Jump to content

Playstation Preparing A Game Pass Style Offering?


Robo_1
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

You can still own something digitally - the difference with these subs is that you don’t own any of them, you essentially rent them for as long as you keep paying the subscription, or until it’s taken off the service - it’s a big difference. 

 

30 years ago, buying a physical game gave you ownership of the game to play on a console that you owned. The limitation on ownership being the physical longevity of the media and the console to play it on. I still own games that I bought in the 1980s. I own them and can choose to experience them as I bought them over 30 years ago.

 

In 20 years time, I will not be able to do that with games bought today.

 

When you make a physical or digital purchase today, you are only buying a license to download the game from a remote server. That license is only valid for as long as the service that you have bought the game from keeps running.

 

When you subscribe to a service, you get a license to download a number of games for as long as you keep paying your subscription and the subscription keeps running.

 

In both of the last 2 cases, you also have the impact of patches, multiplayer content and server continuation which all fundamentally ruin the concept of ownership.

 

The later 2 are far closer to each other than the example from 30 years ago. When you 'buy' a game now all you are actually doing is paying a lump sum up front to access a service, for as long as that service exists, rather than paying an ongoing subscription.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Cheyenne said:

Sony have already started something like this, with the announced PS Plus Collection for PS5. You get access to these available immediately if you have a sub:

 

Bloodborne

Days Gone

Detroit: Become Human

God of War

Infamous Second Son

Ratchet and Clank 

The Last Guardian

The Last of Us Remastered

Until Dawn

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

Batman: Arkham Knight

Battlefield 1

Call of Duty: Black Ops III – Zombies Chronicles Edition

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

Fallout 4

Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition

Monster Hunter: World

Mortal Kombat X

Persona 5

Resident Evil 7 biohazard

 

Honestly that's a really solid line up of PS4 games ready to go if you happened to skip that console. Ideally it will be continually expanded upon.


Ideally I’d love Sony to look at All Access/Gamepass and see if they can offer a road forward with a sub that includes the console too. Up to date content for me is slightly less important because I’m a previous Gen skipper, and as you rightly point out, there’s some stellar PS4 stuff on PS+ to keep me going while I think about spending on current games.  I won’t have the budget to go mad like I could in the Dreamcast/360 eras because kids. Summary; heart says PS5, head says XSX, because £29 a month for the console plus GP Ultimate is such a good deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jammy said:


Ideally I’d love Sony to look at All Access/Gamepass and see if they can offer a road forward with a sub that includes the console too. Up to date content for me is slightly less important because I’m a previous Gen skipper, and as you rightly point out, there’s some stellar PS4 stuff on PSN to keep me going while I think about spending on current games.  I won’t have the budget to go mad like I could in the Dreamcast/360 eras because kids. Summary; heart says PS5, head says XSX.

I was saying to a friend that this new gen appears to be a good time to 'switch' (no not that Switch) consoles to what you had the last time. I won't be buying anything for at least another year (I travel a lot and have no real base so it's a pointless investment for me, don't even have a TV!) but the Series X has more of an appeal due to Game Pass, as I've never owned an Xbox console so there's a wealth of legacy content for me to try for the first time. If Sony could up their Plus service to truly rival that I'd stick with the PS5 (I am inclined towards it purely on what the next iteration of VR is like, as that is something I have a major interest in).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

 

30 years ago, buying a physical game gave you ownership of the game to play on a console that you owned. The limitation on ownership being the physical longevity of the media and the console to play it on. I still own games that I bought in the 1980s. I own them and can choose to experience them as I bought them over 30 years ago.

 

In 20 years time, I will not be able to do that with games bought today.

 

When you make a physical or digital purchase today, you are only buying a license to download the game from a remote server. That license is only valid for as long as the service that you have bought the game from keeps running.

 

When you subscribe to a service, you get a license to download a number of games for as long as you keep paying your subscription and the subscription keeps running.

 

In both of the last 2 cases, you also have the impact of patches, multiplayer content and server continuation which all fundamentally ruin the concept of ownership.

 

The later 2 are far closer to each other than the example from 30 years ago. When you 'buy' a game now all you are actually doing is paying a lump sum up front to access a service, for as long as that service exists, rather than paying an ongoing subscription.

Yeah I understand the difference with ‘ownership’ now in the digital age compared to back in the day, but even then there’s a big difference between me buying, say, Fallout 4 outright with a one off payment and being able to play it for as long as I want versus subscribing to a service that I must keep paying to play it at all with the real possibility of it coming off the service entirely. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jg15 said:

I dunno, I personally find that Gamepass has opened up other avenues in gaming for me. Games like Supraland, Hypnospace Outlaw, Gato Roboto, Eastshade, Deliver us the Moon I have thoroughly enjoyed through GP. Some I have enjoyed so much I have purchased out of respect for the Developer.

 

Basically, a lot of these Indie games would not be getting the wider appreciation if it wasn't for platforms like Gamepass. I think its a great place for Indie Dev's to show their wares and to widen gamers eyes to a broader field of games and experiences. 

 

Not everything has to be open world 60+ hour AAA with the best graphics, I am generally finding that they are the more shallow "Hollywood" experiences as I get older.

 

 

Agree with this.

 

Think a Sony version of GamePass would be great - always good to have competition. If they release on PC too great. 

 

Only thing is though there is only so much content out there and games start getting dispersed on different services all the time you will end up needing multiple consoles to not only play the console exclusive titles but the Gamepass services titles too. In the end it all depends who has got the deepest pockets to secure the best content. Of course there will always be console exclusives. 

 

I quite like the direction things are going. Think having a PC is a great middle ground too as eventually all services will be available on it. Then there is streaming too which MS and Sony now offer.

 

Eventually I see both XBox and Playstation to be platforms for gaming, the Netlix and Amazon Prime if you will. Platform agnostic services. Play on what you have. Which leads me to what I would really embrace - access to the games without a piece of bespoke hardware as a barrier to entry. Lets face it the money made these days is not on hardware - its on games and services. It is not getting cheaper to make these so they need as many people on their platform as possible so getting the barrier to entry down to access is key.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BeeJay said:

All Sony really need to do is:

 

  • Merge PSNow and PSPlus in to one subscription (You already need to continue to be subscribed to PSPlus to play the games)

 

Just to correct one small point, this isn't right, you can play online on PSNow games without PSPlus : https://blog.playstation.com/2019/10/01/playstation-now-everything-you-need-to-know/

 

PSNow is great, though I think Sony's business model is too focused on exclusives to ever have a day one release schedule. Still, even 6 months later would be good. They sort of do that, but it's pretty begrudging (games only stay on for a limited time).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

 

30 years ago, buying a physical game gave you ownership of the game to play on a console that you owned. The limitation on ownership being the physical longevity of the media and the console to play it on. I still own games that I bought in the 1980s. I own them and can choose to experience them as I bought them over 30 years ago.

 

In 20 years time, I will not be able to do that with games bought today.

 

When you make a physical or digital purchase today, you are only buying a license to download the game from a remote server. That license is only valid for as long as the service that you have bought the game from keeps running.

 

When you subscribe to a service, you get a license to download a number of games for as long as you keep paying your subscription and the subscription keeps running.

 

In both of the last 2 cases, you also have the impact of patches, multiplayer content and server continuation which all fundamentally ruin the concept of ownership.

 

The later 2 are far closer to each other than the example from 30 years ago. When you 'buy' a game now all you are actually doing is paying a lump sum up front to access a service, for as long as that service exists, rather than paying an ongoing subscription.

 

In 20 years you might be dead though. What's the point in worrying about that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

 

30 years ago, buying a physical game gave you ownership of the game to play on a console that you owned. The limitation on ownership being the physical longevity of the media and the console to play it on. I still own games that I bought in the 1980s. I own them and can choose to experience them as I bought them over 30 years ago.

 

In 20 years time, I will not be able to do that with games bought today.

 

When you make a physical or digital purchase today, you are only buying a license to download the game from a remote server. That license is only valid for as long as the service that you have bought the game from keeps running.

 

When you subscribe to a service, you get a license to download a number of games for as long as you keep paying your subscription and the subscription keeps running.

 

In both of the last 2 cases, you also have the impact of patches, multiplayer content and server continuation which all fundamentally ruin the concept of ownership.

 

The later 2 are far closer to each other than the example from 30 years ago. When you 'buy' a game now all you are actually doing is paying a lump sum up front to access a service, for as long as that service exists, rather than paying an ongoing subscription.

You don't actually own anything anyway. Just a license to use the content. It's been that way for a long time really. Just people equate having a physical thing as "ownership" to the content on it. You just own the physical cart/cd whatever - which with without the content has no value to anyone.

 

I get what you are saying though. Once you have licensed the content the licensee has essentially no control after that point and you are free to use as long as you have it in your possession.  Problem is hardware breaks in the end too. So digital and physical will always have their pros and cons.

 

Although physical is 100% on its way out... Even Nintendo are going digital. A lot of games on the Switch although physical require patches or additional downloads. So although you'll have a cart if the service isn't there to update the content or download the additional content you just have a piece of plastic with part of a game on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

 

Just to correct one small point, this isn't right, you can play online on PSNow games without PSPlus : https://blog.playstation.com/2019/10/01/playstation-now-everything-you-need-to-know/

 

PSNow is great, though I think Sony's business model is too focused on exclusives to ever have a day one release schedule. Still, even 6 months later would be good. They sort of do that, but it's pretty begrudging (games only stay on for a limited time).

 

I meant that you need to be a continued member of PSPlus to continue to play your PSPlus library. It isn't like games with gold where the games are yours to keep 'forever'.

 

I wasn't talking about playing PSNow games online which I know doesn'ty require PSPlus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jg15 said:

I suppose they could launch a PC version, good way to capture a new audience etc.

 

You've been able to get PS Now on PC for ages, I've never seen it promoted though.

 

1 hour ago, Minion said:

<stuff>

 

Whilst I don't disagree with your broader point (of course MS just want your money, just like Sony & Nintendo do too), Game Pass does feature a lot of indie games on the service, which often get equal billing with top titles both in terms of announcement and in the rolling banner on the app.

 

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

From what I understand, the only benefit of Game Pass is the games available through the subscription. And PS Plus isn’t Game Pass, it’s Xbox Live Gold. Anyway, I wouldn’t subscribe to a service where the only benefit is free games, because to me it’s a bit of a lottery... but I can’t blame people for seeing the appeal.

 

Do you subscribe to Netflix then? And, if you do, why is your stance different for games? After all, Netflix only offers films/TV and is also "...a bit of a lottery" - plus at least Game Pass gives you the opportunity at all times to buy a game if you really like it.

 

For me, if Sony did relaunch PS Now and beefed up the proposition then I would possibly be interested in subbing via PC. It would be a completely new customer for them too, as I've no interest in owning a PS4 or PS5, don't care for the majority of their first-party content and I hate Sony's pads - but if I could play via PC with an Xbox pad I'd possibly give something like Spider-Man a go. In actual fact, I did look into subbing a while back purely for that reason but I think you do currently need a DS4, plus Spider-Man wasn't on there at the time, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Do you subscribe to Netflix then? And, if you do, why is your stance different for games? After all, Netflix only offers films/TV and is also "...a bit of a lottery" - plus at least Game Pass gives you the opportunity at all times to buy a game if you really like it.


No.

 

Again, I’m not rubbishing the service, it’s just not for me. I have enough trouble making time to finish the games I buy, never mind paying for a service where the sole benefit is more games that I won’t make time for... :blush: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Gabe said:

For me, if Sony did relaunch PS Now and beefed up the proposition then I would possibly be interested in subbing via PC. It would be a completely new customer for them too, as I've no interest in owning a PS4 or PS5, don't care for the majority of their first-party content and I hate Sony's pads - but if I could play via PC with an Xbox pad I'd possibly give something like Spider-Man a go. In actual fact, I did look into subbing a while back purely for that reason but I think you do currently need a DS4, plus Spider-Man wasn't on there at the time, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future.

Indeed ditto. There are some games I've really enjoyed on Sony's platform. Some I've just wanted to try out and see what I thought. Decided this time I am not buying two consoles and picked the one that has the majority of games I want to play. I'd love to play though The Last Guardian though or have a blast on Gran Turismo 7 or try out Spiderman. Having a service say on the PC would be fantastic as I don't have to buy another console to do that.

 

Happy with the console I chose however do eye up some of the Sony content now and again... however staying strong this gen. Don't have space or time for two consoles. One console one PC household here! :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Indeed ditto. There are some games I've really enjoyed on Sony's platform. Some I've just wanted to try out and see what I thought. Decided this time I am not buying two consoles and picked the one that has the majority of games I want to play. I'd love to play though The Last Guardian though or have a blast on Gran Turismo 7 or try out Spiderman. Having a service say on the PC would be fantastic as I don't have to buy another console to do that.

 

Happy with the console I chose however do eye up some of the Sony content now and again... however staying strong this gen. Don't have space or time for two consoles. One console one PC household here! :D

 

As I said, they *do* already have PS Now on PC, which it says has over 700 titles on there: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/ps-now/ps-now-on-pc/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Gabe said:

 

As I said, they *do* already have PS Now on PC, which it says has over 700 titles on there: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/ps-now/ps-now-on-pc/

Indeed. Will have a look at that. Shame its old titles though however its a start I guess! :) Things like Uncharted 4, Spiderman and Last Of Us 2 would be appreciated for example. In the case of LoU2 it would have saved me having to re-buy a PS4 to play and sell it again.... :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if the way game licenses work has changed for PS5? Its not relevant yet but I'm just wondering if buying a PS5 copy of Fifa will eventually mean I'll be able to stream it through PS Now or will EA be able to step in and say nah son. 

 

I don't think we're going to see any major changes to PS Now until they start upgrading their backend hardware to PS5 based solutions. I haven't used a PS5 but from what I've seen and read then that card based stuff seems like it could work really well on a streaming service. Presumably Sony designed the PS5 with one eye on rolling out the hardware in server form so hopefully there'll be more console features on the way that also make their next-gen streaming experience better. Improving how they handle cloud saves so you don't have to think about it, like the way it is on Xbox now, would be nice. The neatest thing about the xCloud beta is that it just picks up your game saves when you are signed in to the service. A version of PS now where it just works with your games saves with no hassle sounds good to me. 

 

I don't think Sony will follow Microsoft down the road of putting their big first party games onto PS Now on day one. Their response to Gamepass seems to be focused on adding value to PS Plus which makes sense as they have so many subscribers there already. Maybe it'll be the case that PS Plus subscribers can stream games they own through a version of PS Now at 4K while non plus subscribers are limited to 1080, if you want access to the full PS Now library then buy that subscription. Pisses on Google and Amazons cheerios as well which is just as important going forward. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@bear It will almost certainly mirror Game Pass in that respect in that buying something doesn't give you an option to stream it through another service - so no, you won't be able to stream FIFA via PS Now if you have purchased a copy. I would look to GeForce Now as an illustration of where the ability to stream games you already bought has been stamped-down on by a lot of publishers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The difference with Geforce Now and the last-gen consoles is that I'm assuming all the game license/ownsership stuff was written before streaming became a focus for these companies so it wasn't explicitly covered. For the PS5 I was curious if Sony were using their clout and telling publishers that if they wanted to release games on PS5 then that also covers PS now streaming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perhaps, but I'd be surprised if they have all that much clout over the big publishers anyway, and I certainly don't think they can afford to play chicken with the likes of EA/Activision or even Ubisoft in case they said "No" - Sony without games would be, well, MS currently ;).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.