Turn your Xbox Series S, X or Xbox One into a fantastic emulation machine.

dumpster

2 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

You need to get your unit whitelisted to download the app. Check the duck station thread for a link to the discord. 

The link doesn't work any more and I'm reading that things have changed, can anyone help?

How is duckstation performance on an xbox one x? Can it handle 4k 60? I’ve given up any hope of getting a series console any time soon as no retailer near me even stocks anything xbox and all the online retailers are constantly sold out and theres no way Im paying 2x-3x the retail price to scalpers.

So the whitelist guy did his magic and I went to his page and OMG I had no idea there's a port of AM2R and with the Xbox's great D-pad that's basically me sorted for the next few weeks.  If you're not aware of AM2R, it's on many formats and it's an outstanding conversion of the Gameboy Metroid 2, remastered to widescreen with the sprites and artwork mirroring the SNES and GBA metroids.  It's hugely playable and I've never had it on the big TV before. 

Also, Retroarch is proving great, although it has so many features that I don't think I'm getting the best out of it.  I've tried GameCube so far which seems perfect emulation but I'm reading online people are upscaling the graphics to 4K and I need to have a play about.

PSP has a stand alone emulator and it's phenomenal.  Ridge Racers 2 runs at 60fps and looks like a 360 era game.  Blown away.

Duckstation is just incredible. PlayStation 1 games in 1080p (and beyond I guess, if you have a newer TV than me). 10 minutes of Metal Gear Solid last night and... It's a yes from me. 

I think Retroarch needs a bit of tinkering.  I was initially impressed with Dreamcast but I'm not sure if it's quite as smooth as it should be.  But for something that I'm just trying out of the box, it's pretty incredible. 

Now to get the bios files transferred and try a bit of PS2.

And I think £20 to Mr whitelist guy is the least I can do.

I'm also very impressed but like dumpster am not sure if I get the best out of Retroarch. It's a bit overwhelming, always has been. However, everything works and having Cube, DC, PS2 games on my XSS is just phenomenal.

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

I'm also very impressed but like dumpster am not sure if I get the best out of Retroarch. It's a bit overwhelming, always has been. However, everything works and having Cube, DC, PS2 games on my XSS is just phenomenal.

Yes, I've always found Retroarch to be a really unhelpful and unfriendly system and much prefer individual emulators.  I've read online about people playing GameCube games at 4K and the emulator being transformative, but for me the best I can get is just getting the games to work.  Like you say, F Zero plays great but outside of the races there are glitches and stutters.  It's great to have it, but it's not perfect.

Then, it all stopped working.  GC and PS2 started displaying an error message about how the core doesn't support VFR.  What's that mean?  Then, through no action of my own, it's all working again.

GameCube keeps changing the video render to GL and I have to manually change it back and save config. No idea why, because it doesn't work at all on GL anyway.  

But overall this is an amazing thing and I hope the whitelist guy makes more apps available.  It seems silly to be playing AM2R on a £450 console but it's a great game, and it reassures me that choosing Xbox over PS5 was the right thing to do.

9 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

What's AM2R? 

A game I absolutely adored on PS Vita , only to find that the Vita port is unofficial and had a game breaking bug.  Is was so happy to see it on that whilelist website. But I've played it a few times now and it has crashed in weird ways.  For example, I brought up the map, the screen darkened and showed the map.  Then I closed the map down, it disappeared but the screen remained dark and the controls stopped working.

I get something similar with Duckstation.  My games are on an external drive, but Duckstation doesn't remember this. Loading a game involves backspacing and deleting the the long file location. If you hit backspace one too many times it drops you back at the main menu but the controller doesn't work any more.  

I assume these issues are  because it's all early days and work in progress.  However (I think) the Xbox plays the UWP versions of these apps and so you're relying on someone to make the conversion to that format.  In the case of AM2R there's a perfect windows version and a perfect Android version. But it seems porting to the UWP has added crash bugs, which is similar to what happened when they ported it to Vita.  I'm probably wrong, I don't really understand what UWP is, but it's a shame because AM2R is absolutely fantastic and I'd love to play it on the big TV.

I can't seem to get Developer Mode working.

I've signed up for a dev account, though the payment is showing as pending.

I've got the app and get as far as "enter this code in a browser". I go to the URL and it doesn't prompt me for a code, so I can't go any further.

Any ideas what the issue might be? Is it because the payment hasn't gone through yet, or is the payment pending until I get my Xbox registered?

There's a button on the page, I can't recall what the button is (there are multiple guides to point you in the right direction).

I did have to wait 24h to activate mine, despite it generating codes they were rejected every time - worked fine the next day.

39 minutes ago, AlexM said:

There's a button on the page, I can't recall what the button is (there are multiple guides to point you in the right direction).

I did have to wait 24h to activate mine, despite it generating codes they were rejected every time - worked fine the next day.

They payment has gone through now, so I'm hoping it'll work tomorrow. 

Couldn't see a button. If it's not immediately obvious when I try again, I'll try to find a guide. 

From what I read, Retroarch is the emulator to use for most formats on XBox Series.  Duckstation and PPSSPP are the only other ones I've seen.  The discord whitelisting guy gives you those three.  So are there other emulators? Or any other benefits to getting developer mode?

Sorry guys I'm stuck :( I'm a Mac user and been trying to follow this >>
Guide: Retro Emulation on the Xbox Series S/X and Xbox One by Retro Game Corps. He also wrote wrote this helpful guide.

Very understandable I thought, but then I get stuck when it's useful for me to map a network drive and just wondering what the Mac method basically does?

He explains...

For Mac users, the process is similar (use Chrome for best results):
Open Finder and in the top Menu Bar, navigate to Go > Connect to Server (or type CMD+K)
Type in the address are follows: smb://xbox/DevelopmentFiles
Click the “+” button to save the connection
Enter your credentials

I've tried this and it seems to start to connect BUT.. dunno what I key in for NAME and PASSWORD? :( I've tried every log in I think is relevent but gives me an error saying 'There was a problem connecting to server...' box. Could it be my network? firewall? or what?

Sorry fellas is there a Mac genius here would could solve this world problem for me?

Edited by nevsan
I'm still not clever enough to read the thread again and follow instructions :|

11 hours ago, AlexM said:

There is, in fact, a button on the page. It's a plus sign next to the filter devices button, If you hadn't said this, I wouldn't be looking for it - the video I'd seen gave the impression it just popped up.

Got it activated now. Going to look at getting RetroArch on it next...

22 hours ago, dumpster said:

From what I read, Retroarch is the emulator to use for most formats on XBox Series.  Duckstation and PPSSPP are the only other ones I've seen.  The discord whitelisting guy gives you those three.  So are there other emulators? Or any other benefits to getting developer mode?

None that I'm aware of (to both questions). If anything running the emulators in Retail mode is beneficial as you can play them with remote play.

Which emulators in particular are you missing? CEMU/Yuzu/Ryujinx are OpenGL/Vulkan rather than DirectX, RPCS3 and Xenia are quite early in development, I'm not sure there's anything else we can hope for in the short term.

7 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Next problem. The app is saying my Xbox need updating to run it. My Xbox is up to date. Anyone else encounter this?

Do you mean Dev mode? The only thing I can think of is you're running an insider build?

7 minutes ago, AlexM said:

Which emulators in particular are you missing?

Not really missing any, but in my experience Retroarch has so many options it gets overwhelming and also the controls seem way more laggy on RA than on other emulators I've tried.  That's true of PC over the years as well as Xbox now.  

I just wondered because I'm having better results with Duckstation stand alone than Duckstation's Retroarch core and wondered if Dev mode opened up a world of stand alone emulators.

Ah I see. I'm relatively new to RetroArch, so far I've only used it for Gamecube on the Xbox (where I haven't noticed any lag).

What differences have you noticed between Duckstation on RA versus standalone?

19 minutes ago, AlexM said:

Do you mean Dev mode? The only thing I can think of is you're running an insider build?

Disvovered I had the wrong app. Should really have downloaded the one with the fucking picture of a fucking Series fucking S on it. Yes, I am that thick. 

So, how do I get DC games looking their best? Found it really easy on Duckstation - hit select, turn everything on and away I go. Can I get everything wide screen? Can I increase the resolution and frame rate? What do I need to do?