PlayStation 5 stock alerts

1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Was driving home when Very dropped and making a sandwich when Shopto dropped...

Oh well. Anywhere else rumoured for today?

Just never go out or do anything at all. Attach a drip and keep refreshing. Simple.

54 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

Amazon are sending me a one-time password for my delivery on Friday that I need to give to the driver. Have they been doing this for the rest of you? They didn't for my Series X.

They didn’t for me but I believe they sometimes started doing it after a few got pinched.

1 hour ago, Andy_Why said:

Amazon are sending me a one-time password for my delivery on Friday that I need to give to the driver. Have they been doing this for the rest of you? They didn't for my Series X.

Pretty sure they did this for my Series X purchase in December.

1 hour ago, Andy_Why said:

Yes, I had to do this. The driver punches it into his gadget to prove he delivered it to the intended recipient. All felt rather clandestine, like I was buying state secrets from a double agent. 

17 hours ago, Andy_Why said:

Yeah, I got one emailed to me about 30 mins before delivery

It was impressive how fast very sold out.

I refreshed and it was in stock, added buy and it was gone. 

Literally sold out in seconds. Clearly bots bought them all up.

I know Argos got a lot of flack but their way of drip feeding by region randomly over a few hours was the best way.

22 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Amazing. The saga is over!

Nah, we get the fully voiced version next week on the pod, quite looking forward to it. Which reminds me, still have half of this weeks to go :)

A lot of stock gets added in the early hours of the morning. I wonder if this is a) an automated system we've just never had reason to notice before or b) something underhand, ensuring bots and scalpers are much more likely to get the consoles, leaving regular customers still wanting your stock and visiting your site. 

People say something should be done about bots/scalpers - and obviously something should be done - but looking at such measures coming from retailers is a bit naive. Amazon, John Lewis, Very etc. don't care if it's a regular person or scalper getting stock, as they get their £450 regardless. As I said, it's driving traffic to their sites still too. 

What probably needs to be done is a concerted effort from consumers to not buy from scalpers so there's no market for them to exploit, but people are always going to be willing to pay more. 

In an ideal world, the Sony and MS would get involved too. Surely there's enough demand for them to start selling more through their own stores? It cuts out the middle man too. They can also tie it to existing PSN/LIVE accounts to help protect against fake sellers or repeated buyers. You have to have registered with them prior and have at least one trophy/achievement point. 

Yeah, it's added hoops to jump through, but at least it's hoops with a carrot at the end of it. At the moment people are waking up to no hoops, and completely mixed metaphors like this. 

Is this the most botched console launch ever yet?

I know we have a pandemic butbi think the scalpers issue is being overstated. When the scalper group gleefully announced the had secured 2000 consoles that breaks down to 4 units for every Argos store in the country. Now sure , you would have had more chance of buying one from Argos if they have four more than they did. But 2000 is virtually zero in the overall scheme of things. If you're 18000 in the queue for Very, surely this means that, scalpers or not, there's absolutely fuck all stock, nearly 4 months after launch.  

12 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

If retailers are adding their stock in the early hours then it’ll be to stop their sites falling over during the day. They actually want people to be able to buy other stuff.

yeah that it I think that’s the reason. But what’s stopping retailer telling people what time they’re going live?

bots are good to go at any time so letting customers when consoles will drop will stop they refreshing throughout the day and those people who stay yo through the night every night.

Also, if they’d not made one, each digital console sale would have been a full priced £450

they’ve done that to themselves

which means digital games is where the profit is.

I don't know why they don't just run a lottery system. It's what most retailers are doing over here (a lot of physical stores are making you have a store card too, from what I gather). 

They are going to know when the next batch of stock is coming in, and how many consoles they are getting. Even if they advertised it at extremely late notice - like the day before - they'd get interest. Presumably (I'm not a web developer) someone entering their email will be less intensive on the site than the process of accessing a product, adding stuff to a basket and going to the checkout. The winners could get an automated link to the product when it went live, or a special unique pass code or whatever to get to the purchase screen. 

There'll still be kinks in this system - you'd need to stop people signing up with loads of email addresses and try and stick some sort of verification in at some point so it has to be a real person, but surely it stops people having to refresh sites constantly or stay up to ridiculous hours. 

Of course, the big problem is what I mentioned before - what's the benefit to the retailer for doing this? 

Though I generally dislike them, ShopTo have been making efforts to do better. They’ve been combing through their orders and yesterday’s stock was ~300 consoles that they had cancelled for being by scalpers/duplicates. They’ve also started putting messages on their queues saying “if you’re over number X in the queue, don’t bother.”

Unfortunately, when you get to the front of the queue, the site is broken and you get 404 errors, but I appreciate the effort.

I put a 1p pre-order in with Base.com back in January. They probably have pretty small allocations, but the other day people who pre-ordered in October were contacted to buy, so hopefully in the next couple of months, I should be able to get my second PS5.

57 minutes ago, Parksey said:

I don't know why they don't just run a lottery system.

Because that would involve work, which reduces their ROI.  Or so the retailers' perception informs them.

Similar to second hand game sales it'll be sorted out through manufacturers selling directly in the end, cutting out the middleman in the process. (This is already happening to an extent in the US with PS5, very likely coming to Europe soon going by some job listings PlayStation has posted.)

Retailers don't actually make £450 per console, would be interesting to know how much exactly, I'd guess than £100.

There is usually not a lot of profit in console sales, even loss by the manufacturers in some cases.

It's just about getting them in homes. The money is made on software sales and peripherals.

It's the scalpers making the most profit out of this, fuelled by the likes of CEX and people willing to pay crazy money.

31 minutes ago, Totoro said:

Retailers don't actually make £450 per console, would be interesting to know how much exactly, I'd guess than £100.

There is usually not a lot of profit in console sales, even loss by the manufacturers in some cases.

It's just about getting them in homes. The money is made on software sales and peripherals.

It's the scalpers making the most profit out of this, fuelled by the likes of CEX and people willing to pay crazy money.

I'd work on a 5% profit margin so maybe £22.50 per console sold.