IGNORED

Prey (was: Predator 5)

JohnC

13 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

They're exactly like real sport hunters, aren't they? Think they're big tough guys but actually they're just dickheads relying on hiding (in this universe, active camo stands in for ghillie suits) and a massive firepower advantage. 

And we all love to see them get their comeuppance. Like how it's incredibly satisfying when a toreador gets gored by the bull.

That’s really the vibe, isn’t it? Arseholes. Thanks for French translation btw, I didn’t mind it being unsubtitled in the film but that is one funny line. 

Really enjoyed the film myself - thought it was going to be a bit weirder than it turned out for some reason, I think I misinterpreted the hype. It’s quite conventional, really. So well crafted though, it’s quite rich throughout, there’s so much to see. Lots of foreshadowing, a few sneaky predator references, how it showed how the Native Americans lived their lives (particularly loved when she picked up the wood from the tribal stock. Community-owned energy). Should be good to rewatch. 

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Anyway I enjoyed that. Only bit I genuinely disliked was the

Spoiler

I disagree - that kind of thing lives or dies on its delivery and I thought it really worked here. Same as Karl Urban with “Ma-Ma is not the law. I am the law.” Fuckin DEADLY

I think it was delivered okay, it just felt entirely unnecessary

Spoiler

It completely took me out of the movie, because it reminded me I was watching not only a "Predator" movie, but something that's part of a franchise that has "iconic" lines in it.

It's so much more immersive when characters exist on their own terms, which this film otherwise does extremely well, without having to rely on shoving that dialogue in for them to say.

Really enjoyed this. It's a good, solid film, plays well with the idea, and doesn't go too overblown. Nice gory action, too, rather than overly sanitised - I like my violence to have heft. I need a good wince.

Spoiler

I particularly liked the Predator basically picking fights with various other lower-case predators, instead of just being there to hunt humans. I even thought the bear had fucked it up and that there'd be another Predator for Naru to fight. Seeing it come out of those fights licking its wounds made it more vulnerable, and the subsequent takedown in the finale a lot more easy to take than if it was plasma-casting its way through the animal kingdom like some sort of Space Republican.

I also enjoyed the bait and switch when Naru fell into the mud, but immediately washed it off. I thought they'd gone and done it again when she figured the Predator couldn't see the French translator when he had taken his herbs, only for him to be instantly skewered - I knew he'd been stepped on, but I thought maybe she didn't see that, only heard the screaming.

7 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Or this is set before Predators got so soft they wouldn’t even go on Safari unless the weather was good.

"When I was little, we found a man. He looked like... like, butchered. The old woman in the village crossed themselves... and whispered crazy things- strange things. "El Diablo cazador de hombres." Only in the hottest years this happens- and this year, it grows hot. We begin finding our men. We found them sometimes without their skins... and sometimes much, much worse. ..."El cazador trofeo de los hombres" means "the demon who makes trophies of men".

11 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:
Spoiler

I particularly liked the Predator basically picking fights with various other lower-case predators, instead of just being there to hunt humans.

I assumed this was their first trip here, so they were just getting a vibe for the place and what predators inhabit the planet. They ultimately found humans challenging to hunt so kept coming back. Also their tech improved over the 200-300 years.

Regarding the heat, I assumed they are cold blooded reptiles (like the chameleon), so prefer a warm climate.

I took this Predator to be Naru's equivalent.

Spoiler

I'm not sure if I'm reading into it too much but there were several scenes of showing her stitching herself up then cutting to Preds doing similar suggesting an equivalency. I took him to be a low level Pred who was proving himself by going down to pick on a load of stupid human hunters, hence him constantly getting the shit kicked out of him by bears/snakes/wolves/the French. 

The point of the whole thing for me was that by the end Naru had learned to hunt with her brain and Pred had continued to rely on his tech, hence him getting absolutely owned and her walking away with a cool new mask. 

It was good! I liked it a lot more once Preds got involved then I thought it got better and better which is always a good sign! Far from one of the best of the year and I'd have much preferred to have seen it on the big screen but in no way do I regret the time I spent with it. A solid 3 maybe 4 stars. 

One thing that I found distracting was that all the tribe members looked very modern. Can quite put my finger on why that was (makeup, hair care, general grooming standards?) But they all looked like they came from the 21st century.

14 hours ago, Benny said:

I think it was delivered okay, it just felt entirely unnecessary

Hide contents

It completely took me out of the movie, because it reminded me I was watching not only a "Predator" movie, but something that's part of a franchise that has "iconic" lines in it.

It's so much more immersive when characters exist on their own terms, which this film otherwise does extremely well, without having to rely on shoving that dialogue in for them to say.

The line makes perfect sense in context and is perhaps even more appropriate given the timeframe (realising the beast mortal rather than supernatural) but yeah, to me it sounded like someone throwing a toolbox down the stairs. I dunno how you repeat such a famous line without that clanging effect.

I like the "I'll be back" in Terminator 2, because the context it's used in flips the meaning and mirrors Arnie's role as protector rather than killer. It becomes a promise rather than a threat. Maybe something clever like that would've worked better.

Just seen it. Geniunely think it's going to be my favourite film ever.

I would now like to see a predator dropped into other historical contexts, including but not limited to, the crusades, ww1, the London blackouts.

24 minutes ago, Mikes said:

I would now like to see a predator dropped into other historical contexts, including but not limited to, the crusades, ww1, the London blackouts.

Any previous Tory party conference.

39 minutes ago, Mikes said:

The next series of Peaky Blinders..

41 minutes ago, Mikes said:

Roman legions circa Augustan, Tiberian or, even better, Caligula's rule.

Backstory. So I picked up a Sony OLED Bravia XR a few weeks ago, first tv in like over 10 years. First film I watched on this new Sony was Star Wars Episode IV. Wow.. it looked absolutely amazing. I mean I’ve never seen video quality like this…

Anyway, I started watching Prey and after about 10 minutes or so I had to switch it off. The CGI is like, absolutely the most fucking atrocious I’ve seen in a while. Is it the new TV? I dunno.. but I started watching Le Mans 66 on it instead and that looks amazing.

Maybe Prey has like a budget of 20p, but the absolutely fucking terrible CGI of the eagle just did it for me. I dunno it felt like one of those cheap films you see on Sci Fi. Maybe it gets better, but I don’t if I can be arsed finding out. 

I’ve just watched this, and was a bit underwhelmed. It all seemed a bit formulaic, and because of the back to basics approach, it felt like it was competing directly with the original film, which is a contest it’s never going to win. If nothing else, the huge personalities and memorable dialogue were really lacking in this - the dialogue in particular was a bit banal, with the only really memorable lines being quotes from the first film. 

I dunno. There were some good bits - I liked the way they characterised the predator as a wanker who you wanted to see killed, it was a clever variation on the noble hunter of the original. But generally, it all seemed quite forgettable. And the 

Spoiler

magical herb that lowers peoples body temperatures so that the predator can’t see them (but doesn’t cause hypothermia or impair their ability to fight in any way) was a bit too contrived for me. 

Maybe I would have enjoyed it a bit more if I’d seen it in the cinema, and it’s clearly the best Predator film after the original, but I thought it was fairly thin stuff. 

Thought it was a bit naff to begin with but was totally on board by the end. Action/ fights you can actually make out what's happening! Surprisingly good. 

Wonder if it would have worked better if they kept the predator a complete secret until late into the film, they are fighting something invisible (and silent) most of the way through. Would have made quite a cool reveal. 

I loved it. Proper “they don’t make em like that anymore” vibes. 

Nice slow build before something actually happens (unlike the Marvel standard of MASSIVE opening thing to stop you looking at your phone), and then the action/fighting is visible and has actual peril, not just two Krav Maga experts locking and blocking for 5 minutes. 

Also, 1h40m, none of this 2h20m bullshit. 

Looking forward to watching it again. 

Watched this twice now, and reflected on views expressed here and elsewhere. All in all a beautifully made film, and probably about the best we could have hoped for.

Stuff I really enjoyed:

Spoiler

Pace: did its best to kind of emulate the tension/mystery of the original, even though of course there is none now.

Fake outs: Who killed the buffalo? Will she use the mud?

Call backs/Easter Eggs: some very obvious, others a bit subtler (catching it in a net, marking Taabe's chest with the knife)

Humour/character: I liked her relationship with her brother, still joking with each other almost to the end. Also, I almost thought I heard the Pred say "stick around!" after he chopped the guy's head off by opening his shield.

Occasional new ideas: especially pulling his tooth off and sticking it in his eye 🤪

Biggest disappointment:

Spoiler

The soundtrack. Don't get me wrong, the music was fine, but the original Predator soundtrack is a masterpiece and at least some callbacks to it were surely deserved?

Overall, a solid 4 spinal columns out of 5.

On reflection, though, I think what this movie shows even more effectively than the other various sequels/spinoffs is that once the fundamental "wtf is going on here?" question is answered (which the original film took basically its entire runtime to do), the

Spoiler

whole concept of the Predator(s)

just runs out of steam as a plot device. Do we really now want to see the same story retold across endless historical backdrops? I'm not sure what we would gain from that.

The new marvel predator comics which has just started has an interesting premise which could work as a movie 

Spoiler

Set near future young girl watches her parents get killed by a predator while exploring a new planet.  The story picks up 10 or 15 years later where she is hunting predators across the galaxy trying to find and kill the one who murdered her family