Playstation Preparing A Game Pass Style Offering?

Robo_1

Head of SIE, Jim Ryan, recently sat down with Russian news outlet TASS for an in-depth interview which covered the launch of the PS5 and some of their plans for the future.

It's a good interview which is well worth your time as Jim is asked about MS's purchase of Bethesda along with the challenges they've faced launching a new console in the middle of a pandemic, but perhaps the biggest eyebrow raiser was this bit:

How will you respond to Microsoft’s Game Pass?

There is actually news to come, but just not today. We have PlayStation Now which is our subscription service, and that is available in a number of markets.

https://tass.com/economy/1225233

People in the sort of position Jim Ryan are in, don't tend to just casually drop information like that unless there's clear plans in motion.

So what do people think about this? I'll personally always favour ownership over subscription (as my heaving closet of CD's can attest to, haha) but it's clear the industry is leaning in this direction and in spite of early claims to the contrary, it always seemed inevitable that Sony would have to respond to Game Pass more directly than they have done thus far with Playstation Now.

So what do we think will happen? Play Pass? A whole new service or a relaunch of Playstation Now?

I still struggle to see how a yearly sub will offset the income they get from people dropping €70 a pop on new releases. Even new IP like Ghost of Tsushima has just passed the 5m sales mark, are they really prepared to gamble with that income for a regular €10 per month?

Of course it's very likely that they just feel that their hand is being forced or that they've crunched some numbers and they think the regular direct income from a sub will be more lucrative in the long run.

Whatever the cause, what are your thoughts on a Play Pass / Game Pass match up? For those who currently sub to Game Pass, would you subscribe to both, switch or ignore a Sony offering (assuming they're comparable services) and what do you think the implications are for the industry in the long run?

If we’re talking a Netflix type thing where you can only play what is available on it, and only for as long as it is on it, I’m not interested.

I have already had nightmares with digital content being taken away (most recently TF: Devastation getting delisted) and that was content that could actually be *purchased*, so putting myself in the position of losing access to games I love voluntarily? No thanks. I want to own my games.

I’m not one of those people who buys games every month, tries out a little bit and moves on though. Actually I only bought one new release in 2020. Most of the game time I have is spent getting 100% on things I already own, or trying for high scores/records so I don’t feel any great need to have access to a huge library of titles.

I reckon a relaunch of Now would do well. Since you can download a lot of the games instead of streaming it’s basically the same as Games Pass.

While I don’t think they’ll do an MS style, all first party games free on day one, deal, we might see Sony games going up permanently a year after release. 

Was going to say, apart from not having First Party games up on day one I dont really see a difference with the services currently? More than likely a rename or something.

I suppose they could launch a PC version, good way to capture a new audience etc.

Either way I dont see them investing as heavily as MS have with buying whole Publishers. Its also clear that MS intend to buy more Third Parties to further bolster Gamepass in the short term and turn out content on a weekly/monthly basis for it in the longer term (like Netflix). Are Sony really going to follow this model?

14 minutes ago, Darwock said:

If we’re talking a Netflix type thing where you can only play what is available on it, and only for as long as it is on it, I’m not interested.

I have already had nightmares with digital content being taken away (most recently TF: Devastation getting delisted) and that was content that could actually be *purchased*, so putting myself in the position of losing access to games I love voluntarily? No thanks. I want to own my games.

I’m not one of those people who buys games every month, tries out a little bit and moves on though. Actually I only bought one new release in 2020. Most of the game time I have is spent getting 100% on things I already own, or trying for high scores/records so I don’t feel any great need to have access to a huge library of titles.

I don’t really understand takes like this. It’s not like gamepass has removed the ability to buy games to own on Xbox. 

I think it’s safe to say this isn’t aimed at you. 

10 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Was going to say, apart from not having First Party games up on day one I dont really see a difference with the services currently? More than likely a rename or something.

They don’t tend to launch large numbers of indie games, either day one or after six months on PS Now. They do launch one most months on PS Plus though.

It’d be interesting to see if Sony would pay EA for EA Play.

17 minutes ago, Madness said:

I reckon a relaunch of Now would do well. Since you can download a lot of the games instead of streaming it’s basically the same as Games Pass.

While I don’t think they’ll do an MS style, all first party games free on day one, deal, we might see Sony games going up permanently a year after release. 

Yep, their marketing of Now is poor, as it’s actually a really good service. I had no idea you could download the games Game Pass-style until I tried it out. They should make a Plus/Now bundle available.

19 minutes ago, Chooch said:

I don’t really understand takes like this. It’s not like gamepass has removed the ability to buy games to own on Xbox. 

I think it’s safe to say this isn’t aimed at you. 

Basically I would be watching money drain out of my account every month for little benefit, as I prefer to make the most of what I have already. I don’t believe Gamepass is a free service - how many people subscribe to it and then also buy the games they want to play outright? Isn’t that a waste of money one way or the other?

I don’t subscribe to Netflix or Spotify either, if that helps you understand.

Anyway the question in the first post was “what do people make of this”, and as I am a person I think I can safely say the question was indeed aimed at me as much as anyone else.

15 minutes ago, Chooch said:

It's the strategic model it represents, think about Netflix, how many tv shows it commissions and cancels after 2 seasons because they no longer want that outlay, they want to maxmise consumers onto their platform with these new shows then once you're in Fuck You! Think about how the film content is very much limited to Western mainstream fare, try finding decent World Cinema on Netflix, (in fact even decent American indie fare is not greatly represented on that platform), think about the effect this has on the industry at large, if the vast majority of people just have a Netflix sub then there is less money for anything not on there (think spotify too and the effect that has on smaller independent artists).

The goal is to corral you into the ecosystem, it means over the long term less choice, less risk, less daring innovation as they corner the market and destroy all the competitors. It's basically a monopoly in digital form and anyone who has some knowledge of the Hollwood film industry and the actions taken to stop the monopolosing of the industry should be wary of these subscription models.

For me I feel like people are way too eager to buy these gamepass subs without thought of what it means for the longterm future. It seems people only think in the short term and quantity/value over quality/diversity. Let's face it MS are going hard on gamepass because they haven't exactly been dominating the gaming space with games and innovation, it's a strategy that is a landgrab, get as much of the content as you can and offer it at what seems like an amazing bargain to the consumer. The Uber model if you like. Nothing is free, think about why they are pursuing this strategy, it's not because they want to share their profit and power with the consumer, they aren't alturisitic benefactors, it's because they want more of the pie, and when they have that then what? Total control? Market dominance?

It's not that gamepass in itself is bad, it's more why it exists and what it MIGHT mean for the longterm future of the gaming market that people should be wary.

It needs tweaking, I was looking at subbing to PS Now but then I noticed Days Gone currently only has another 45 days on the service, after only recently going on it, so that’s a bit shit, but otherwise a relaunch extending the time first party games stay on and combining PS Plus with it into a Game Pass Ultimate style offering. 

I think if they keep a section of games permanently on the service like this initial PS5 line up you get, that would be strong. 

I can see it a bit like Gamepass being Netflix in terms of quantity and PS now more like Disney+ with stronger premium content.  Neither bears much direct scrutiny though as they are completely different mediums. 

All Sony really need to do is:

• Merge PSNow and PSPlus in to one subscription (You already need to continue to be subscribed to PSPlus to play the games)
  • Start adding first party games to the service. Doesn't have to be day 1, just at some point. The key is permanently, not for a month or two.
  • Re-launch and re-brand. Too many people think PSNow is streaming only.

The PSNow service itself is actually pretty good and does have the benefit of a massive, seemingly permanent back catalogue of games to stream. It is also good value. The biggest problem is the quality and quantity of newer games, which can be easily fixed by using Sony's older first party library, which is much, much stronger than Microsoft's (in most people's opinions and critics opinions).

Horizon: Zero Dawn is a really good example of game that just amazes me that isn't on PSNow as a permanent addition.

Let's all just hope that Sony steps up and that then prompts Nintendo to also step up. They could charge £20+ a month for a similar service.

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

It needs tweaking, I was looking at subbing to PS Now but then I noticed Days Gone currently only has another 45 days on the service, after only recently going on it, so that’s a bit shit, but otherwise a relaunch extending the time first party games stay on and combining PS Plus with it into a Game Pass Ultimate style offering. 

I think if they keep a section of games permanently on the service like this initial PS5 line up you get, that would be strong. 

I can see it a bit like Gamepass being Netflix in terms of quantity and PS now more like Disney+ with stronger premium content.  Neither bears much direct scrutiny though as they are completely different mediums. 

Sony has the potential to become more Disney+ than Netflix but this will require them to actually add their most valuable ip to PSNow, whish they currently aren't doing.

1 minute ago, BeeJay said:

Sony has the potential to become more Disney+ than Netflix but this will require them to actually add their most valuable ip to PSNow, whish they currently aren't doing.

They are doing it they just wait longer to put them on and then they disappear after a month or so - unlike Disney+ where content seems to remain permanently once up. They’ve had Spider-Man, for example, and currently have Days Gone. 

Sony have already started something like this, with the announced PS Plus Collection for PS5. You get access to these available immediately if you have a sub:

Bloodborne

Days Gone

Detroit: Become Human

God of War

Infamous Second Son

Ratchet and Clank 

The Last Guardian

The Last of Us Remastered

Until Dawn

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

Batman: Arkham Knight

Battlefield 1

Call of Duty: Black Ops III – Zombies Chronicles Edition

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

Fallout 4

Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition

Monster Hunter: World

Mortal Kombat X

Persona 5

Resident Evil 7 biohazard

Honestly that's a really solid line up of PS4 games ready to go if you happened to skip that console. Ideally it will be continually expanded upon.

I dunno, I personally find that Gamepass has opened up other avenues in gaming for me. Games like Supraland, Hypnospace Outlaw, Gato Roboto, Eastshade, Deliver us the Moon I have thoroughly enjoyed through GP. Some I have enjoyed so much I have purchased out of respect for the Developer.

Basically, a lot of these Indie games would not be getting the wider appreciation if it wasn't for platforms like Gamepass. I think its a great place for Indie Dev's to show their wares and to widen gamers eyes to a broader field of games and experiences. 

Not everything has to be open world 60+ hour AAA with the best graphics, I am generally finding that they are the more shallow "Hollywood" experiences as I get older.

32 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Basically I would be watching money drain out of my account every month for little benefit, as I prefer to make the most of what I have already. I don’t believe Gamepass is a free service - how many people subscribe to it and then also buy the games they want to play outright? Isn’t that a waste of money one way or the other?

I don’t subscribe to Netflix or Spotify either, if that helps you understand.

Anyway the question in the first post was “what do people make of this”, and as I am a person I think I can safely say the question was indeed aimed at me as much as anyone else.

I assume you also don’t subscribe to PS Plus.

It’s a tad different at the moment because most of us are subscribed using money we’d otherwise have spent on Xbox Live, and/or on a couple of Xbox games over the next year. So it’s just £80 of spending brought forward two years, at most: and often not even that (I saved the cost of my subscription for three years in the first six months on MS first party games I didn’t end up buying at launch, but otherwise would have done).

In another couple of years time, it may be a more interesting choice to make. The value proposition will really depend on how many other competing services appear and get traction.

But sure, I also buy games. I even buy games on Switch and PlayStation!

The two “lots of games, particularly first party and first launch indie + the live you were going to buy anyway” subscription and purchasing games are not incompatible.

4 minutes ago, Cheyenne said:

Sony have already started something like this, with the announced PS Plus Collection for PS5. You get access to these available immediately if you have a sub:

Bloodborne

Days Gone

Detroit: Become Human

God of War

Infamous Second Son

Ratchet and Clank 

The Last Guardian

The Last of Us Remastered

Until Dawn

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

Batman: Arkham Knight

Battlefield 1

Call of Duty: Black Ops III – Zombies Chronicles Edition

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

Fallout 4

Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition

Monster Hunter: World

Mortal Kombat X

Persona 5

Resident Evil 7 biohazard

Honestly that's a really solid line up of PS4 games ready to go if you happened to skip that console. Ideally it will be continually expanded upon.

I suspect this, formalised for first party after twelve months or eighteen months (gotta get those platinum sales), with PS Plus is where it ends up. You get to argue the quality of the back catalogue and the reduced cost wrt. games pass.

3 minutes ago, footle said:

I do, begrudgingly, because I have to for online play. And I always add the monthly games to my account - but never once played any of them.

Edit - actually I started on both Sonic Mania and Bloodborne, but can’t find motivation to play them over games I actually own...

Just now, Hitcher said:

That's funny I thought they had no interest in making something similar.

They already do it with PS Now, just not very well marketed - but Sony have being doing value added subscription content since the introduction of the Instant Games Collection back in the PS3 days. 

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

They are doing it they just wait longer to put them on and then they disappear after a month or so - unlike Disney+ where content seems to remain permanently once up. They’ve had Spider-Man, for example, and currently have Days Gone. 

I respectfully dissagree. Some first party games have never appeared and also having them dissappear after a month or 2 is not good enough to compete with game pass.

4 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I do, begrudgingly, because I have to for online play. And I always add the monthly games to my account - but never once played any of them.

Edit - actually I started on both Sonic Mania and Bloodborne, but can’t find motivation to play them over games I actually own...

I don't want to sound disrespectful, but inevitably I will...Keep it up and they'll make a documentary about you in 20 years.

Just now, Darwock said:

What on earth does that mean?

The concept of ownership of a video game changing your willingness to play a game. Ownership of a game will be a thing of the past very soon, if it isn't gone already with the SX and PS5. Ownership of games on PC hasn't been a thing in years apart from a small number of DRM free, single player, un-patched games. If you continue to restrict what you play based on your concept of ownership, you won't be playing many new games in the next 20 years.

8 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

I respectfully dissagree. Some first party games have never appeared and also having them dissappear after a month or 2 is not good enough to compete with game pass.

Yeah sure, and I agree with you - in its current state it’s a bit lacklustre and middling compared with Gamepass’ all first party day one content, my point was that they do add them, it’s just sporadic and follows no real set plan to speak of. I think that the instant PS Plus collection for PS5 is closer to something I can see them expanding upon in the future though - but I can’t ever imagine them adding their premium first party titles such as Spider-Man, Last of Us etc. day one like MS do, not whilst they sell like they do anyway. 

3 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

The concept of ownership of a video game changing your willingness to play a game.

Interesting reading of what I said.

I buy the games I want to play. If I wanted to play Bloodborne or Sonic Mania that badly I would have bought them long before they got added to PSN Plus, I’m not new to video games.

I’m not motivated to play them because I would rather play the games I wanted.

15 minutes ago, footle said:

But Plus is absolutely necessary for things like online multiplayer. It’s like, I receive free PC indie games from Twitch Prime every month but only because I’m subscribed to Amazon Prime and receive the benefits from that.

From what I understand, the only benefit of Game Pass is the games available through the subscription. And PS Plus isn’t Game Pass, it’s Xbox Live Gold. Anyway, I wouldn’t subscribe to a service where the only benefit is free games, because to me it’s a bit of a lottery... but I can’t blame people for seeing the appeal.

EDIT: yay for my old man late responses :blah:

Just now, Stanley said:

Yeah sure, and I agree with you - in its current state it’s a bit lacklustre and middling compared with Gamepass’ all first party day one content, my point was that they do add them, it’s just sporadic and follows no real set plan to speak of. I think that the instant PS Plus collection for PS5 is closer to something I can see them expanding upon in the future though - but I can’t ever imagine them adding their premium first titles such as Spider-Man, Last of Us etc. day one like MS do, not whilst they sell like they do anyway. 

No, I can't see them doing a blanket appraoch to day 1 on their subscription service. However, they need a day1+x style approach which is guaranteed and also to drop some games day 1. The PS5 astro boy game was effectively a day 1 drop for all PS5 owners, just under the guise of a launch freebie rather than as part of an on-going subscription commitment.

4 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

The concept of ownership of a video game changing your willingness to play a game. Ownership of a game will be a thing of the past very soon, if it isn't gone already with the SX and PS5. Ownership of games on PC hasn't been a thing in years apart from a small number of DRM free, single player, un-patched games. If you continue to restrict what you play based on your concept of ownership, you won't be playing many new games in the next 20 years.

You can still own something digitally - the difference with these subs is that you don’t own any of them, you essentially rent them for as long as you keep paying the subscription, or until it’s taken off the service - it’s a big difference. 

1 minute ago, BeeJay said:

No, I can't see them doing a blanket appraoch to day 1 on their subscription service. However, they need a day1+x style approach which is guaranteed and also to drop some games day 1. The PS5 astro boy game was effectively a day 1 drop for all PS5 owners, just under the guise of a launch freebie rather than as part of an on-going subscription commitment.

Yeah and of course they’ve had success in the past with titles such as Rocket League and Fall Guys being day one on their service.