Ambilight & Gaming

Anyone else have a Philips Ambilight telly, or th add-ons for normal TVs? Genuinely I think it's fucking fantastic for games.

I was just playing Space Giraffe and it's just awesome:

Some other examples, it works brilliantly with Outrun

PXL_20201017_213703771_MP.jpg

And Apex Legends:

3B61287F-B696-42D5-89D8-76208B825A2E.jpeg

Hopefully in the future I'll be able to afford a nice OLED with Ambilight, rather than just LCD.

That reminds me, wasn't there some prototype projector type gaming light that Microsoft did, sort of an evolution of the gimmick. I do not have that ambilight, but it does look cool. I know you can buy an aftermarket one, but it is pretty expensive.

I used to have it before my Ambilight TV went kaput. It was pretty nice and created the illusion of the TV being bigger than it was, but it definitely worked better in some games more than others - colourful, cartoony games benefitted from it a lot, but darker, more realistic games, not so much.

Can you replicate the experience on a non-Philips TV with something like this? It says it syncs up with what's on the TV, but I can't imagine it working as well.

@Jamie John Well, yeah. As a minimum you’d need this:

Philips Hue Play White and Colour Ambiance Smart Light Bar Double Pack Base Unit + Philips Hue Bridge (Works with Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple HomeKit) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07R816LB9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_T3QUFb46Z1JX1

and then sync box:

Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box Surround Lighting for TV Entertainment & Gaming Works with Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple HomeKit, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086MR9XR8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_m5QUFbEVP34W6

You could also add a strip to the back of the TV unit and then maybe some bulbs or lamps if you’re feeling flush. 

This is cheapest way it’s great I use mainly for movies the sync box has 4 hdmi inputs 

it allows 4k hdr 60 but I think it’s stopping my series x doing free sync VRR

https://www.game.co.uk/en/m/philips-hue-play-bundle-with-hdmi-sync-box-and-smart-light-bar-double-pack-2758617?utm_source=RakutenMarketing&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=3274037:digidip+x+deal+sites&utm_content=10&utm_term=UKNetwork&ranMID=42508&ranEAID=svunC25memk&ranSiteID=svunC25memk-Zv0kQg5O8ycoPG37WDdoiA

be aware the light bars are good but I’m about to replace mine with the light strip gradient another £200 

4 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

That’s a good bundle. 

I’ve got the non-gradient light strip behind my desk. I’ve also got one behind the TV unit in the lounge but the damn thing won’t stick up. 

I got fed up of my light strip falling off I hung it with those sticky Velcro strips command strip I think they’re called  ? Used for hanging pictures .

It’s been in my kitchen kickboard for a year or more now no movement :) 

3 hours ago, Sumire said:

That reminds me, wasn't there some prototype projector type gaming light that Microsoft did, sort of an evolution of the gimmick. I do not have that ambilight, but it does look cool. I know you can buy an aftermarket one, but it is pretty expensive.

That would be the illumiroom. Looked brilliant.

I’ve actually been looking for a new tv my son’s room. I was looking at the 43” range, because it’ll be on a desk(he’s wanting to learn keyboard and mouse on Fortnite). It’ll (hopefully) in the next 3-6 months be hooked up to an Xbox Series X or PS5. 

I know I won’t get 4K/120 with nothing but HDMI 2.1, but would this tv in those sizes offer 2k/120 and 4K/60 well enough?  The ambilight looks lovely and I think my little boy would love that, which his light up keyboard and mouse!).  I know there’s a dedicated TV thread, that’s all talk of the lovely LG 4K/120 tv. Which makes me jealous(though that is the plan for the next time the living room tv gets upgraded :)). 

32 minutes ago, Dan said:

I’ve actually been looking for a new tv my son’s room. I was looking at the 43” range, because it’ll be on a desk(he’s wanting to learn keyboard and mouse on Fortnite). It’ll (hopefully) in the next 3-6 months be hooked up to an Xbox Series X or PS5. 

I know I won’t get 4K/120 with nothing but HDMI 2.1, but would this tv in those sizes offer 2k/120 and 4K/60 well enough?  The ambilight looks lovely and I think my little boy would love that, which his light up keyboard and mouse!).  I know there’s a dedicated TV thread, that’s all talk of the lovely LG 4K/120 tv. Which makes me jealous(though that is the plan for the next time the living room tv gets upgraded :)). 

How close will he be sitting to the screen? 43" is pretty big for a monitor.

If you do decide to get one then be sure to get an extended guarantee. I had a £450 Philips Ambilight LED set that just blew up, typically just outside of warranty. From research I did at the time, mine was far from the only one. Something about dodgy power boards.

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

How close will he be sitting to the screen? 43" is pretty big for a monitor.

If you do decide to get one then be sure to get an extended guarantee. I had a £450 Philips Ambilight LED set that just blew up, typically just outside of warranty. From research I did at the time, mine was far from the only one. Something about dodgy power boards.

I was considering something smaller, maybe even a monitor, but from looking around 43” seems to be a sweet spot for 4K tv’s. 

I love the idea of this but it’s just a shame it’s locked to Philips tvs. I use Philips hue and that works great On films (I use an app called sync my lights but that requires people to manually create their own light shows for a film) but it’ll only (as far as I’m still aware) show one colour, it can’t do gradients and certainly not gradients around matching the screen specifically unless they’ve released something else that can do that?

10 hours ago, MattKB said:

This looks amazing. Do you use it with everything @Mr Tony ? Any footage of something like Apex playing please?

Yep I have it on everything. When I bought it a few people told me I'd get bored of the gimmick. I love it, to the point that the TV OS is fucking shite, but I put up with it because I like the effect so much. My next telly will probably be a Google TV Philipps. 

If you get one, try and get one with Android / Google OS. The Saphi OS that Philipps put on their budget TVs is awful.

No footage of apex running on it sorry. Will try and get some for you later.