Wot no AstroBot thread?

37 minutes ago, Pixelated Ben said:

What a truly wonderful game, and an unexpected treat. Is this the most "Nintendo" that PlayStation has ever been?

I was going to say the same thing. Not just in terms of it being an inventive, lovely little treat that basically serves as a tech demo for all the new controller features, which is in itself pure Nintendo, but the celebration of PlayStation history. It evoked a similar feeling I get to playing something like Smash Bros in terms of being a celebration of a company's legacy. I don't think I've ever really felt that way about a piece of Sony software before.

Well, this is splendid. I've just finished it with some bits to mop up at some point. It's a fantastic introduction to the controller with so many lovely touches and easter eggs and so much nostalgia. I really should play Rescue Mission at some point. 

And, well - this happened earlier, because of course it did:

zFF3voH.jpg

So I guess I'm not quite done yet...

@joffocakes @Uncle Mike - you're both within spitting distance of the director / producer - GET HIM!

3y0C1xb.jpg

Absolutely superb game and an amazing freebie, probably gonna end up as one of my favourite games of the year. The controller haptics are amazing at times, particularly the raindrops and spring coils.

Pretty delighted that the speedrun courses are unique, rather than just timed attempts at the existing stages. I'll likely keep returning to them as it's so, so fast to dip into and they're all under 1 minute per run.

That there's a system-level alerts when a friend beats your time, with an option to jump straight to that challenge, is something that could be great this gen if used well.

I've barely touched Demon's Souls. Astro's Playroom is too good.

10 hours ago, Zero9X said:

Bloody loved this and it’s a nice quick and easy platinum to boot!

If people enjoyed this, is Sackboy worth getting to follow up on?

I'm not enjoying Sackboy anywhere near as much as Astrobot so far. Finding it really slow and pedestrian after about 5 levels. Hopefully it picks up a bit but from what I'm seeing I'm very doubtful it'll come close to being the same kind of giddy sugar rush. Feels a bit Kirby's Epic Yarn/Yoshi's Woolly World - nice looking but boring.

6 minutes ago, Majora said:

I'm not enjoying Sackboy anywhere near as much as Astrobot so far. Finding it really slow and pedestrian after about 5 levels. Hopefully it picks up a bit but from what I'm seeing I'm very doubtful it'll come close to being the same kind of giddy sugar rush. Feels a bit Kirby's Epic Yarn/Yoshi's Woolly World - nice looking but boring.

I’m playing Sackboy with my gf who has never really gamed - it’s her first 3D platformer and it’s enjoyable for that! But if I were playing by myself I think i would be a bit bored. It does look lovely though. 

Absolutely loved everything about this... all the collectibles done then I entered the competitive world of the time trials. Those 'Reclaim The Lead' notifications are genius! Had a bit of a to and fro on scores with @Jonster and @Majora. If anyone else here is playing and doesn't already have me on their friends list, please add me!

That bloody storm level though... 5 on my friends list with times and we're all within a couple of seconds of each other. 

Awesome launch title, just brilliant. 

Fully intended to make a proper start on Demon's Souls this morning but instead went back to Astro and made sure I was top of the Friends leaderboards haha.

That you can start the game right at the time trials in mere seconds, skipping the title screen, is an amazing feature.

1 hour ago, joffocakes said:

Fully intended to make a proper start on Demon's Souls this morning but instead went back to Astro and made sure I was top of the Friends leaderboards haha.

That you can start the game right at the time trials in mere seconds, skipping the title screen, is an amazing feature.

This is the dilemma I'm facing.

I haven't posted in here previously because I've been too busy playing Astro's Playroom :D 

What a fabulous fabulous game, wonderful nostalgia and Astro is just such an adorable little dude (not played an Astro game before).

I completed the speed runs in the early hours and now have the platinum trophy to kick. What a lovely way to kick off the next generation. Bravo Asobi Team! :sealclap:

15 hours ago, Madness said:

I’m playing Sackboy with my gf who has never really gamed - it’s her first 3D platformer and it’s enjoyable for that! But if I were playing by myself I think i would be a bit bored. It does look lovely though. 

Sorry to derail but I played another couple of hours of Sackboy today and it does pick up quite a lot to be fair. Does seem like it's the type of game that would be more fun in co-op but it eventually starts to be moderately challenging and is a lot more inventive than I was expecting. Doesn't compare to Astrobot but not sure a lot else does at the moment. Could definitely do worse if you're hankering after another colourful platformer in between goes on Demon's Souls or Spiderman.

I chose this as my first PS5 game to try last night at around 11pm with the intention of playing two worlds and leaving the rest for tonight. I went to bed at gone 5am, having finished the lot and collected all puzzle pieces, artefacts and gacha prizes. I haven't done something like that since I was a student.

Just a superb game with incredible attention to detail and clear love for the history of PlayStation that means so much to many of us. I spent so much time seeking out the game references and working out the ones that weren't immediately obivous to me.

As others have said, it's a perfect introduction to the potential of the controller. And while I'm sure it'll be a good while until something else makes as good a use of it than this game does, it bodes well for the future. I would have happily paid good money for this, so to get it as a pack-in is superb. I'll be getting the Platinum and having a good go at the speed run levels for sure, so will add anyone in here to my friend list that I don't already have.

Just “finished” it. Amazing little game. Asobi are such an inventive studio. Hats off to them for creating this little masterpiece. That last level is the best fan service I’ve seen in ages, and the credits are brilliant. 

Now to go back in and collect everything and try out those speedruns...

I absolutely loved this, one of the great things about it that it really is a proper game with a reasonable challenge while also being a showcase - I died way more times than I have in Demons Souls so far. 

Absolutely ludicrous that Sony now have a studio that can produce Mario-standard platformers to go with their cinematic action mainstays.

That MGS reference with THAT sound effect when you hit the box. :D

Asobi have created two fantastic games in a row and the description for the Plat teases a return of the little fella. I do think Sony is gearing up for a PSVR2 reveal somewhere next year.

I had a unique feeling while playing this game. It made me feel like I was 10 again, except with 26 years worth of lived experiences and useless knowledge.

It felt like it was made specifically for me, which is odd considering I'm a Nintendo and Sega child at heart.

It made me feel like the food critic in Ratatouille.