IGNORED

Next gen audio - Sony's 3D audio, Dolby Digital - what's going on?

Pob

4 minutes ago, footle said:

The “switch it out of performance mode” advice seems quite important. I was massively underwhelmed with it on.

Yep, and the equaliser settings make quite a difference too (I settled on warm, but it's probably dependent on your headphones).

The "performance mode" is particularly annoying because it sounds like it's something that's designed to reduce lag, and it's on by default, whereas in actual fact it's just a crappy equaliser setting designed to emphasise footsteps over everything else (thereby I suppose increasing your "performance" in games?) It's rubbish anyway and should be the first thing you disable in the Atmos app.

I use game warm or movie balanced 

Crackdown 3 impressed me a lot with atmos, can really pinpoint those agility orbs even if they're behind and above you. I've found that games that don't natively support atmos seem better with dts, depending on if your headphones have a profile in the dts app. 

Atmos is definitely better for films. I found Mission Impossible Rogue Nation has an atmos soundtrack on bluray (not 4k bluray). Amazing with the atmos features on. 

On 20/11/2020 at 11:14, Garwoofoo said:

Xbox has always had built-in 3D sound support through any pair of standard headphones, via the controller jack or USB. By default it uses Windows Sonic which is pretty good but for a small fee you can get Atmos or DTS:X which are genuinely excellent. This is the same on both the Xbox One and the new X|S consoles.

This is just a case of Sony playing catch-up and claiming it as an innovation. Surprised they haven't been called out on this more.

I had no idea!  Is this something which is applicable to PCs as well and would it have any affect when using a surround sound amp?

4 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I had no idea!  Is this something which is applicable to PCs as well and would it have any affect when using a surround sound amp?

PC audio is its own special world of shit, particularly if you don't connect each channel separately to an amp and go via hdmi via ARC.

You can plug a pair of headphones in and use one of these types of processing though.

It's probably worth pointing out that Sony (in particular) and Microsoft have both included significantly more hardware support for 3D audio than there was in previous consoles.

2 minutes ago, footle said:

PC audio is its own special world of shit, particularly if you don't connect each channel separately to an amp and go via hdmi via ARC.

You can plug a pair of headphones in and use one of these types of processing though.

It's probably worth pointing out that Sony (in particular) and Microsoft have both included significantly more hardware support for 3D audio than there was in previous consoles.

I use optical straight from the PC to my amp, so probably the same world of shit!  It seems to work ok as it is so probably not worth worrying about too much.

25 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

If you buy the Dolby Atmos or DTS:X apps you can use them across 10 different devices, Xbox or PC, so they do definitely work on the PC, but I've not got the foggiest how.

2 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

If you buy the Dolby Atmos or DTS:X apps you can use them across 10 different devices, Xbox or PC, so they do definitely work on the PC, but I've not got the foggiest how.

Sound settings -> device properties -> spatial sound 

6 hours ago, footle said:

It's noticeable for sure, I remember the atmos effect being inconsistent on the Bone, like it was being turned off in more demanding games as the cpu couldn't handle it. Much better on the SX.