PlayStation 5 stock alerts

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Where's best if I just want one before Christmas? My nephew really wants one now that he's had a go of mine.

I'd say that this forum is currently your best bet, there are still forumites who may end up with a spare. Make yourself known in the Wanted folder and any PS5 related threads.

If the next batch goes on sale in a couple of weeks and it's anything like Thursday was, you're at the mercy of pure F5 luck whilst being faced with scalpers using bots and websites that can't handle the strain.

I'm considering selling my perfectly disassembled and rebagged lego death star and getting a PS5 digital. Are the restocks favouring one model or the other at the moment? Also do we have any idea at all on the split between how many of each they are making? 349 is a v tempting price and the big lego box is just taking up room :D

I might have to wait til new year I realise!

45 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

The only numbers I've seen were the Japanese week one sales of PS5, where only 12% of PS5's sold in Japan were Digital Editions. I don't know if this speaks for the rest of the world, or if they decided there's little appetite in Japan for consoles that don't take physical media and sent fuck all there comparatively.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202011/18209693.html

Heard that there are actually less Digital only versions out in the wild due to Sony taking a bigger loss on them? Could be complete rubbish though as well surely they'd make the money up on digital sales of games... Who knows... I would have thought it less components in a system would make it less supply constrained than having something else (drive) inside the system.

Also I think Japan didn't get that many consoles and demand is there but no hardware. I think these days Sony seems to be more focused on other markets other than it's native one. 

That does make sense. If it's only a disc drive missing, it won't be costing Sony the difference in cost between the two consoles, so they will likely be making a bigger initial loss. In the long term they'll probably turn out to be more profitable, but Sony aren't exactly a company swimming in cash, so I guess they don't want to put all their eggs into the long term basket.

I think demand for the digital edition is generally lower so there is less stock being manufactured so relative demand should even itself out. Everything will disappear in an instant for the foreseeable future and in to the new year anyway though. So many people working from home now just able to hit refresh for hours straight soon as the multitude of stock alert apps and twitter accounts tell you to go somewhere.

The horrific prices these are going for on ebay show the demand it has across the board. 

Good luck though! :)

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Also I think Japan didn't get that many consoles and demand is there but no hardware. I think these days Sony seems to be more focused on other markets other than it's native one. 

It often feels that Japanese companies limit stock in their own market in the rush to capture market share elsewhere. The Switch was almost impossible to get hold of in Japan (retailers held lotteries for the stock they received) even when it was getting easier to find in the UK, for example.

I guess there is less incentive in Japan. Microsoft do terribly in the country whereas Sony and Nintendo stand to lose more market share in Europe and the US if they do not get their product into stores as quickly as possible.

24 minutes ago, BossSaru said:

It often feels that Japanese companies limit stock in their own market in the rush to capture market share elsewhere. The Switch was almost impossible to get hold of in Japan (retailers held lotteries for the stock they received) even when it was getting easier to find in the UK, for example.

I guess there is less incentive in Japan. Microsoft do terribly in the country whereas Sony and Nintendo stand to lose more market share in Europe and the US if they do not get their product into stores as quickly as possible.

https://egadget.pk/bloomberg-japanese-console-market-loses-importance-for-playstation-and-us-becomes-a-priority/

Seems PlayStation is predominantly a Western brand these days.. headquartered in California and the Japanese marketing team reporting into there. Arguably though I guess the PlayStation has always been a Westernised product from the get go with heavy influence from Western dev teams during its conception. 

Yep when a product is in demand you manufacture more of the expensive version in the early days, higher profit margin.

See also cars etc

I think F5-ing is now a waste of time, as I've been doing. I think Dec 15th is the alleged next delivery, but as that will be last chance saloon for sticking one under the Xmas tree, the demand will be insane. I want digital but expect about 3 available for all of UK :lol:

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Seems PlayStation is predominantly a Western brand these days.. headquartered in California and the Japanese marketing team reporting into there. Arguably though I guess the PlayStation has always been a Westernised product from the get go with heavy influence from Western dev teams during its conception. 

From the business side of things for sure, but from a cultural and mindset perspective it still is the main ambassador of Japanese style games. From my point of view, it is the main differentiator between PlayStation and Xbox brands, even more so than the stable of 1st party Western franchises that PlayStation owns. 

4 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

From the business side of things for sure, but from a cultural and mindset perspective it still is the main ambassador of Japanese style games. From my point of view, it is the main differentiator between PlayStation and Xbox brands, even more so than the stable of 1st party Western franchises that PlayStation owns. 

I just hate they way they censor things in Japanese games a fair bit now compared to say Nintendo and the Switch who do not seem to care these days.

2 hours ago, BossSaru said:

I wonder if exchange rates influence where Sony and Nintendo prioritise stock.

U.K. sales of Switch must bank Nintendo more per unit than at home. 

(He says, without any understanding of the vagaries of globalised business)

Well I tried on Thursday to no avail. Got to the point of having one in my basket on separate occasions with Currys, John Lewis and Amazon but all 3 failed when I tried to checkout. Just wasn’t happening for me. 
 With the way it clogged up the websites for all these retailers and more I do wonder if they’ll bother making announcements again until it’s died down a bit? That plus the strain on their customer services - if you read the hukd thread it was full of people harassing them and getting angry when they couldn’t promise them a PS5. 
 That Stock Informer thing was no good, I’d set up alerts and to be honest they were a bit slow off the mark. 
 CEX buying them for £600 cash just added fuel to the fire as it makes it so easy and lucrative to scalp them. 
I’m just going to randomly keep checking for stock. I’ll post in here if I get lucky

FYI If you filter through his nonsense, this may be a decent resource to get notifications up on.

https://twitter.com/mythcollects?s=21

He runs an account for trainers which is usually on the ball (I’d C&p the affiliate links though, can’t trust retailers not rejecting sales going through an intermediary they have to give a cut to  - same with something like hotdeals.uk or stock informer)

My PS5 order from Currys which has been "Shipped" for the last four days now says "In Progress" so it's going backwards.

I only found out because I checked, I've had no emails or updates or anything from them, and looking online it appears to be a random lucky dip if you get any information at all, let alone a console that they took the money for 30 seconds after I ordered it on Thursday.

I don't expect them to have enough PS5s to get everything out on the day but there's been zero communication since launch day. Thousands of customers with no idea what's going on and absolutely zilch in terms of updates.

How are they going to cope on Black Friday when they're selling tens of thousands of all sorts of products?

If it wasn't for the fact that PS5s are like rocking horse shit I'd tell them to stick it. Chances are I won't have to as I bet they end up cancelling it.

What a shower of shite. At this rate I'll have a charger but no console.

When did you order yours? I ordered at 3am and on Friday it seemed people after me were being told there order had been dispatched. Where as mine moved between order received, order confirmed, and in progress but never dispatched until Saturday night when it did update and I was sent a dpd email too. Those that said dispatch before mine in fact haven’t had their shipped yet because they ordered later. So I wouldn’t believe what the order page says as it just seems random and doesn’t follow any logic anyways as it bounces around between statuses.

Either way currys are a mess and a simple tweet would save them tonnes of man hours in everyone asking with their ps5 order is.

I ordered from currys too about 0720. Despite my order status randomly changing throughout they did send an email on Thursday afternoon saying I should have it by the 15th December. If it happens to turn up before then I'll be pleased.

@cubik did you get the same mail or was yours supposed to be dispatched sooner? 

1 minute ago, Jamie John said:

I've seen a couple of articles now saying that Sony have said launch stock has entirely sold out. They'll get some more in for Christmas, though, surely?

Retailers were putting up stock which is due around 17th or 19th Dec, so I think they’ve already sold all the pre-Xmas stock. 

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Retailers were putting up stock which is due around 17th or 19th Dec, so I think they’ve already sold all the pre-Xmas stock. 

Oh.

Is this normal for a console launch? This is the first one where I've actually taken notice - when the PS4 and XB1 came out I was still happy enough with my 360 and didn't get my PS4 until 2 or 3 years after it launched. I can't remember there being stock shortages when they, or the Switch, first came out, but I could be wrong.

Either way, I'd have thought both Sony and MS would have made more for this initial launch period, especially pre-Christmas. I've not been keeping up with it at all, but no doubt the pandemic has affected everything, I suppose.

14 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Oh.

Is this normal for a console launch? This is the first one where I've actually taken notice - when the PS4 and XB1 came out I was still happy enough with my 360 and didn't get my PS4 until 2 or 3 years after it launched. I can't remember there being stock shortages when they, or the Switch, first came out, but I could be wrong.

Either way, I'd have thought both Sony and MS would have made more for this initial launch period, especially pre-Christmas. I've not been keeping up with it at all, but no doubt the pandemic has affected everything, I suppose.

there’s always shortages with big console launches but yeah the supply chain has been hit hard by the pandemic - and there’s seemingly a lot of people who have money saved up from months of lockdown wanting to buy a bit of escapism. Even if Sony had made twice the consoles they did I reckon we’d still be looking at a sellout. 

2 hours ago, cubik said:

My PS5 order from Currys which has been "Shipped" for the last four days now says "In Progress" so it's going backwards.

I only found out because I checked, I've had no emails or updates or anything from them, and looking online it appears to be a random lucky dip if you get any information at all, let alone a console that they took the money for 30 seconds after I ordered it on Thursday.

I don't expect them to have enough PS5s to get everything out on the day but there's been zero communication since launch day. Thousands of customers with no idea what's going on and absolutely zilch in terms of updates.

How are they going to cope on Black Friday when they're selling tens of thousands of all sorts of products?

If it wasn't for the fact that PS5s are like rocking horse shit I'd tell them to stick it. Chances are I won't have to as I bet they end up cancelling it.

What a shower of shite. At this rate I'll have a charger but no console.

Mine (from Currys) did the same and then overnight after a couple of days I got a shipped email. I reckon they are just having issues sorting through the volume of orders 

• squirtle pinned and unpinned this topic