Remote Play (Xbox and playstation)

therearerules

Anybody else using remote play? I've used the MOGA adapters with my phone (pixel 5) and it has worked amazingly well*, playing Forza and Outer Wilds in bed is fantastic, and whilst the screen isn't as big it hasn't mattered yet. I've had some sound issues, but I think that's because I've plugged the headphones into the controller whilst I'm waiting for wireless headphones to arrive.

I've also tried it on my laptop, but no dice. Apparenty that's One X/S only, so I'm hoping a fix for that comes along soon. I've also tried it on my ipad, but it has difficulties connecting to the controller. Not sure if anybody else has tried it.

*Not Tetris Effect though, that's the only game I've found so far that can't be remotely played.

32 minutes ago, auntyclimax said:

Just waiting for Apple to support the Series pad. It works though, I just can't control anything. Strange that touch screen doesn't work for navigating menu's though I thought.

I use it on my iPad and just have the pad still connected to the series x - I have also used my iPhone as a basic controller as often just remote in to fire up a game pass game to get the reward, bit of a pain having to use the iPhone due to no touch control on iPad!

17 hours ago, auntyclimax said:

Just waiting for Apple to support the Series pad. It works though, I just can't control anything. Strange that touch screen doesn't work for navigating menu's though I thought.

Didn't realise it just wasn't supported- my iPad can be a bit temperamental so I just put it down to that. More disappointed in the lack of Win 10 support to be honest, that seems really odd, the left hand of Microsoft actively ignoring what the right hand is doing.

4 hours ago, therearerules said:

At the moment the PC companion app is for the One consoles only. There is a weird fix I've seen when googling involving sideloading something but I haven't tried it.

Ah that's annoying. I've tried running it on my Chrome OS tablet with the android app running, but it doesn't register inputs on the series pad unfortunately.

9 hours ago, therearerules said:

At the moment the PC companion app is for the One consoles only. There is a weird fix I've seen when googling involving sideloading something but I haven't tried it.

Tried getting it going with the Android app. No dice.

Console is connected and claims good to go for streaming, phone app just cannot see it. It does think my old One X is on the network, which it isn't (and it's totally removed from my account). It just sits on the screen saying turn on your console and sign in.

35 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

Tried getting it going with the Android app. No dice.

Console is connected and claims good to go for streaming, phone app just cannot see it. It does think my old One X is on the network, which it isn't (and it's totally removed from my account). It just sits on the screen saying turn on your console and sign in.

I had a similar problem. Using the streaming icon at the top of the app would not find my console for love nor money. I think in the end I found it through another route. Maybe via Library > Consoles.

See if that works.

1 hour ago, choduk said:

I had a similar problem. Using the streaming icon at the top of the app would not find my console for love nor money. I think in the end I found it through another route. Maybe via Library > Consoles.

See if that works.

You're amazing :wub:

I found the responsiveness good enough to play low level 100bpm fuser, which surprised me. Though I did calibrate it! Certainly better than GeForce Now to my laptop, but I think the laptop’s Wi-fi is causing me problems there with image breakup.

Just did a whole bunch of the Undead Settlement in Dark Souls 3 on my phone in bed, including the bastard before the Road of Sacrifice and the big Fire Demon (down to a sliver of health on that). And the only time I died was rolling off the elevator, and then running back to the elevator not realising a hole would be there. Amazing scenes.

13 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Which app do you download for this? I haven't tried to set it up yet but it feels like it should be more obvious.

I mean, Microsoft...this is a really sorry state of affairs. Sort yourselves out.

image.thumb.png.04cd1fd719e2f495fbb53fc8c2051a28.png

My laptop has the companion app preinstalled, but it only supports streaming from the Xbone at the moment. 

I got the iOS app to work finally, although it complained about being able to see the Series X but not connect to it until I set up the console on wifi - I haven’t tried it again since, but when I mentioned this before another forumite commented that it worked for them over a wire, so it’s clearly just temperamental. 

I assume there’s no benefit connecting the controller to the iPad if all you want to do is play in your own home, in the same room?

Laptop is a waiting game for Series compatibility. iOS and Android it's the XBox app, not the gamepass app, which you want. Then the icon in the top right (it's meant to look like an xbox with wifi waves coming out) lets you remote play. Currently the Series pad isn't supported on iOS.

• 2 months later...

Changed the title since I've got a PS4 and have been using the remote play on that. I've actually been really impressed with it so far on the phone, less so on the iPad. That is probably just down to the age differences between them.

On the Android phone it works flawlessly, the only issue being hand cramps. This could be because I'm playing 13 Sentinels, which is a VN, so not super intensive. I have downloaded pstreamer to use my xbox controller and moga clip, bit unsure of the setup, but it seems legit so far. It also allows play away from home, not that that will happen in the foreseeable future.

iPad is more temperamental, but comes with xbox controller support as standard. Lots of disconnections though. The only reason xbox controller support is needed for me on this is because I can't be doing with connecting it back to the PS4 every time after remote play.

All in all though, both were a great success. The idea of big consoles requiring the TV, certainly for non-twitch gaming, is antiquated.

I've used both the direct Xbox streaming to a windows 10 PC, and using the xcloud gamepass service on an android tablet. It's been an absolute godsend for me. We got a new puppy last Oct, which we had to keep out of our main lounge where the xbox lives, which meant as I was always on late-night puppy duty I was also locked out of any gaming, while being stuck up late doing nothing. Being able to stream to our oldish non-gaming spec Win10 laptop has been a brilliant way for me to be able to continue to play.

I still find it incredible that the functionality even exists, I let out a slightly amazed chuckle and shake of the head every time I load up the companion app and connect to the Xbox. The beauty of it not even needing any particularly meaty PC hardware is amazing, so it's worked perfectly with my decade-old desktop machine and the really basic laptop we have.

• 4 months later...

I'm finding that this was working brilliantly for Xbox and PS5, but the last few weeks it's been stuttering every few seconds. Given it's happening on both I assume something on my network has happened, but nothing has changed at all. 

Any ideas of things to check? 

• therearerules changed the title to Remote Play (Xbox and playstation)
42 minutes ago, MattKB said:

I'm finding that this was working brilliantly for Xbox and PS5, but the last few weeks it's been stuttering every few seconds. Given it's happening on both I assume something on my network has happened, but nothing has changed at all. 

Any ideas of things to check? 

Yeah, try rebooting everything first.

But if you’re using an iOS device, try downloading this app and ping your router’s local IP address: 

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ping-network-monitor/id1397401806

Or on any other device there are loads of ways of doing the same thing. I had the same problem with remote play and on Stadia, but found that every 10 seconds or so the ping to my router was 100ms+. Fixed that by resetting the network settings on my iPhone.

6 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Yeah, try rebooting everything first.

But if you’re using an iOS device, try downloading this app and ping your router’s local IP address: 

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ping-network-monitor/id1397401806

Or on any other device there are loads of ways of doing the same thing. I had the same problem with remote play and on Stadia, but found that every 10 seconds or so the ping to my router was 100ms+. Fixed that by resetting the network settings on my iPhone.

I'll try this too thanks. Is my router's local IP address the on that I type to get to the control panel in a browser?