Playstation 5 hardware impressions

I think this pad is a literal game changer. It’s a good pad, obviously, it feels better than the DS4 and is luxurious as fuck, but the haptics and triggers are incredible. The speaker, which was so hard to use for anything in the DS4, makes all my counters and backstabs in Demon’s Souls extra chunky. Love it.

2 hours ago, Spacehost said:

I’ve got one with a fan that audibly whirs, and you can hear across the room. Obviously I’m not going to even try returning it to Amazon right now, but it’s a bit of a disappointment.

Talk to them on chat.  they'll likely knock some money off if you're happy to keep it rather than return it.

1 minute ago, rafaqat said:

Talk to them on chat.  they'll likely knock some money off if you're happy to keep it rather than return it.

Not a bad idea, but I don’t want them to activate the “return console” protocols and I wind up spending the weekend fighting off Hermes drivers.

Well, it's just a bit special, it's huge, it looks nice from some angles, odd from others, but it's so quiet, downloads are lightning fast finally (350meg broadband finally has a use), the pad is just premium as fuck, from the second I took it out of the box it just felt so good.

The UI is clunky but funky, it's brilliant on a 55" OLED not so good on a 1080p monitor, I played Black Ops and thought 'shit these analog sticks feel awful' then realised my TV was on HDR Standard mode not HDR Game mode, score 1 point for Series X, it automatically switched my TV to Game mode, i took that for granted, considering Sony are a TV manufacturer in the main these days, you'd think they would get that right.

I'm shocked at how cool it is to touch, even the air being exhausted out the back isn't very warm, it's been on since about 3pm, downloading, playing a variety of games, Fortnite has raytracing on PS5 but it doesn't on Series X, that was a surprise, Miami on Black Ops Cold war is almost as good an example of raytracing as Spider-man, it looks just like it does on a PC with a 2080 Ti.

This gen will be incredible once these machines (PS5 and Series X) hit their stride fully.

Played an entire evening and everything went swell. No crashes, no issues. 

I downloaded Days Gone though and noticed some white pixels flashing on the screen when it was black (like during loading screens). That was pretty much the only thing I noticed.

I said this in the main thread but coming from someone who has a RTX 3080 based PC - the PS5 and in particular Demon's Souls has been incredibly impressive.

For context the PS5 is a 36 CU RNDA2 based chipset. The 6800XT is a 72 CU RDNA2 based chipset and is on par with the 3080 for traditional rendering. So double the compute units and while things don't scale perfectly - it is a tonne more power than the PS5.

And yet - the PS5 is easily punching above its weight both in terms of visual quality and framerate stability with something like Demon's Souls - the raytracing in the Spiderman games is incredibly impressive too. From a pure tech perspective - Sony is really squeezing some incredible power out of this thing. Incredibly impressive. 

6 hours ago, Spacehost said:

I’ve got one with a fan that audibly whirs, and you can hear across the room. Obviously I’m not going to even try returning it to Amazon right now, but it’s a bit of a disappointment.

Same here. It isn't massively noisy, but compared to the Series X it's a little annoying. Thankfully not too bad once the TV volume is up, or wearing headphones, but it seems to be at a frequency made to be noticed by my ears. I guess it may bed in overtime as the bearings loosen up a little?

Also had it freeze up while shutting down into rest mode. Had to hold the power button to reset it. Then get the screen telling me off for not shutting it down properly :/ 

I was actually super annoyed that they don't include a usb-c cable for the controller. I don't actually have anything that uses USB-C so had to go ask around the neighbours to borrow one. 

The pad its nice, still prefer offset sticks though. But as someone with left hand problems, those triggers are going to get old real fast and I can see me turning them off as the resistance is too much for my weak ass fingers. 

Just now, SteveH said:

Same here. It isn't massively noisy, but compared to the Series X it's a little annoying. Thankfully not too bad once the TV volume is up, or wearing headphones, but it seems to be at a frequency made to be noticed by my ears. I guess it may bed in overtime as the bearings loosen up a little?

Also had it freeze up while shutting down into rest mode. Had to hold the power button to reset it. Then get the screen telling me off for not shutting it down properly :/ 

I was actually super annoyed that they don't include a usb-c cable for the controller. I don't actually have anything that uses USB-C so had to go ask around the neighbours to borrow one. 

The pad its nice, still prefer offset sticks though. But as someone with left hand problems, those triggers are going to get old real fast and I can see me turning them off as the resistance is too much for my weak ass fingers. 

They do include a USB C cable - it is a little hidden away but it is there.

3 minutes ago, Uzi said:

They do include a USB C cable - it is a little hidden away but it is there.

!!! I need to go look again. I did think I had emptied the box completely! :blush:

edit: oh man.....I'd opened it on the bed and I have a thick throw over rolled up on one side of it and the lead had found its way under there when I was opening the box and putting the stand on I assume! Cheers!

I've turned off vibration because it was making my hands uncomfortable, and I think the shorter-travel buttons feel more third-party than my DS4's. Maybe they'll bed in. I also have a grinding sound on my left trigger when fully pressed with vibration on weak.

Huuuge, ugly console, but relatively quiet when it isn't spinning a disc, and apart from its horrible UI it seems really impressive. A 25% size reduction with straighter sides'd make a big difference, and I think its stand's the worst I've ever used in horizontal. I actually banged mine inserting its power cable, not realising it had to be held steady by hand first!

My Series S feels like a more expensive product in just about every way.

I've spent £450 to dislike its pad and stinkeye its wobbling flaps, you're right. I only wish they'd had the balls to charge me the full £600 so I could moan even harder.

I don't think I've ever bought a console revision, but this might be the first time I would.

It’s an absolutely horrible looking thing. Luckily it’s tucked away behind the TV so is totally invisible and will save me money not buying official black plates. 
It’s like some other horrible white goods appliance, ie a washer or a dryer; essential but not something to display in the living room, or more relevant; an old Virgin router who has been munching on steroids. The packaging also was so obviously cheap with Sony trying to scrape back the cents. 

Still when it’s actually working - I love it. Demon’s Souls looks and sounds divine and combined with the controller definitely feels  more of a next gen experience than the Series X. Looking forward to see what the Sony studios can do.

It's fucking huge! Makes the XsX look small sitting next to it. But I really don't care about the looks, it's sitting in a tv unit with an XsX and an Atari 2600 among other things, inside a man cave. It does stand out tho! 

But after all the reports of it being silent, uhm it's definitely not. Mine isn't, at least. Not sure if it's supposed to be like this or I should send it back. It's a rattling noise, like a fan, audible over the sound of the games. And it's only when a game is running, stops immediately when I quit to the dash.

A reddit user posted this:

Like that but definitely louder than in that clip. 

How is everyone else's PS5? Rattle or no? Should I send it back or is this perfectly normal.

The console, especially the games, is awesome otherwise. It's a bit disappointing as I thought it was supposed to be relatively silent. And I really don't want to unless absolutely necessary - there's no stock anyway and I want to enjoy the games.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It's fucking huge! Makes the XsX look small sitting next to it. But I really don't care about the looks, it's sitting in a tv unit with an XsX and an Atari 2600 among other things, inside a man cave. It does stand out tho! 

But after all the reports of it being silent, uhm it's definitely not. Mine isn't, at least. Not sure if it's supposed to be like this or I should send it back. It's a rattling noise, like a fan, audible over the sound of the games. And it's only when a game is running, stops immediately when I quit to the dash.

A reddit user posted this:

Like that but definitely louder than in that clip. 

How is everyone else's PS5? Rattle or no? Should I send it back or is this perfectly normal.

The console, especially the games, is awesome otherwise. It's a bit disappointing as I thought it was supposed to be relatively silent. And I really don't want to unless absolutely necessary - there's no stock anyway and I want to enjoy the games.

Mine is very similar to that, some noise on the dashboard but kicks in a lot louder when you start a game. Depending on the sound of the game, sometimes is audible over it.

The problem is, compared to the Series X there is definitely more noise from the console.

I'm just keeping a check on Amazon. If/when they get stock, I may try and do an exchange to see if another console will run a bit quieter.

15 minutes ago, unleashedmaniac said:

Mine is very similar to that, some noise on the dashboard but kicks in a lot louder when you start a game. Depending on the sound of the game, sometimes is audible over it.

The problem is, compared to the Series X there is definitely more noise from the console.

I'm just keeping a check on Amazon. If/when they get stock, I may try and do an exchange to see if another console will run a bit quieter.

Yeah, I've been using the XsX for a week and that one is completely silent - I was under the impression that the PS5 was supposed to be similar, hence me worrying whether I received a faulty one. Not helped by the delivery guy dropping the PS5 box from knee height on the floor instead of putting it on the floor normally.

I grabbed the video from this thread

And that reddit poster said:

"EDIT:

I've had the chance to personally check out other systems and they all make the sound. It does vary in volume slightly from one console to another, but every one of them had it.

I've also had multiple people reach out to me from this post confirming they have the sound as well. Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond!"

So I wanted to know how everyone else's console is. @Cyhwuhx?

9 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yeah, I've been using the XsX for a week and that one is completely silent - I was under the impression that the PS5 was supposed to be similar, hence me worrying whether I received a faulty one. Not helped by the delivery guy dropping the PS5 box from knee height on the floor instead of putting it on the floor normally.

"EDIT:

I've had the chance to personally check out other systems and they all make the sound. It does vary in volume slightly from one console to another, but every one of them had it.

I've also had multiple people reach out to me from this post confirming they have the sound as well. Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond!"

Yeah I saw that on Reddit. I'm in the same boat as you, was more worried that I'd got a faulty unit.

It doesn't help that my entertainment unit is only about 6 foot away. Also the fact that once I've tuned into the noise, it's difficult to not hear it!

The PS4 ran like a jet, so I could accept that but this is just audible at times which is probably actually more annoying! :lol:

16 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

"EDIT:

Is it coil white? I.e does it get louder when you're playing a game?

I spent 6 hours yesterday looking at the PS5 with shifty eyes thinking any second it’s going to slide off it’s stand and the absolute unit is going to fly through the telly.

Read the instructions and realised there’s a screw for the base.....Don’t be too cool for instructions.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

"EDIT:

Just to chime in. Yeah I did hear the fans with the sound turned off at 01:30 in the night. And if I play a game right now I do hear the fans when I focus on it, but it's more of a whisper and hard to notice.

I'm fascinated by the look of it. It's not just massive. It's properly weird. And in a funny way I find it kind of lovable, even if it's objectively ugly. The pad is phenomenal. It feels great in the hand and crucially new, even if it can be seen as a development of HD rumble and the like. The triggers are brilliant and it feels like a really coherent collection of tricks that really work together in Astrobot. I also think the OS and startup is wonderful and again conveys that sense of a step up from the previous generation. I understand why a lot of people enjoyed the care that went into the Series X|S packaging, but for me the 'unboxing' excitement comes from the first time you turn the actual thing on and the PS5 makes a great first impression, especially with Astrobot bundled in. I LOVE a bundled game with a new console. It feels generous but also a statement of intent about what's different. And when the game is of this quality, the impression is amplified. Installing Miles Morales was a bit worrying because it sounded like a jet engine, but in operation I've found it incredibly quiet. I had one crash in MM too, but otherwise it feels stable and lightning fast. I'm really, really taken with it so far.

1 hour ago, CovisGod said:

Read the instructions and realised there’s a screw for the base.....Don’t be too cool for instructions.

It still disappoints that the only manual you get these days is with the machine.

I miss software instructions and fold out maps!!