Sackboy: A Big Adventure - surprisingly great!

Great OP. I'm interested in this, though'll probably wait until I'm done with DS and Miles. Read on Era that some of the optional stuff is really challenging. That and the co-op have me intruiged and it looks lovely as well 

Richard E Grant and especially Dawn French are great too. Sony hasn’t really pushed this and they must have spent a fair bit on it.

The later levels dare to spill Mario’s pint, but for those who have no intention of playing it, here’s the moment where it stops being an adequate mascot platformer. Christmas morning 2020 begins for families when the bit at 1.25-1.45 says so.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

(Online co-op to be delivered in a patch, and is not yet dated.)

The game’s design director Ned Waterhouse revealed the delayed in a PlayStation Blog post on Friday. November 6. He explained that the feature is being pushed back to ensure it “is the very best experience it can be for players”, added that his team requires “a little more time to get it right so you can enjoy it to the fullest with your friends and family”.

Waterhouse said that the feature will arrive by “end of 2020” via a patch, although he did not state a specific date. The patch will also include cross-gen multiplayer for PS4 and PS5 gamers, as well as the ability to transfer save files from PS4 to PS5.

However, the game’s offline co-op mode will still be available at launch and will support up to four players. Despite the delay, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, a launch title for the PS5, is still scheduled to arrive alongside the console on November 12 for both the next-gen console and its current-gen predecessor.

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/sackboy-a-big-adventure-online-co-op-will-only-be-available-post-launch-2812285

Yeah, that is a bit rubbish.

After Astrobot, Miles, Demons and CoD, it would be ludicrous to get this as well. 

But I think it will be a perfect xmas game. This and Zelda. 

Mulled wine, xmas decorations and this. Lovely.

Does anyone know if the couch-co-op lets you leave the other player behind, or drag them along or somehting? Ideally I would like my toddler to feel like they are playing whilst they weren't, during those precious moments when I let myself phone my childcare in.

It’s really good fun in co-op.  As well as opportunities for jolly co-operation there’s plenty of room for mischief and mayhem.  My 8 year old and I are playing through and it usually descends into a slap fest at some point, throwing each other in front of danger etc (and then we play the game ho ho).

8 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Never been a fan of LBP but after reading the impressions of @Majora and watching the trailer this does indeed look a lot of fun, is it a full price title or a PS Plus thing?

Full price at £59.99

The PS5 version is £55 at Asda currently if anybody is on the fence: https://groceries.asda.com/product/ps-5-games/ps-5-sackboy-a-big-adventure/1000266310467

I'll back-up the general vibe in here. I had no plans to get this until I saw positive comments leading up to launch. Even then, it's loads better than I was expecting so far.

I've only done 10 or so levels and the first few are slow as @Majora says. I also completely agree about Sackboy's running speed being too slow. However, once it gets going, it's clear there's plenty of inventiveness on display and presumably plenty more to come (I understand that there are more than 50 levels in total).

It's definitely going to suffer from comparison if you jump straight into it from Astro's Playroom but on its own merits it's absolutely worthwhile.

4 hours ago, rafaqat said:

someone mentioned in another thread that the jumping isn't as floaty as LBP which is great.   What's the closest in jumpiness to this game?

Think Yoshi in Wooly or Crafted World. Sackboy has the whole flutter jump thing too.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been enjoying this a lot. There's loads to collect in each level, so while speeding through the game is possible, there's plenty of replayability to collect everything. There's also some imaginative use of familiar music, the Jungle Boogie level is especially good and I spotted a nice chilled mix of Depeche Mode in there too. The speed run challenges aren't quite up to Astro Bot standard but are nicely done too. 

I was planning on getting this completed and up for sale on the forum before Christmas but it's looking likely that it'll take longer. I blame Dragon Quest XI for stealing my time. 

36 minutes ago, MagicalDrop said:

I've been enjoying this a lot. There's loads to collect in each level, so while speeding through the game is possible, there's plenty of replayability to collect everything. There's also some imaginative use of familiar music, the Jungle Boogie level is especially good and I spotted a nice chilled mix of Depeche Mode in there too. The speed run challenges aren't quite up to Astro Bot standard but are nicely done too. 

Another reason to get this on my to do list. Will definitely pick up once it hits sub £40

I've said as much in the PS5 thread, but this game is amazing and needs way more love.

Me and the missus played through the whole thing in coop in the first week of the PS5 arriving and had an absolute blast with it. I've put way more time into it than Demon's or MM so far (for shame, I know). The early levels left me slightly cold, but it gets better and better, and has a real difficulty curve to it.

I've yet to beat the final Knitted Knight trial (it's pure evil with every previous trial stitched together into a massive level), and also some bonus levels you'll get once the credits have rolled. Keep going back to earn all the medals on levels and have so far clocked over 30hrs in game. 

Its a real looker on PS5, and Dawn French and Richard E Grant are excellent in their vocal roles.