Good Biscuit Bad Biscuit

These are very good. Really nice corn taste, and highly salted, so they're eminently scoffable on their own, but also great with a bit of mature cheddar. Handily inside the box, the crackers are wrapped in sets of 3, so there's no hurry to eat them all quickly after opening. Found in Sainsbury's, may well be available elsewhere.

_sanissimo.jpg.e5432b77f1bf1b9b4c1b7887d8bee9e0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2021 at 15:08, MarkN said:

These are very good. Really nice corn taste, and highly salted, so they're eminently scoffable on their own, but also great with a bit of mature cheddar. Handily inside the box, the crackers are wrapped in sets of 3, so there's no hurry to eat them all quickly after opening. Found in Sainsbury's, may well be available elsewhere.

IDGI ;)

There were a load of new chocolate Digestive and Hob Nob flavours released recently:

Lemon Drizzle Digestives - these were nice, quite light and lemony.

Strawberry Cheesecake Digestives - ok but but not as nice as the lemon ones. I can't say I was surprised as strawberry just doesn't feel like a natural bedfellow for this type of biscuit. A bit artificial tasting but edible.

Sticky Toffee Pudding Hob Nobs - these were delicious. Very rich and indulgent, I started to feel a bit sick after eating too many at once but it was worth it.

Chocolate Brownie Hob Nobs - Fine, nothing particularly special.

Gingerbread Digestives - These seemed to be left over from Christmas, I was really looking forward to them but they were a huge letdown. Barely even a hint of ginger, they just tasted like a slightly worse normal chocolate digestive. Easily the worst.

I would go with the lemon drizzle and sticky toffee pudding and not bother with the rest unless you're a huge biscuit fan and just want to try them for the novelty.

Fully coated choc digestives eaten now

I don't like the Friends style naming, that can FRO, and somehow in fully coating it the biscuit ceases to be a chocolate digestive, and becomes more a biscuit based bar thing from childhood you'd get in a packed lunch. Nice biscuit and choc but the ratio is wrong and lacks the classic simplicity of the original (which apparently should be eaten choc side down so that hits your tongue first, who knew).

300x300.jpg

On 19/02/2021 at 13:02, Professor Puzzles said:

Where do you get those wafers from @Gabe, i loved the lemon ones but I haven't seen them about for years. 

Lidl periodically sell them as well.

In Austria there's a much bigger variety of Manner products. For example, they do big bags of various kinds of wafers, my favourites of which are ones that are basically Mozartkugeln in wafer form, and ones that have either strawberry or raspberry filling.

top tip, these are fantastic.

I do love the crackers that come in smaller snack packs as you can have impromptu cheese and biscuits for lunch with a couple of types of biscuits and not have loads of leftovers to deal with.

those nice little French melba toast and even cream crackers come now 'snack packed'

• 4 weeks later...

another week another limited edition version of a classic

they are OK but lack any sort of flavour punch or zing, the pineapple bit tastes like a 6 month old pineapple cube you found in your bedroom as a kid at the bottom of a toybox but decided it was still alright to eat.

snapshotimagehandler_1532744721.jpeg?h=5

On 15/03/2021 at 11:41, thingymajig said:

In Austria there's a much bigger variety of Manner products. For example, they do big bags of various kinds of wafers, my favourites of which are ones that are basically Mozartkugeln in wafer form, and ones that have either strawberry or raspberry filling.

Yeah, it was on my first trip to Vienna that I discovered and fell in love with them.

There was also a really nice brand in white packaging with a red banner I think, they used to have chocolate-covered wafers in Wetherspoon pubs; they were delicious too, but I don't know what they are called (I know they aren't Manner).

In more biscuit-y news, it seems there's a new Maryland Cookie out, the 'Hazel nutter'. They differ from the choc-chip and hazelnut because the actual cookie is a bit more chocolatey - not from the choc chips, but the cookie base itself. They aren't as good as the originals (which are really hard to locate now, I hope these ones aren't replacing them).

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/03/2021 at 08:26, Gotters said:

Fully coated choc digestives eaten now

I don't like the Friends style naming, that can FRO, and somehow in fully coating it the biscuit ceases to be a chocolate digestive, and becomes more a biscuit based bar thing from childhood you'd get in a packed lunch. Nice biscuit and choc but the ratio is wrong and lacks the classic simplicity of the original (which apparently should be eaten choc side down so that hits your tongue first, who knew).

300x300.jpg

Tried these recently. Despite the size of the packaging being similar to a normal pack of digestives, they only contain six biscuits! That and the price make them unrecommendable for me. 

Abbey Crunch are discontinued aren't they? It doesn't make a lot of sense that we have the Hobnob and no Abbey Crunch, except in the way that we have Line of Duty instead of an accurate TV series about the systemic corruption of the police. The Hobnob is too sugary, it's sickly. Abbey Crunch was almost a meal in itself, it was the subtle precursor to the Hobnob.

Does anyone make something nearer the Abbey Crunch than it is to the Hobnob? I think I've had some kind of supermarket own brand biscuit that is like a slightly above half-hearted attempt at an Abbey Crunch tribute, possibly in a mostly yellow wrapper.

I bet they - Abbey Crunch - were found to induce too much State-threatening mindfulness and someone at the company was shown a photo of their family from an unusual angle, encouraged to bring production to a close. This is why all the flavour was removed from Kit Kats, bananas and human blood.

It's either B&M or Poundland, I can't remember, but one of those shops sells counterfeit McVities Digestives. The packaging is the same but the taste and the visible texture is all wrong. I found this during a couple of visits to stingey family last year and made it known that we would become estranged, following arson, if they didn't have the real thing in next time. That seemed to do the trick, until last week, when the fake ones made an appearance again. So I keyed their car on the way out. Sounds petty but by Christmas that car will be a death trap, just a series of metal cross-hatchings, as is only fair.

Those Hovis Digestives aren't bad but they seem quite rare. Are they gone as well? A Digestive dipped in a milky coffee is a lovely taste and simultaneously reminds me what a pathetic species we are, especially me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/05/2021 at 17:20, Gotters said:

who knows if these are a biscuit or a cake but looks like another odd Jaffa Cake mashup, Tesco exclusive though

newFile-5.jpg?width=990&auto=webp&qualit

The sponge is totally not the best bit about a jaffa cake, so I can't see that being particularly good. 

I'm definitely going to buy some when I next go shopping though. 

As mentioned above, I have now tried the Jonuts and, as fully expected, they aren't very nice. Too much sponge (which is third on the list of good things on a jaffa cake), not enough chocolate and a slight aftertaste of orange, rather than bold, in your face flavour. Not one to get again.

• 3 weeks later...

0_Screen-Shot-2020-12-14-at-122909.png

these are quite nice, the sticky toffee flavour isn't overpowering or too articifical tasting and nicely sits on top of the oatey hobnob - also not so sweet you feel your teeth rotting whilst eating one. 

On 24/05/2021 at 10:19, Gabe said:

As mentioned above, I have now tried the Jonuts and, as fully expected, they aren't very nice. Too much sponge (which is third on the list of good things on a jaffa cake), not enough chocolate and a slight aftertaste of orange, rather than bold, in your face flavour. Not one to get again.

Yeah I bought these for the novelty and while I ate them I wouldn't buy them again. They remind me of those Jaffa Cake bites they brought out that seem to have disappeared - the ratio of orange to chocolate to sponge is all wrong. Neither these nor the bites have enough jelly in them.

Totally by chance I picked these up this week as they're on sale in Sainsbury's and they're delicious. Might be my new go-to cracker.

the latest rubbish biscuit mashup - if asked to guess what these were I'd go for digestives blended with cherry tunes cough sweets, there is really no bakewell taste here at all, just a vile synthetic cherry taste on otherwise lovely biscuit.

ruined/10

510639011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=4e4d5

I think most of these new flavour biscuits have been misses (not just the various Digestives combos, but Maryland Cookies have tried jaffa choc chip and mint choc chip - and they are as awful as you imagine). I haven't tried the various alternative Jaffa Cake flavours, but I wouldn't hold out much hope for them either.