IGNORED

Did EA just have the worst generation ever?

BitterToad

Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2 and Apex Legends are all solid gold classics as far as I’m concerned.

Battlefield 1 is my favourite multiplayer FPS of all time that has given me hundreds upon hundreds of hours of thunderous entertainment on its mud-splattered maps. Titanfall 2’s campaign is the best and most inventive of its kind in years and Apex Legends came out of nowhere and nailed the battle royale concept while bringing a whole host of innovations to the table.

Jedi: Fallen Order which I completed a couple of days ago was superb too.

They bodged or at the very least delivered sequels that were inferior to their predecessors in the likes of Mass Effect: Andromeda, Mirror’s Edge Catalyst and Battlefield V but they were still decent games in and of themselves.

Haven’t played any of their sports franchises or racing games this past gen so can’t pass comment on those but obviously EA have been at the forefront of the lootbox spectre that’s come to define the more egregiously greedy side of the industry. 

For that reason and the way they frequently fuck over their dev studios with a combination of unreasonable development cycles and sending games out to die they remain in many ways a pox on the industry but there’s no doubt they’ve still delivered some exceptional videogames this past 6 or 7 years.

That period during the 360/PS3 era when they were green-lighting unusual concepts like Mirror’s Edge and delivering brilliant cinematic action games like Dead Space is missed no doubt, but much as we all love to hate them I think it’s a real stretch to suggest that they’ve had a disastrous generation in terms of their game output. They’ve delivered some absolute bangers.

Battlefield 4 is fucking excellent, and I also really enjoyed Hardline. TF2 is great, and Apex is the best battle royale game. They’ve published some really cool indie games.

On the other hand, they’ve presided over BioWare shitting away all their goodwill and completely wasted the Star Wars licence with generic shite (haven’t played Squadrons yet though). I’d say their biggest failure is wasting all the talent at Criterion, who have barely released anything and had a really cool looking game cancelled. Add in some stupid release decisions and plenty of scummy business practices and I’d say it’s pretty much business as usual for EA. 

As others have pointed out, pretty much every big publisher has put out a lot less games over the last gen. Rockstar went from GTA4, 5 and RDR, to just the pathetic mess that was RDR2. Bethesda went from releasing Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3 to the boring shite of Fallout 4 and 76. As budgets have gotten higher, publishers have either gone for reskinning the same thing every year (multiple times if they’re Ubisoft), or spending years doing reskins of bigger games. Given that the entire triple A industry basically just follows the FIFA template now, shitting out the same game with a different shirt on each year, I don’t think EA look that bad. 

I don't think they had a bad generation at all with their game releases. They definitely had their worst press in any generation though, which has definitely lost them at least one customer (me). I'm still pissed off to this day about the lack on content in Battlefront 1's core game. Glad I never got into BF2, I think I might have lost my mind.

21 hours ago, BitterToad said:

EA gave us the Mass Effect series

:blink: DID THEY FUCK! That was Bioware, with Microsoft backing it. Then EA bought Bioware - the only thing EA did for Mass Effect was to completely fuck up the third game with a vital character sliced off as payable DLC, and force Bioware to use the shite Frostbite engine (it's absolute shit, I fucking hate it!) for Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect Andromeda - both still good games in spite of EA's complete and utter fuckwittery.

I don't think they had anything like the worst generation ever but I think its been poor when you consider how big a company they are. 

Is Need for Speed still considered a best in class arcade racer? Maybe I'm forgetting something important but I don't think any Need for Speed game this generation has been up there with the Forza Horizon games. 

1 hour ago, bear said:

I don't think they had anything like the worst generation ever but I think its been poor when you consider how big a company they are. 

Is Need for Speed still considered a best in class arcade racer? Maybe I'm forgetting something important but I don't think any Need for Speed game this generation has been up there with the Forza Horizon games. 

I don't think anybody would say that about NFS this gen. 

I think all the NFS games suffer from the same problem, which is that they have insanely talented people working on them who haven't been given enough time to do a proper job. They almost always feel like they're 80% of the way towards being a really great arcade racer, but just don't quite have the balance right.

Games in general suffer from the problem of not having enough time and resource, but its particularly acute with NFS as they're so polished in other areas. 

I think EA hasn’t been so bad this gen, their games have been consistently good. Fifa (micro transactions aside) is the best its ever been. They have had a bit of a bumpy start with the Star Wars games but all the games that have been released have so far all been excellent. Titanfall 2 is one of the best games this gen and Apex Legends is awesome as well. 

If you want to talk about the gaming company thats had their worst gen ever, nobody can beat the downfall of Konami this gen. In comparison to that, EA have been amazing.

There's not a lot of support for the OP in here, but I'd agree with them, in the HD gen EA tried new stuff, worked with external developers and had a bunch of hit franchises.

Their most successful thing this gen has been in that same mould - working with Respawn on Titanfall and Apex, even though it's been sometimes mismanaged.

Everything else feels like decline, some of the old hits are now weird bad cover versions (Andromeda), some of which I think are becoming a bit stock and tired now (Battlefield), and others that have just become gross (Battlefront, Sports MTX)

I don't expect this to change, I think the flop of Anthem and the fact that nostalgia pandering is literally the easiest money in the gaming industry will just see them attempt to coast on this more heavily. It's creatively hidebound, but er... popular.