IGNORED

Prey (was: Predator 5)

JohnC

• 8 months later...

The name has been revealed as Skull. It's a prequel, before the first movie. A long time before as it's about "a Comanche woman who goes against gender norms and traditions to become a warrior" and apparently a Predator's first visit to this planet.

https://collider.com/predator-new-movie-title-skull-origin-story-plot-details-timeline-female-lead/

Sounds very similar to the setup of the first film. I'm happy to be proved wrong, but I get the sense that Predator was a one-film idea. Every sequel has really struggled to do much that's particularly different to the original film. Predator 2 was probably the natural alternate setting for a film, but even that exhausted the potential pretty early on.

With the Alien films, the creature is so compelling and so scary that you want to find out more about it. With the predators, I struggle to really care about discovering more about their society, and once that's gone, they're just mad alien rastas that like hunting humans.

3 hours ago, Gambit said:

That sounds interesting. They should now just turn the Predator franchise into Assassin's Creed and just have the Predator arriving during different time periods.

No doubt in my mind this has been pitched many times and given serious thought by execs. 

(christ, there's the old timey guns in the second film) 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Darwock said:

Oh god, Amber Midthunder. She looked really awkward doing the fight scenes in Legion I thought, very stiff and obviously choreographed. And the acting side was probably worse.

Ha- I thought the same. I was wondering how she got the part the whole time.....

• 6 months later...

Please tell me we’re not going to have a predator hunting tribesmen and using weapons like a plasma caster? A single predator took on an elite military unit of six, who were using modern firearms, in the original film because it considered that fair odds. Unless this predator is planning to fight an entire tribe single-handedly then there’s a comical imbalance here. 

No doubt, being Native American, they're all expert trackers, deadly expert with primitive weapons and all that kind of thing. In Hollywood anyway.

Where do you think Arnold learnt those traps from??

32 minutes ago, JohnC said:

No doubt, being Native American, they're all expert trackers, deadly expert with primitive weapons and all that kind of thing. In Hollywood anyway.

This is one of those concepts that, when you first think of it, seems like it would be cool. And then you think about it for more than a fraction of a second, and realise it'll be shit.

The Predator versus Native Americans? Cool!

Wait, it's bows and tomahawks versus heat vision and energy weapons. Which we sorted out in the first film in 10 minutes at the end.

This is going to have cultural subtlety not seen since the Victorian era isn't it?

I was gonna say "but the predator lore allows for them to strip off their weapons and even the odds" but then the trailer just ruins that argument completely.

I'll still watch it - Christ, I've suffered through them all so far - but mainly because each one elevates the original even further into the Greatest Action Movie Ever Made stratosphere. 

The thing that made Predator great wasn’t the alien or all it’s gadgets & backstory, it was all the time spent with Arnold & his ultimate crew. I doubt whatever jabronis they have in this latest attempt won’t have physiques anything like the line-up in Predator.