Playstation 5 hardware impressions

I don't have either of the next-gen consoles, but I've enjoyed reading through people's hardware impressions of the Xbox Series in @Fusty Gusset's thread, separate from the main XSS/XSX topic. I've decided, therefore, to steal this idea entirely and make the same thread for the PS5. Hopefully Fusty doesn't mind :)

So, is it really that big? And how does it look when laid on its side? Looking at my TV unit, if I did get one then this is probably how I'd have to have it.

1 minute ago, Jamie John said:

So, is it really that big? And how does it look when laid on its side? Looking at my TV unit, if I did get one then this is probably how I'd have to have it.

It is that big.  The first word that came to mind when looking at it under my TV is “hulking”.  It hulks.

1 minute ago, bobontheway said:

Yeah, it's massive. Thankfully it's white so now that it is hidden partially behind my TV it almost goes unnoticed thanks to our white-ish walls.

Hmm. I was going to wait for a black version to come out because all my other stuff is black, but I hadn't considered the blending-into-the-wall benefit of the whiteness if it's behind the telly.

Got a pic?

Quite like the look on its side. Couldn't fit it anywhere stood up though. Also I don't find it as hideous looking in person compared to pics. 

I am thoroughly impressed with this console. Load are so fast. Visuals are stunning though I've only played Valhalla. 

Coming from a mainly PC background I am finding the menu system very busy and unintuitive but overall I'm very pleased with it. 

For me though it is purely a single player games console, won't be using any of its media applications or likely ever be playing it online as that's what my PC is for. 16058183953242326825521566242077.thumb.jpg.b9234dca5abe229ff083185d4f8c5ce9.jpg

2 minutes ago, bobontheway said:

F17EF90C-9DEF-4051-B570-857D944E4CAF.jpeg

You could so easily take out one of those drawers and slide in a Series X. Nobody would ever know!

Sorry about that, back to PS5 chat.

I did ask in the other thread, but how’s the DualSense? As good as the reviews were making out?

Here’s mine, hulking away under the telly.  My wife has just passed judgement - “it looks like a fucking printer”.

All I know is it’s given me several glorious hours already today.  This gen is going to be bonkers ^_^.

1A89AE30-F314-44BC-8EA6-59F6C828099D.thumb.jpeg.cf6c06a8a6a06503c440cf8e0207987e.jpeg

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

I did ask in the other thread, but how’s the DualSense? As good as the reviews were making out?

I've only played Astro's Playroom so far and that is literally using the haptics of the DualSense every single time it can which I imagine won't games will do because nobody really wants that buuuuuuut it's really quite impressive. It also feels very premium. I'll reserve proper judgement until I've tried Demon's Souls though.

9 minutes ago, denisb said:

It’s massive and it looks rubbish on it’s side I’m going to stand mine up again and try to hide it .

if not I’ll be selling it 

I can't get it yet. 

There is no way of hiding the fucking thing. I'm already in the dog house almost every sodding day with items arriving at my house. 

I shout: "important bits for my PC", and when they go in the box, no-one will ever know what the hell they are.

I've got no such excuses available with the frankly bizarre looking white and black piece of awkward plastic staring at everyone.

At least with a Series X, there's a chance I can blag it as some sort of external hard drive for my PC, but the PS5?

No fucking way.

However, all this is moot - I'm not going to be enough sniffing around one until next with the stock situation the way it is, and by then Brexit will probably mean that all my money will have to go on fuel for the fire.

Digital Edition impressions:

Looks smart vertical, looks daft horizontal. Doesn't actually bother me in the flesh.

Haptics and triggers are the most sophisticated I've ever felt from a controller. Across Demon’s, Astrobot and Miles Morales, I've been impressed and surprised. A little bit distracting, but because it's really good.

UI is both very slick and beautiful, and awkward and unintuitive. Pressing the PS button is a bit fiddly compared to the DS4. 4K and large icons are beautiful, though.

Mine is very quiet and while I'm not bothered about loading times really, it's notable that I didn't even pick up my phone for about two hours. 

Overall, hardware is great. 

Load times are phenomenal. Jumping straight to specific levels in Astrobot is mad. The controller is feels so premium in comparison to the DS4 it's daft and the haptics are insane. They will take some getting used to, I've had some moments where I thought they weren't working but I hadn't pushed past the resistance point.

UI is familiar enough to feel comfortable but different enough to be awkward. Can't help but feel they should have pushed more change here. We'll see.

Games library is much improved. PS store is much improved.

Download speeds seem much much faster. I've grabbed Miles Morales, Demons Souls, Bugsnax, NMS and Minecraft (don't ask) since 6pm. It had downloaded the system update before I'd finished the initial setup on ethernet.

Properly impressed. 

Been playing Demons Souls all evening, console is very very quiet just a low hum, I love everything about this thing so far, even it's monsterious sie and weight. It's an exciting bit of kit that feels different enough from the previous generation but also familiar but slicker. It comes with a charming, well designed and smooth game installed that shows off the features of the new controller, it feels like a mid/high end pc, for £450 it's a steal. Well done Sony.

The Console:

It’s huge, it’s ugly, it makes my TV unit completely unbalanced due to its bulk, but the unforgivable thing for me is the stand in horizontal mode.

I put it in the TV unit and wanted to move it 2 inches to the right, you can’t really touch the stand so have to just push the console, it came off the stand, utterly useless, except that you can’t lay the stupid shaped console on it’s side otherwise. Crazy.

Mine is quiet, loading times are quick, did I mention it’s crazy big?

The pad:

So I have a series x as well. Let’s just say that next gen feeling arrived today. I’ve only played Astro so far, and it’s clear from the off that it’s been made to show off the pad. The little speaker tap tapping away as you walk, with matching haptics, that feeling of snow crushing together, those triggers as you pull the 1 armed bandit, it’s amazing. It’s not perfect, some things feel somehow too synthetic, but when it gets it right, wow!

The dashboard:

It looks pretty, it’s fast, it’s too like the PS4 and too different at the same time. It’s what I imagine it would feel like someone rearranged your kitchen cupboards. You know the room but you can’t bloody find anything except the feelings of despair and pointlessness...

Disc version is massive and monstrously ugly. But it’s so very quiet I can forgive the ugliness. Black plates soon please Sony.

The Dualsense is superb. Hefty, solid, nice sticks and buttons, comfy triggers and sits well in the hands. The haptics are genuinely excellent. The ice skating in Astrobot is truly next gen.