IGNORED

Did EA just have the worst generation ever?

BitterToad

Quite liked Unravel 2 on the Switch when that was released. (It's on GamePass at the moment too. Worth a look if you like platform puzzlers).

EAPlay and Premium are actually quite good offerings if you look at the backlog of games in there, particularly on the PC too.

But yeah when I think back to what they used to do and the premise of the company all those years ago (remember when they used to have the artists signature on the front of the boxes!!!). Definitely a corporate bemoth now that just throws out mostly FIFA and sports games every year.  But then most big companies do this I guess as well its an expensive business to develop games these days. Lots of risk. 

The biggest fall from the previous gen was Rockstar, who went from:

GTA 4 (and two hefty DLC expansions)

Midnight Club Los Angeles

GTA Chinatown Wars

Red Dead Redemption (and a hefty DLC expansion)

LA Noire

Max Payne 3

GTA 5

to

Red Dead Redemption 2

I love RDR 2, but ouch.

6 minutes ago, Flanders said:

GTA Chinatown Wars

LA Noire

Max Payne 3

GTA 5

You forgot Rockstar Table Tennis! :quote:

17 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

Titanfall 2 - possibly the best FPS of all time

Apex Legends - probably the best Battle Royale game

PvZ 2 and 3 - brilliant 

Sims 4 - global sales powerhouse

Star Wars Squadrons - better than it had any right to be

Anthem. 

We can all write games to prove a point... 

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

Are things really that bad at EA? Has another publisher ever had as bad a generation? Even Ubisoft have managed to get a few half decent games out in the last few years amid all of the awfulness going on over there. 

I didn't buy a single Ubisoft game last generation and none of the ones I played clicked... they just lack a soul. I take Titanfall 2 over anything Ubisoft pushed out. 

13 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

It's a bad game. Seeing as Titanfall 2 literally shits on every other FPS from 20,000 feet though I'd say they could have 250 Anthems and it wouldn't matter. 

Oh absolutely, but as I said in the OP they released it to die literally a week in between the two biggest shooters of the year. If anything Titanfall 2 is the thing I'm saddest about, it deserved to be played by everyone. The servers should still be stuffed full now but because nobody said "this is a terrible business decision" it died and that team are working on Apex exclusively instead of Titanfall 3. I know Apex has its fans but as you've said Tites 2 is one of the best games ever made, ever. 

I'm not saying EA didn't release a single good game. Or that they didn't make any money this gen, quite the opposite. FIFA Ultimate Team went from a 200 million a year game mode to over 20% of EA's entire revenue. It's just a massive shame that they did so very little compared to last gen and that so much of the good they did comes with massive caveats. 

34 minutes ago, Flanders said:

GTA Chinatown Wars

LA Noire

Max Payne 3

GTA 5

Rockstar Table Tennis :quote:

I thought EA had a pretty good generation. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst had a lot wrong with it, but it was great fun to play - the missions weren't up to the standard of the first game, but the open world was fantastic. Fallen Order and SW: Squadrons were really good. The NFS games were actually alright this gen, and I have a huge soft spot for the 2015 reboot. They're all flawed in some way, but all the best games are. If your game doesn't have any flaws, you weren't ambitious enough. Or the publisher ran out of money, and you had to put it out as is. One of the two.

The TF2 servers are stuffed full since it re-released on Steam recently. And if I'd played it before release I'd have shrugged my shoulders and said "send it to market against anything, it's better". The release timing was a little shit, but its had a long sales tail and continues to be discovered by new people. Now it's on Steam I'd expect this to continue. 

Apex is also one of the best games ever made, to be honest. It's (largely) T2's traversal and gunplay merged with Battle Royale and like Titanfall shits on every other BR game I can think of.  

I'm answering the question you set: "Did EA just have the worst generation ever?"

Financially: no

By delivering only sub-par games: no

They released the best FPS, the best Battle Royale game and continued to deliver best in class shooter/creative building/sports/arcade racing and space combat sims and appear to be making shittons of cash on top. 

I'd say they're doing fine.

Yeah not sure where the OP is going with this, I’ve enjoyed lots of EAs output this gen (Mirrors Edge, Fallen Order and Titanfall 2 being highlights but I also enjoyed Andromeda, Battlefront 2 ended up being great once they ripped out the loot boxes) and I loathe their sports titles.

Sure they’re evil incarnate but that goes for pretty much all the major publishers doesn’t it?

Titanfall 2 buys them an awful lot of good will from me. Fallen Order was also a great game which I thoroughly enjoyed and whilst the NFS / Burnout series has been hit and miss, I'm delighted that they've re-released Hot Pursuit.

They've not had anything like as strong a gen as they delivered with the PS3 / 360 era if your main pull is single player action games, but that's as much down to the direction of the industry as anything.