Jump to content

Remote Play (Xbox and playstation)


therearerules
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, MattKB said:

I'll try this too thanks. Is my router's local IP address the on that I type to get to the control panel in a browser?


Should be, yeah! Should show in the WiFi settings on your device too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been using remote play to play PES Master League in coach mode.

 

Very lazy but enjoyable! Started my first season as Watford and had a decent wage budget. Most of my money went on loans. I smashed the division and had half a season in the prem topping it just ahead of Liverpool.

Who then came in for me as their manager.

So I switched and with their transfer budget I bought the good Watford players. Just in case.

Then bought loads of other players.

 

Smashed the league and am maybe done now. I was offered the Brazil and France jobs but I didn't fancy them. I want England of course.

 

Still that's two seasons and before that I've been using it for PES My Club SIM matches too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Remote play on Xbox via the PC or tablet is really poor for me.  Rubbish streaming quality and laggy to the point of disconnecting.  I've no idea why. Playing PC games via Steamlink, Moonlight or even using xCloud all work fine.

 

Weird.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got a Razer Kishi a couple of weeks ago for about forty quid and have been using it here and there to play Mass Effect 2 via the Xbox app. For the most part it's been a pretty good experience and I only get lag or stuttering if I'm a fair distance from my router. I get the reminder every time to switch to a 5ghz WiFi signal, but I don't think there's a way to split the channels on my BT Smart Hub router. It's bit annoying that you have to go through the green rocket ship loading screen every time you close or open the game, and having to open the Xbox app, click on Remote Play, wait for the dash to load then choose the game, is a few clicks too many. It would be cool to have a remote play widget with your recently-played games, or something similar, so you could jump in more quickly.

 

Overall, however, I've been pretty impressed. Performance on my tablet, though (a Samsung S5e) is terrible, no matter where I am in the house.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jamie John said:

Performance on my tablet, though (a Samsung S5e) is terrible, no matter where I am in the house.

 

I have the same tablet and what I struggle to get is that streaming in the same spot from the PC or xCloud will be great. Direct from my Xbox is garbage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

 

I have the same tablet and what I struggle to get is that streaming in the same spot from the PC or xCloud will be great. Direct from my Xbox is garbage.

 

I haven't tried it with either of those yet so I'll give it a go.

 

Incidentally, how do you tend to play games on the tablet? Using touch controls? I find these are pretty rubbish, so I stand the tablet up and use a controller, but then this necessitates having a stable surface, which kind of misses the point of being able to play in bed, or similar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I got a Razer Kishi a couple of weeks ago for about forty quid and have been using it here and there to play Mass Effect 2 via the Xbox app. For the most part it's been a pretty good experience and I only get lag or stuttering if I'm a fair distance from my router. I get the reminder every time to switch to a 5ghz WiFi signal, but I don't think there's a way to split the channels on my BT Smart Hub router. It's bit annoying that you have to go through the green rocket ship loading screen every time you close or open the game, and having to open the Xbox app, click on Remote Play, wait for the dash to load then choose the game, is a few clicks too many. It would be cool to have a remote play widget with your recently-played games, or something similar, so you could jump in more quickly.

 

Overall, however, I've been pretty impressed. Performance on my tablet, though (a Samsung S5e) is terrible, no matter where I am in the house.

Everyone I click ‘Don’t show me this again’, it shows me it again anyway. I went through a disproportionate amount of effort to get a 5G channel separate (thankfully my router does let me, but I am using a wireless mesh hub into that) and I still got the message on a 100% 5G network so I think that’s just a bug. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MattKB said:

Rebooted my router, thought that did the job but quickly the same problem has returned. 
 

Tried that ping app and yep, frequent spikes 

 

 

16381AD5-F73F-4889-9C19-56CB83C85123.png


Interestingly, I have an Orbi too and had the same problem. But I couldn’t recreate this with any other devices we have - even my wife’s iPhone. I even did a full router reset which didn’t sort it at all. Resetting the network settings on my iPhone fixed it, although thinking back it did come back after a day or two. I don’t think it was fully sorted until the next iPhone software update, which I guess would have reinstalled the OS. It’s been fine since though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

 

I haven't tried it with either of those yet so I'll give it a go.

 

Incidentally, how do you tend to play games on the tablet? Using touch controls? I find these are pretty rubbish, so I stand the tablet up and use a controller, but then this necessitates having a stable surface, which kind of misses the point of being able to play in bed, or similar.

 

I'm usually playing at the table, so plug on a Series controller to avoid Bluetooth lag.

 

I'll play something that's not twitchy like LAD or Slay the Spire if I'm using touch. Other then a few bits* so far, really enjoyed Yakuza as a touch game.

 

* It was impossible to cycle in a straight line during the can collection mini game 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're in the same general location as your xbox you can just use the controller synced with the xbox, so all that's being sent data wise is the images and sound to your remote device, rather than anything going the other way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, therearerules said:

If you're in the same general location as your xbox you can just use the controller synced with the xbox, so all that's being sent data wise is the images and sound to your remote device, rather than anything going the other way.

 

Yes, that'd work great since the kitchen table's not that far away, if the stream itself wasn't pants. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2021 at 20:39, Paulando said:


Yeah, try rebooting everything first.
 

But if you’re using an iOS device, try downloading this app and ping your router’s local IP address: 

 

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ping-network-monitor/id1397401806

 

Or on any other device there are loads of ways of doing the same thing. I had the same problem with remote play and on Stadia, but found that every 10 seconds or so the ping to my router was 100ms+. Fixed that by resetting the network settings on my iPhone.

 

So this worked when I actually rebooted my router (not the Orbi!) and was working fine, but today the issue has returned with the ping app showing spikes on iPad and iPhone - same problem returned on remote play. 

 

Does anyone know what causing this? I can reboot again to fix the issue (presumably) but be good to know why it goes tits up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Anybody had any joy doing Xbox remote play on the PC? Heard it was here, but am struggling to even find it as an option


It’s part of the console companion app which they are phasing out in favour the Xbox Gamepass one but it still currently only works for the Xbox one consoles and not the Series S/X.

 

Its means to be returning in a future update along with cloud play using the app rather than a browser but not available currently as far as I know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/play

 

Log in here and you can play the X-cloud enabled games on your PC. I've used it for a few Rewards based games (especially while my One X was getting repaired) and it works ok. A bit laggy for more twitch based experiences though.

 

@therearerules


This is Xcloud rather than remote play (cloud connects to a remote Series X and streams that whilst remote play connects to your local Xbox. The main difference is you

can only play cloud enabled games through Xcloud rather than with remote play you can play anything installed on the local Xbox).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:


This is Xcloud rather than remote play (cloud connects to a remote Series X and streams that whilst remote play connects to your local Xbox. The main difference is you

can only play cloud enabled games through Xcloud rather than with remote play you can play anything installed on the local Xbox).

Ah, cheers. Only recently got back on the Xbox train after a few years away and haven't caught up on the different jargon yet :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

Its means to be returning in a future update along with cloud play using the app rather than a browser but not available currently as far as I know.

 

Remote play is either in or about to hit the insider channel for Windows.  Not sure when it'll go live but should happen this year I'd have thought.

 

Hope it's better than OneS streaming. I can stream from my PC or from xCloud to multiple devices and it's great.  Xbox in home streaming was always garbage for some reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.