Silver Lining Backlog

Oh i can ‘add to library’ gold and plus games that one would lose otherwise. Obvs. But if you download them the rules apply. 

My PS5 shelf is:

* Astrobot - what a game!

* Miles - abandoned the last game, but will the next gen drought get me through?

* CoD (me and my partner will complete the campaign, play a little zombies then reclaim 150gb)

* Dark Souls 3 (just finished and ready to be uninstalled)

* Dark Souls: Remastered (hopefully my last impulse purchase for a while - I’ve already completed it 3 times...)

* Demon Soul’s (currently playing - it’s amazing)

* Bugsnax (I’ll always wanna be talkin’ bout bugsnax! Installed for life.)

Copy/pasted from my blog.

This is my gaming backlog page mainly for Playstation 4/5, I don't really game much on the Switch that is more of a family console for Mario Kart etc.

The numbers in brackets are HLTB completion stats in hours for my own reference, I like to go from playing a longer game to enjoying some shorter titles.

Playing (I only play one game at a time)

Monster Hunter World - Multiplayer with friends

Ghost of Tsushima - Waited to play this on PS5 and it's great, will keep me busy for a few months.

Physical

Desperados 3 (50)

Star Wars Squadrons (17)

A Plague Tale (16)

Mutant Year Zero - Road to Eden (22)

Wargroove (73)

Shadow Tactics (53)

Journey to the Savage Planet (16)

Abzu (4)

A Way Out (7)

Zero Escape - The Nonary Games (50)

Oninaki (35)

Nier Automata (62)

Lost Sphear (59)

Digital

The Last Campfire (7)

Gorogoa (2)

Detroit Become Human (29)

Ghost Recon Breakpoint (80)

Valkyria Chronicles (62)

The above is more than enough to keep me busy for the next year!

Shopping List

Yeah, I know have more than enough to play but I need to keep a list somewhere of titles I want to buy at some point in the future.

Telltale The Walking Dead - Final Season

Zero Escape Zero Time Dilema (Need to play Nonary Games first)

Night in the Woods

Into the Breach (Switch)

I am Setsuna

Beat Saber

Untitled Goose Game

Knights & Bikes

Outer Wilds

Return of the Obra Dinn

Undertale

For The King

John Wick Hex

Y2K - A Postmodern RPG

I love GamePass as an idea and subscribe but it reminds me of the time I bought a Snes MagicCard or whatever it was called and suddenly had access to hundreds of games. Suffice to say I devoted no time to any of them as I had no value attached to any of them. This is essentially what's happening to me with GamePass. I'm weird.

6 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

I love GamePass as an idea and subscribe but it reminds me of the time I bought Snes MagicCard or whatever it was called and suddenly had access to hundreds of games. Suffice to say I devoted no time to any of them as I had no value attached. This is essentially what's happening to ne with GamePass. I'm weird.

I don’t think that’s weird. I thinks that’s the absolute standard.  I’m totally the same. 

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

Copy/pasted from my blog.

This is my gaming backlog page mainly for Playstation 4/5, I don't really game much on the Switch that is more of a family console for Mario Kart etc.

The numbers in brackets are HLTB completion stats in hours for my own reference, I like to go from playing a longer game to enjoying some shorter titles.

The one thing I'm seeing from your list is that you could have saved yourself an absolute fortune if you'd gone Xbox+GamePass rather than PS4/PS5. You like your single-player games and so many of the ones on your list (either already bought, or on the shopping list) are on GamePass right now. Fair enough if you're dead set on physical media but it's still surprising how much overlap there is between what you play and what's available on that service.

35 minutes ago, bradigor said:

I'll play games until I still having fun with them. That could be 40 minutes or 400+ hours.

I stopped caring about perceived value and feel so much better for it 

Same with me... No guilt at all here.

Predominantly play Game Pass games these days. Play for an hour or so if it doesn't work for me I move on. So no "shelf" as such. Just have a couple of games I go to for quick blasts  on (Tetris Effect, Hotshot Racing are my latest). It's the great thing about Game Pass always something to entertain you and you don't have games you've spent £40+ sitting around.

Personally don't expect to buy many games at all this generation - maybe the odd one if it falls of Game Pass and has repeat play value (I can see Tetris Effect being one of these) but generally I'll always find something to play on there. There maybe the odd 3rd party title that interests. 

GamePass has essentially changed my mindset in the way I play and acquire games. Works perfectly for me.

Of course I still have my steam library too... :D 

I have a huge backlog. I find that with the Xbox (due to the default view showing you all your installed games) limiting the number of games on the hard drive helps. So I never have more than 12 games installed and to be honest most of these are what I regard as pick up and play games (sports; fighting; racing; puzzle games) as opposed to long winded narrative driven experiences.

The PS4 is better due to the default view being the ribbon - so you simply see the games you played most recently and thus don't get distracted.

31 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

The one thing I'm seeing from your list is that you could have saved yourself an absolute fortune if you'd gone Xbox+GamePass rather than PS4/PS5. You like your single-player games and so many of the ones on your list (either already bought, or on the shopping list) are on GamePass right now. Fair enough if you're dead set on physical media but it's still surprising how much overlap there is between what you play and what's available on that service.

My big issue with gamepass is it is yet another subscription service. With a subscription service I feel compelled to use it because I am then getting some value from the service. The way I play games sometimes it takes me weeks/months to complete a long single player experience like Ghost of Tsushima.

I could certainly get value for paying for a few months to enjoy all the shorter indie games I want to play and then cancel the subscription. I don't have an Xbox at the moment and history has shown me that owning more than one console is not a good idea because one will always get neglected. I've gone for the PS5 this generation to mainly carry on playing the PS4 games I already own and secodnoly because of the upcoming exclusives.

However at some point next year I may treat myself to a Series S and at least upgrade from the 360. Never say never.