.

I went in cold as well on this, thought it was really good, although only Sam Jackson came close to giving a Brooker like delivery (especially during the George Floyd/BLM part).  It was broad strokes coverage at times but I thought it was effective and made us laugh a lot.

I thought it was ok, but would have preferred the old Brooker presented format. This new format seemed to just have celebs 'acting' Brooker's lines, but if you can ignore the awkward acting (ahem, Hugh Grant) it was still the same great writing talent.

Clunk describing Biden as looking like a ticket inspector on a ghost train nearly made me choke. I'm glad Clunk was still in it, possibly my favourite bits.

There was a slight disconnect with the voiceover at times, which it felt like Brooker had written for himself. But otherwise I thought this was really good. They absolutely struck the right tone for the BLM section, for which it felt like Jackson and Jones stepped out of character a bit. And I thought Hugh Grant was great. I think I probably prefer the regular Wipe format, but as a stab at a different approach designed for a global audience it worked really well. 

A mixed bag - some of it was pretty weak. I missed Brooker’s acerbic delivery, and didn’t see the point in using extremely well-known and instantly recognisable actors playing the fake talking heads, moreso when those actors were playing actual people, like the Queen. Sam Jackson was good, but they could have easily just had Sam Jackson commenting rather than him playing a character. 

Considering 2020 wasn’t exactly lacking in material, this felt like a swing and a glancing blow.

I think Brooker's cynical, sarcastic acerbic delivery is the only way to withstand and eventually enjoy any look back over such an awful year tbh, for me anyway. I don't ever want to see Trump's face again in the same way I resent Michael Gove or David Cameron suddenly appearing on tv or in the news without warning when I was happier forgetting they existed. (The guardian did it again the other day with the school news, the cunts, they're aware it causes pain but do it anyway)

It veered into being smug and self satisfied like all 'political satire' does, which is fine for most people I guess, I know others have a higher tolerance. The lines weren't that different to the wipes but it was nowhere near as incisive. 

His anti viral wipe I loved so it's not just the subject matter. But then after another 6 months I'm more fed up of it. 

I really did spend too much of it distracted by thinking how good and well Samuel L Jackson looked and remembering how cool his voice is. 

We just watched this and thought it was great. A good summing up and the usual scathing Brooker analysis. A few chuckles and some genuine belly laughs. In fact I think all the cameos got a few chuckles.

Mostly I was amazed how much I’d forgotten happened this year outside the pandemic. A good way to say adieu to a fucking nightmare year.

I enjoyed this but can't help but feel that the global focus has robbed us of a well-deserved Brooker evisiceration of our 'home grown' bellends. Hancock's many media clownshows, for example. So many people deserved a mauling that would have been really cathartic to watch. 

That said, I can't complain about the issues and targets chosen, they are very much the global issues that needed addressing. And the SNL/Daily Show sketch format is one that Netflix will have been dying to clone. Take some smart British writers and combine with some deferential US comedians, leaving your audience laughing and feeling slightly sick all at once. 

I guess a 'UK Wipe' would be too much to ask for as well, even though I'm sure Brooker could sit in front of his TV and pretty much one-take it. The UK media/government really need the sort of shoeing that very few people can deliver. 

I thought this was good. What I would like is an alternate version with the narration done by Charlie Brooker in his traditional wipe style, which I think would work better for a Brit audience who are more familiar. 

But then I really like Philomena Cunk and Barry Shitpeas so you might not agree with me. 

I quite enjoyed it but it was lacking the sucker punch you get from some of Brooker's edgier asides. By comparison, if you watch his Viralwipe there's a lot more of those riskier barbs that resonate more with me and the self-deprecation that brings it all together.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000j4bl/charlie-brookers-antiviral-wipe

A lot of the gags in this were pretty obvious and have been done before. Any Brooker is better than none. 

I thought this was great - I’m really surprised at how negative a response it’s received, I really enjoyed it. The psychotic soccer mom and scientist characters were especially good, particularly the scientist getting increasingly annoyed at the Adam Curtis imagery they were putting over the top.

Hugh Grant fondly reminiscing about the battle of Endor nearly made me choke with laughter. 

I'm watching this now with my morning cuppa and have had a good few chuckles already. It's clearly a Brooker script although agree the Viralwipe episode was a lot tighter. 

The style of voiceover seems like a misstep but all the Brooker stuff is there. The fake Twitter feed was great "saw an ugly baby today, what an asshole" :lol:

On 29/12/2020 at 01:20, Hanzo the Razor said:

I'm just about finished this. It's a bit of a mixed bag but bloody hell. Hugh Grant. Every fibre of my being has always told me I should hate Hugh Grant. Then he keeps doing these things that make me love the fucker. His delivery and performance here is spot on.

It was alright. Better than I feared. Not peak Brooker but not as dumbed down as it could have been. Grant utterly nailed the David Starkey character though (except adding some likeability that is not there in the real life version).