Gameshow discussion! (and, are they rigged?)

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

I watched that and looked at my iPad at the same time and didn't follow what their point was.  Like, in most game shows you can watch for 20 seconds and get the whole picture (like how the chase always has the current question on screen, a shot of the panel shows if anyone is out, what the prize fund is, etc). But with Winning Combination it wasn't obvious what the situation was or what they were aiming for without sitting and watching it properly, you know what I mean?

Yeah it took me a couple of watches to fully get what they were playing for but it's built on a fairly sound basis of quizzing which keeps my interest. I quite like the voting- down aspect in the bits where there's four of them competing. Plus Omid just carries a lot of it with his charm which keeps it ticking along. 

1 hour ago, elyuw said:

What’s the name of this documentary? It sounds interesting. 

Might be this

Perfect Bid: The Contestant Who Knew Too Much.

But that's a different contestant to the one in the earlier YouTube video.  The famous clip is right at the end of the show when the contestant gets the showcase price exactly right and the host rolls his eyes because he thinks it's a set up or someone is cheating.  The host gets more suspicious as the show progresses but it's all above board, he's just a great player who studied. 

9 hours ago, Death's Head said:

So how about Omid Djalili's new effort, Winning Combination? I don't mind the format, it's got the right balance of gimmick-to-quizzing, and Omid himself is a top host. Certainly prefer it to Shane Ritchie's recent show. 

From the couple of episodes I have seen, it is very difficult to win. Omid is a fun host, but his question-reading skills need to improve - there’s a long pause after each answer that is costing the contestants a LOT of time.

On 29/11/2020 at 01:59, Made of Ghosts said:

The thing I always notice with The Chase (actually a lot of shows do it) is that the questions are often phrased in a way to give you a little extra nudge. You don't need to think about the meat of the question, just wait til it tells you the category of thing it's looking for, then say the most well-known example and you'll be right about 80% of the time. They're almost anti-trick questions. Sometimes it'll be a category with basically only one thing in it: "which Canadian rapper blah blah blah", "which hip-hop musical about the founding fathers etc etc etc"

Bit late to the party here, but basically yes - you could answer half the questions by simply cutting out all the extraneous detail. And I do, bellowing from my sofa...

"Which Tudor King..." HENRY THE 8TH!

"Which playwright...." SHAKESPEARE!

"Which dairy product..." CHEESE!

"Which animal is..." DOG!

I mean sure, every 1 time in ten they'll throw in a Henry the 7th, or a cat, but the rest of the time you've probably got it right, and if not you've moved quickly on.

I also get so frustrated when people won't/can't guess.

"Which month does blah event happen?"

"Pass"

You can't think of a month?!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just caught the end of Christmas University Challenge. One question was something like: "Which fictional film character fought opponents including Mothra and King Ghidorah in films made between 1954 and 1992?"

After a few seconds, someone buzzed in and guessed:

Spoiler

"Lassie?"

:lol:

On 07/12/2020 at 10:04, Davros sock drawer said:

"Pass"

I think it was The Weakest Link where I once saw “In which World War blah blah blah?”, “Pass” :facepalm:

On 07/12/2020 at 10:04, Davros sock drawer said:

Bit late to the party here, but basically yes - you could answer half the questions by simply cutting out all the extraneous detail. And I do, bellowing from my sofa...

"Which Tudor King..." HENRY THE 8TH!

"Which playwright...." SHAKESPEARE!

"Which dairy product..." CHEESE!

"Which animal is..." DOG!

I mean sure, every 1 time in ten they'll throw in a Henry the 7th, or a cat, but the rest of the time you've probably got it right, and if not you've moved quickly on.

"Pass"

Time pressure does funny things to contestants. And even on this year’s Celebrity Chase, the Beast misread a question (thinking it said which of these is NOT in the 12 Days of Christmas).

But yes, if you are asked for a colour, sort of animal, king/queen or country you can make a guess even if you don’t know.

On 26/12/2020 at 21:09, Nick R said:

Just caught the end of Christmas University Challenge. One question was something like: "Which fictional film character fought opponents including Mothra and King Ghidorah in films made between 1954 and 1992?"

After a few seconds, someone buzzed in and guessed:

Reveal hidden contents

"Lassie?"

:lol:

here it is in all its glory:

• 2 months later...

Watching House of Games and it’s entertaining watching Shaun Williamson obviously sandbagging to give everyone else half-a-chance. Shaun is clearly really, really good at quizzes and always come across really well - eventually there will be a successful TV format that fully takes advantage of that.

BBC Two recently cancelled Eggheads so Channel 5 revived it. Maybe there needs to be a celebrity Eggheads team?

Love House of Games, the recent champion of champions with Richard Herring was great, you could see how much he wanted to win and it ended up closer that it should have been as he kept dropping points in the last round.

13 hours ago, Halo said:

Watching House of Games and it’s entertaining watching Shaun Williamson obviously sandbagging to give everyone else half-a-chance. Shaun is clearly really, really good at quizzes and always come across really well - eventually there will be a successful TV format that fully takes advantage of that.

BBC Two recently cancelled Eggheads so Channel 5 revived it. Maybe there needs to be need a celebrity Eggheads team?

I have long said I would love to see a special Eggheads vs Chasers, playing both formats.

Shaun Williamson was part of Al Murray’s Fact Hunt that went out on satellite a couple of years ago. There was a round where it was one contestant against Shaun.

Shaun Williamson is an absolute king. It was a pleasure to watch him on House of Games. 

2 hours ago, merman said:

I have long said I would love to see a special Eggheads vs Chasers, playing both formats

Same! 

He’s great in every quiz he’s on. The man is a genius, and a great actor to boot, if I were in charge of a charity I’d definitely want Barry as my Patron. We’d be rolling in cash!!

Hes also a bloody nice guy too. I got my wife one of those birthday greetings from him last year & not only did he chat a bit for longer than was required but also belted out Mustang Sally!

oh man, that is awesome @Made of Ghosts. Are you one of those massive Scrabble and anagram people who always do well on Countdown? It strikes me as one of the few shows that has actual intelligent people on, Countdown, University Challenge, Only Connect are the only ones I can think of where actively stupid people wouldn't do well.

Slightly related to gaming/quiz stuff, this week my wifes sister (yes my sister in law as most would call it) who is an absolute terrible waster, gambler, alcoholic, self diagnosed as unfit to get a job and an inveterate borrower of money from us every week has just won £172,540 on some online slot thing with some free spins (she claims). Hopefully she'll get her shit together and perhaps get round to paying back her debts at some point in the near future.

I'm pretty good at Scrabble and stuff. Above average but not a savant or anything. I'm not expecting to be an octochamp but when I play along with the show I generally keep pace with the contestants. (On the normal shows anyway. The Champion of Champions episodes totally leave me in the dust)

On 18/12/2020 at 12:46, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I hate The Chase. I hate the baddies with their stupid sub-wwf heel gimmicks. They may as well get Big Boy Barry and Wolf from Gladiators on there. Except Wolf was wildly talented.

Also 'The Dark Destroyer' ???? I'm not sure that's any better than Shadow, Nightshade or Saracen.

I hate it when the contestants confer about if they should take the low offer or not and all they offer is weedy platitudes instead of 'you're a fucking moron son, take the £100 and be glad of it'

I watch the chase everyday and even though i love it, so much pisses me off. sometimes the questions seem all over the place. Recently i watched a guy do totally shite in the cashbuilder and get 1 right and his questions at the board were a piece of piss. Common sense easy. 

Next up a  woman got like 9 on the cash builder and her questions were insane and you couldnt use deduction in anyway to rule anything out. She got knocked out quite quickly. 

Hate when they ask the contestants what they should go for "You are better than that, take the middle offer although i think you are good enough for the higher offer"

Fuck right off, they got 2 right.

On 21/03/2021 at 23:36, Made of Ghosts said:

GUYS I WAS WONDERING WHERE TO POST THIS AND THEN I SAW THIS THREAD

I'm going to be on Countdown. Don't know when yet. I had the audition last week, they *really* put you through your paces over the phone.

Just waiting for a date now. :D

Can you please wear something supporting Jeremy Corbyn on it, just to see Rachel Riley explode?