Edge 353: Bugsnax review (also PS5 cover feature)

14 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I still haven’t found last month’s.

Spoiler

at the top-right, you'd think that all of the circles would be black, but certain ones have highlights.

Spoiler

I think that's it, anyway...

• Qazimod changed the title to Edge 353: Bugsnax review (also PS5 cover feature)

I'm a bit sad they didn't review 3D All-Stars now. Imagine the reaction it would have gotten in here when they gave it a 6 because the overall package is a bit meh. 

Says a lot about the games media I bother with that my first reaction was that an 8 for Yakuza seems low. 

Okay, this is way too serious an answer for an edge issue thread but - an edge 8 is a really great score. Their 5 is actually average as it should be, therefore equivalent to 7 in every other outlet. An 8 is like a 9 in those terms. 

8 for LAD is a brilliant score.

Not disputing that at all and I wasn't getting worked up by it "only" getting an 8. I was just commenting on how much other outlets I pay attention to seem to be absolutely loving Yakuza in an almost GOTY type way. 

1 hour ago, Pockets said:

I haven’t read Edge for years, maybe

I can understand taking a look at the remake in the technological context of a new console launch but a whole new review of a game that was old fashioned when originally released (a large part of its appeal) seems odd for such a magazine. 

I honestly don't see why something being a remake should exclude it from critical appraisal, and it's not like Edge have never reviewed remakes before. 

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

Why didn’t they review Mario 3D all stars? That’s also a remake of retro games. 

How should I know? Have you really got a bee in your bonnet about that? 

9 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I didn't realise they'd re-reviewed the ps3 version. A strange thing for them to do. 

They state they don't review games that appear later on other platforms, even if they have changes. But no idea what they did with other remasters. This of course is a high effort remaster but it is still the same core game. Anyway, I don't really care what they review but I understand why people ask the question. 

But from what I understand based on recent review is that they indeed do re-review games when they're substantial or significant remake efforts. 

There's bound to be a grey area between remaster and remake, but come on. Demon's Souls is quite clearly a remake. It may be a faithful remake, unlike say FFVII or Resi 2, but it has been remade. The Mario games were not remade for the collection. Is that really up for interpretation?

Astro will likely end up making my GOTY list so I do think a 7 is a quite harsh. Sure, it's slight but I found it an absolute delight from start to finish way beyond simply showcasing the Dualsense's new features. For what it is - a freebie platformer showcasing the Dualsense but also celebrating PlayStation's history - I thought it was brilliant. Hell, I'd probably give it a higher score for the incredible GPU song alone.

The further I get into Sackboy the more I can understand that 6 though. I was singing its praises in the thread I made but the more the game ups the difficulty the more I find the controls to still not be precise or snappy enough. There's still a slightly sluggish woolliness to the controls, particularly the flutter jump, that make the more demanding sections more frustrating and less satisfying than they should be. There's a lot of good stuff in there but I frequently long for better controls and it does drag the game down for me unfortunately.

Astro is a 9 for me, yes because it’s free but also because as an experience with a new machine it’s right up there with Wii Sports. Took me 9 or 10 glorious hours to platinum and complete, taking in all the game references and memorabilia. I’m just praying for a Christmas Nights style unlock on Christmas Day :D.

Sackboy sounds like a slow burner until you get into it but 6 is surprisingly low.

I think they’ve had too much bah humbug juice this month.

While some of the arguments may not have been made in the... best of faith, I do find it interesting the Edge reviewed Demon's Souls, and that they didn't acknowledge that it was an unusual editorial decision for them. While it definitely doesn't deserve to spoken of in the same tones as Nintendo's set of ROMs, it is still unusual for Edge to review a faithful remake; particularly considering that they haven't reviewed any of Bluepoint's previous efforts.

I can guess at the logic - Demon's Souls is the defining PS5 launch exclusive (alongside Astro Bot) - but I would have expected a mention of that decision-making in the review's preamble, a box-out, or the opening magazine editorial.

3 hours ago, Wiper said:

A shame to see The Pathless and Sackboy score where they did - tempers my expectations for both of them somewhat. On the plus side, I'm now even more intrigued by Bugsnax!

I’m more in disbelief that anyone would ever take any of these Edge opinions seriously. 
But then...there’s no accounting for taste. 

16 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I’m more in disbelief that anyone would ever take any of these Edge opinions seriously. 
But then...there’s no accounting for taste. 

As is my custom, I try to take the words I read seriously, even (especially) if they aren't what I expect. As ever, not knowing who pens which review doesn't help gauge the likelihood that said review will click with my own opinions, but both The Pathless and Sackboy reviews seem well-considered pieces; indeed, a lot of what I read in The Pathless review fits with what I've seen written elsewhere, just with very different focus on certain issues, while the Sackboy review flags things I've been worried about from what I've seen of the game, namely around the handling of Sackboy himself and the over-simplicity of the early game.

Similarly, the Assassin's Creed review is interesting - if I were willing to give Ubisoft any money, it would have likely pushed me to try it, as it sounds like it's ironed out a lot of the issues I had with Origins and Odyssey. Irrespective of whether I'd have ended up agreeing with it, it's also a very enjoyably written review; I wish I knew whose it was, so I could go out of my way to read more of their stuff.