Edge 353: Bugsnax review (also PS5 cover feature)

Cover: Playstation 5

ffW5fwt.jpg

Features:

Power Play: Playstation 5
Comfortably numb: Boredom in gaming
Making of: Planet Zoo
Studio Profile: Jackbox Games
Time Extend: CODBLOPS II
The Long Game: Doom Eternal

Hype: 

Little Devil Inside
Forza Polpo
Starstruck: Hands of Time
Lake
Melon Journey 2
Scavengers
Round-up: Call of the Sea, Tanglers, Pull Stay, I Am Yours, Kerbal Space Program 2

Reviews:

Bugsnax - 8

Assassin's Creed Valhalla - 8
Yakuza Like A Dragon - 8
Miles Morales - 7
Demon's Souls - 9
Astro's Playroom - 7
CODBLOPS CW - 6
The Pathless - 5
Watch Dogs: Legion - 5
Fuser - 6
The Falconeer - 5
Sackboy: A Big Adventure - 6

Both Astro and Miles are underrated imo, the former is inventive, creative and makes great use of the DualSense, and the latter is everything that was good about Spider-Man while improving upon the things that were less good about it.

7 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Both Astro and Miles are underrated imo, the former is inventive, creative and makes great use of the DualSense, and the latter is everything that was good about Spider-Man while improving upon the things that were less good about it.

It's all subjective but I found Miles Morales miles better* than the original - less filler, all killer - refined combat and stealth thanks to perfectly suited** new powers - far better story, in part thanks to it not being stretched out this time around and Miles is imho a far more sympathetic character than Peter - no shitty MJ stealth sections. 

*Yes

**Yes

30 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

A 7 for Astro’s playroom will never be forgiven. Never. 

7 isn't a bad score? It's just a pack in title to demo the controller really. Arguably its unfair to judge it against a "full commercial release" game.

I suppose if you strip away the controller how good is the game itself? Be interesting to read the Edge take on things!

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

It's all subjective but I found Miles Morales miles better* than the original - less filler, all killer - refined combat and stealth thanks to perfectly suited** new powers - far better story, in part thanks to it not being stretched out this time around and Miles is imho a far more sympathetic character than Peter - no shitty MJ stealth sections. 

All of this, yes. 

8 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Appalling lack of Destiny coverage, hang your heads Edge.

spacer.png

Yeah, I half expected one of the Destiny characters sitting on a PS5 as the cover. Or 5 of them holding it up. And an 8 page article analysing how Destiny 2 runs on it while discussing Destiny 2 in general some more.

Tagline: the new Destiny machine is here

2 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

All of this, yes. 

It's subjective like I said, but I would take whatever the original scored and two points. It's really that much better and more fun imho. Abd that's without taking the impressive new looks on PS5 into account.

1 minute ago, MattyP said:

7 isn't a bad score? It's just a pack in title to demo the controller really. Arguably its unfair to judge it against a "full commercial release" game.

I suppose if you strip away the controller how good is the game itself? Be interesting to read the Edge take on things!

The controller is an integral part of it, just like VR was for Rescue Mission. Stripping it away makes no sense as it's a crucial part of the experience. And yes, it short but length doesn't determine quality.

Agree that a 7 isn't a bad score, but I think it deserves more than that.

I might contest the boxout in the Yakuza review talking about what I assume is the 3 million yen objective - you can get most of that with the 

Spoiler

Kappa sidequest and a watch (that you get shortly before the chapter) you can take to the pawn shop

with the rest coming from what you've already earned during the game. Then again, some parts of the first bit of my spoiler were insanely tricky even when I knew what to do... :P 

Looking forward to reading the reviews, Astro score must reflect that it’s not really a game more an experience - my mate reckoned he got the Platinum in under 6 hours and is unlikely to go back to it.

It kind of shows how much better Eurogamer scoring system can be - it’s an essential play to experience it but it’s not on the same level as your big Mario games as a full game - Edge have to compare it to the best in the genre when considering a score.