Neo: The World Ends With You - TWEWY Sequel!

I've always thought that the quality of the gameplay was a bit mixed (Neku's combat often descended into mashing), but man that aesthetic works so well here. :) Also I kind of expected a Nintendo exclusive - as someone who only owns a PS4, this is great news.

EDIT: ha, this was my reaction to the Switch release of the original:

On 11/01/2018 at 14:10, Qazimod said:

a shame that it's another "update" though - I think the Reaper's Game concept could be expanded upon with a brand new game that follows a different group of characters or something...

^_^

I replayed the first game earlier this year, still an absolute favourite. Just about the only real gripe I have with it is that it only has a single save file, meaning I've had to erase my data everytime I want to experience a fresh run. I'm genuinely super excited to see how this turns out, and that trailer is great (plenty of real gameplay!), but it's never going to be as creative and unique as the DS original, purely due to the change in hardware. Here's still hoping for a stylish, fun ride.

I played the DS version waaaaay back when, and I thought it was a really fresh experience from Square. I particularly liked how it made use of the limited space the game takes place in; the streets of Shibuya occupy an extremely small area compared to the gigantic worlds of similar RPGs, yet I didn't miss having a whole continent to explore. I'll be keeping an eye out for reviews of this.

1 minute ago, revlob said:

I particularly liked how it made use of the limited space the game takes place in; the streets of Shibuya occupy an extremely small area compared to the gigantic worlds of similar RPGs

TWEWY, Yakuza and SMT/Persona really embrace the idea of a small local environment as the gameworld, and it’s something I genuinely appreciate - you get really familiar with the world and still find “density” in the character arcs and subplots. It’ll be interesting to see how well it works when you’re exploring in 3D at ground level...

4 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Switch will be firing on all JRPG cylinders next year. We get:

Persona 5 Scramble

That's a Dynasty Warriors game with a Persona aesthetic sadly.

I really need to replay the first game before getting this. Is it a good Switch version and does the game actually work well without the two screens.

52 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I really need to replay the first game before getting this. Is it a good Switch version and does the game actually work well without the two screens.

I found it unplayable in docked mode. It only lets you play with split joycons and it was just endless gyro re-syncs and misread inputs. In handheld with a stylus it was decent, though not quite as responsive as the trusty old DS screen. 

The game still shines through but I'd probably just play the DS version if I ever replay it.