What last gen or older game would benefit the most from a next gen patch or re-release?

Now that the new consoles are here, we've already seen how much of a difference that way faster load times, 60fps/120fps options, improved graphics, less pop-in and so on can make to the experience of playing a game. So, what release from the previous gen or even further back do you think would benefit the most from a proper next gen patch or re-release?

I'm not talking about full on remaster requests here - just realistic improvements without the need to spend lots of money, that might be within the means of a developer to go back and add if they had the impetus to do so. If the game isn't available via backwards compatibility, that's where the re-release option comes in. But remember licencing restrictions there - while I too would love to see Project Gotham Racing 4 running at 4K/60fps, we all know that game is never coming back without a significant investment that isn't going to happen. :(

Maybe the game you're thinking of took way too long to load between levels. Maybe it had a very dodgy framerate, or objects only popped in a couple of metres away from your character's face. Maybe a 'just one more go' arcade game took 15 seconds to load every time you wanted a quick restart to better your score. Anything, really, that put you off from continuing, and where you could see yourself going back properly if it could be fixed via a next gen version. It's a game that could finally fulfil its potential on a next gen platform.

Just Cause 3 ticks these boxes for me. A very fun game, potentially, but on a base PS4 it had awful load times and ran pretty badly, which soon put me off playing. PS4 Pro's boost mode improved things, but even then the game struggled to hold 30fps at times and the loading was still terrible. Even without a proper patch for PS5, I presume the game's load times and 30fps lock would be better, but with a dedicated patch we might also be able to get it running at 4K/60fps and the graphics upped to somewhere near the highest settings in the PC version. I don't think it'll happen, but hey, this thread is to talk about what we want, not necessarily what we'll get!

The Evil Within 1 could do with some work. Probably the worst performing game I can think off last gen, especially at launch with the 'cinematic' black bars that rivaled Daytona on Saturn. Even with a 3rd of the screen missing, it didn't help the awful framerate and chronic load times. I don't think I got past the 3rd chapter until the PS4 pro boost mode brute forced it into something somewhat playable.

I'd love to see Deus Ex MD get the 60FPS treatment. It's fine as it is exploring prague but when the action kicks off it is very stiff and a framerate increase would certainly help things.

I think on the whole the PS4/XB1 gen was the first one where truly disappointing performance was quite rare.

360 / PS3 on the other hand... 

Splatterhouse with a consistent framerate. This is a really fun B-game with an A-grade soundtrack by Howard Drossin (Comix Zone, Sonic and Knuckles) with D-grade performance on 360/PS3. Also it has the original trilogy - including the first proper legit port of the Arcade original - on the disc! There were reports it was actually in the works but nothing came off it. 

Binary Domain with a big sticker 'from the creators of YAKUZA' on the box so it might shift more copies. Deserves a second look and a 60fps upgrade would be the icing on the cake

Just Cause 3 was in a Digital Foundary video about Xbox Series Back Compat, and it looked glorious in a locked 30fps, so much so I picked it up for £4 at Cex before lockdown.  (I don't have a new console, it just looked a fun game).  Not sure on PS5, but Xbox Series makes a massive improvement.

Dishonored remaster.

I'm playing the definitive edition on the Xbox One at the moment and it's a dog of a port. Doesn't manage a consistent 30fps, loads of pop up and textures / detail load in, UI and menus hitch all over the place. It doesn't have proper persistent of corpses or unconscious enemies, sometimes they randomly disappear. Superb game that wasn't done justice on the outgoing console generation.

Get it at solid 60fps/4k and fix the bugs and shortcomings. Tweak the mipmapping distances and push the draw distance back as far as possible. Subtle bit of ray-traced reflection and lighting effects where applicable. Swap out those chintzy Unreal Engine 3 water effects. Any high res production versions of the textures floating around that got chopped down to size? Bung them in.

It would be a thing of beauty and I doubt the new consoles would even break a sweat.

39 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Just Cause 3 was in a Digital Foundary video about Xbox Series Back Compat, and it looked glorious in a locked 30fps, so much so I picked it up for £4 at Cex before lockdown.  (I don't have a new console, it just looked a fun game).  Not sure on PS5, but Xbox Series makes a massive improvement.

It's one of the games DF where most excited about the potential it had. It was severly CPU limited on the previous gen, however it's capped at 30fps on Xbox and Playstation. On series X and PS5 it's now absolutely rock solid, however it's limited to 900p on Xbox (it's 1080p on PS), they seem to think that a simple framerate unlock (and upping the res on the Xbox) would do wonders.

1 hour ago, matt0 said:

Dishonored remaster.

I'm playing the definitive edition on the Xbox One at the moment and it's a dog of a port. Doesn't manage a consistent 30fps, loads of pop up and textures / detail load in, UI and menus hitch all over the place. It doesn't have proper persistent of corpses or unconscious enemies, sometimes they randomly disappear. Superb game that wasn't done justice on the outgoing console generation.

Get it at solid 60fps/4k and fix the bugs and shortcomings. Tweak the mipmapping distances and push the draw distance back as far as possible. Subtle bit of ray-traced reflection and lighting effects where applicable. Swap out those chintzy Unreal Engine 3 water effects. Any high res production versions of the textures floating around that got chopped down to size? Bung them in.

It would be a thing of beauty and I doubt the new consoles would even break a sweat.

Phew, I almost bought that yesterday! So it's worse than the original release then? Real shame they went the remaster route rather than backwards compatibility.

2 minutes ago, Pob said:

Phew, I almost bought that yesterday! So it's worse than the original release then? Real shame they went the remaster route rather than backwards compatibility.

I only played the first few missions of the 360 version and I don't remember if the LODing and the vanishing corpses were in that version too. The Xbox One version is in full 1080p, higher res textures, better lighting etc. So it's not a complete disaster but it still disappointing. It's probably slicker on a Series S / X

Boring answer and already stated but on a personal level, Bloodborne and The Last Guardian.

Both are very playable, BB more so, but both are also absolute masterpieces that deserve the highest attention in regards to image fidelity and performance. I don't think there would be a single negative from just a sparse clean-up of already contained assets and a performance boost, 60fps preferably at 4K. In fact just a performance boost would be enough for me actually, stick to their original resolution's if they must.

I don't even hate BB's chromatic aberration, just a straight up 60fps for both would suffice.

HDR 4K 60fps (120 if you like) ray traced Zelda BOTW. You don’t need to change the graphics beyond that tart up really so not a remake. 

Sorry if that doesn’t qualify or isn’t considered last gen by the Switch fans but, in terms of power, it is now. 

Shame to see how NFS Hot Pursuit has (if the pricing is anything to go by) not done well saleswise. Dropping to £22 on Amazon three weeks after release is crazy for one of the best racers ever made.  But looking at the reviews it has been receiving a number of writers criticised the basic gameplay,.citing that it shows its age through not having content it was never made to have - it's an arcade racer pure and simple, yet reviewers seemed to want something less simple and more of a modern Forza style experience.  On the forum I'm sure we would all agree that's a terrible idea, but it feels like an indication of the times, that an audience who maybe are too young to have ever played NFSSHP are not excited to try a remaster of it.  There are loads of games I'd like to see a remaster of but I wonder if there's a market for then.  

Anyway, off the top of my head  please can they make:

Super Ridge Racer. All the content from all the games in super hd 60fps.

Castlevania, the GBA collection.  All the games with super detailed pixel art. Stick SOTN on there as well.

Super Duper Metroid. All the metroids etc.

Burnout Collection. You get the idea by now.

But in honesty, looking at the Xbox Back Compat, some of those dream games night already exist.  Even if the games were locked at 30fps , is it a quick and easy task to patch that out for future generations?

35 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Shame to see how NFS Hot Pursuit has (if the pricing is anything to go by) not done well saleswise. Dropping to £22 on Amazon three weeks after release is crazy for one of the best racers ever made.

Hot Pursuit's remaster/rerelease is one of the clearest examples of commercial stupidity I've ever seen. Two weeks before the new consoles launch, quietly launch an old-gen remaster of a low sales high critical acclaim game, and don't bother making a next-gen version? Of course it's doing badly. Guaranteed they make a PS5/Series version and it does well.

10 hours ago, dumpster said:

They also went over it on PS5 and it brought an interesting comparison where the XSX runs the game at 900p because that is what it ran at on XB1 but 1080p on PS5 due to PS4 being slightly more powerful last gen. 

Really interesting to see that those last gen games which did have resolution differences carry forward. Would be nice if someone somewhere could just boost a few bits here and there on those games, because I am certain they could both run it at 4k. 

8 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Hot Pursuit's remaster/rerelease is one of the clearest examples of commercial stupidity I've ever seen. Two weeks before the new consoles launch, quietly launch an old-gen remaster of a low sales high critical acclaim game, and don't bother making a next-gen version? Of course it's doing badly.

AND make it expensive.

18 hours ago, amc said:

Boring answer and already stated but on a personal level, Bloodborne and The Last Guardian.

Both are very playable, BB more so, but both are also absolute masterpieces that deserve the highest attention in regards to image fidelity and performance. I don't think there would be a single negative from just a sparse clean-up of already contained assets and a performance boost, 60fps preferably at 4K. In fact just a performance boost would be enough for me actually, stick to their original resolution's if they must.

I don't even hate BB's chromatic aberration, just a straight up 60fps for both would suffice.

Absolutely this.

On 26/11/2020 at 10:33, Uncle Mike said:

Updating The Last Guardian patch to unlock the framerate like it was on-disc originally would be nice for PS5.

Yep you’d have thought they’d have done this to the games going into the PS Plus Collection. Bit of a shame, I wonder if it was a bit of a last minute thing to counter GamePass a bit.