Edge 353: Bugsnax review (also PS5 cover feature)

If Edge were ever in a strong enough position to deny reviews to the biggest games of the day for arbitrary reasons, they sure as hell aren’t in that position any more. I’d like to see them try and argue their relevance after ignoring PS5 Demon’s Souls.

28 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

When Demon's launched it was a weird little curio from the makers of Kings Fall

Whereas I thought, “why have the people who made Armored Core made this Knightmare game”. I don’t think it did any sort of numbers.

You know what, fuck Metal Gear Solid. There’s only one game more deserving of the Bluepoint reassessment than Demon’s, and that’s God Hand.

10 hours ago, MattyP said:

I suppose if you strip away the controller how good is the game itself? Be interesting to read the Edge take on things!

I found the rumble annoying, disabled it, and enjoyed it a lot more without. I'm obviously a tiny minority.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Does Chris Schilling think the “why not both?” meme means “why don’t we have both?”, instead of a rhetorical “why don’t we do both?”.

I mean, it's pretty commonly used in both contexts. Per Know Your Meme: ""Why Don't We Have Both?" is a reaction image that is used in response to various problems that involve choosing between two options or solutions." 

18 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

I mean, it's pretty commonly used in both contexts. Per Know Your Meme: ""Why Don't We Have Both?" is a reaction image that is used in response to various problems that involve choosing between two options or solutions." 

It’s in the context of the sad reality that PS5 games have separate 60 FPS and high quality graphics modes, instead of a single mode that does both. I’ve never read that meme as complaining that you don’t have both of whatever options at once.

This wasn’t meant to be a whole thing.

6 hours ago, BitterToad said:

The idea that there isn't anything interesting to write about a from the ground remake that's taken the game from one to the other is embarrassing, especially when comparing it to Nintendo chucking three ROMs on a Switch cart. 

What has changed from the original other than the presentation? 

7 hours ago, BitterToad said:

The Demon's Souls chat in here is just... of course the remake is worth re-reviewing. When Demon's launched it was a weird little curio from the makers of Kings Fall. Since then it has wholeheartedly changed the course of gaming from the indie scene to AAA. Everything from Hollow Knight to Breath of the Wild has been inspired in part by Demon's and its sequels, and last year EA released a full blown AAA Star Wars game that was basically a wholesale theft of the format.

In the time between Edge's two 9/10 reviews of Demon's Souls it's gone from being a game nobody apart from @Curtis had heard of to a blockbuster flagship exclusive launch title for the Playstation 5. Sony's only exclusive PS5 launch title (if we don't include the bang average Astro Bot #Joke #NeverForget). The idea that there isn't anything interesting to write about a from the ground remake that's taken the game from one to the other is embarrassing, especially when comparing it to Nintendo chucking three ROMs on a Switch cart. 

"Wholeheartedly changed the course of gaming" is certainly an opinion to have. 

1 hour ago, Super Stop and Shop said:

I really hope for their sanity the next editor of Edge doesn't have internet access. 

If only you could talk to these writers, then perhaps you could try and debate games with them, allege alliances...

9 hours ago, Super Stop and Shop said:

I really hope for their sanity the next editor of Edge doesn't have internet access. 

Well given the salary they're probably going to offer, I doubt they'll be able to afford internet access so there's that.

10 hours ago, the_debaser said:

What has changed from the original other than the presentation? 

Presentation goes a long way, as BP spent three years to remake it from the ground up, but: 60 fps, many QoL improvements like 8-way rolling, 3D audio, World Tendency state is more clear, more players supported for online, balance changes, super fast loading, Photo Mode, new non-binary character creator, new animations, new items, new secret room, DualSense haptics and adaptive triggers.