PlayStation 5 stock alerts

Pob

Shopto are saying that if you're above 2,000 in the queue you should back out as they don't have enough stock to cover more than that.

That's interesting because if a website as relatively small as Shopto is getting a drop of around 2,000 consoles at once you'd imagine some other retailers will be getting substantially more. Heard GAME may have gotten 10,000 yesterday but no idea how accurate that is.

After wasting far too much time on this allready this week, it's a far nicer place to be, sat on the sidelines watching the chaos unfold.

Like that scene in Bottom where they watch the Hammersmith riots from their living room window, not the best analogy as Edward Hitler had scalped a years supply of Malibu.....

I do wonder at what levels you have to be producing these to satisfy demand, because whatever it is it clearly isn't enough.

As I've mentioned before, you never used to be able to get away with this as people would have just gone and bought whatever else was available, but now that's not really an option as you can't buy that either. I'm sure someone at Sega is wathing and going 'lol'

2 hours ago, marsh said:

I do wonder at what levels you have to be producing these to satisfy demand, because whatever it is it clearly isn't enough.

As I've mentioned before, you never used to be able to get away with this as people would have just gone and bought whatever else was available, but now that's not really an option as you can't buy that either. I'm sure someone at Sega is wathing and going 'lol'

Well just the pandemic I expect and people wanting new toys.

Glad I managed to get a new console but if I had an existing console already I probably wouldn't have bothered. Not sure what the huge lure of the new ones are. Its not as if they have any killer system selling games on them or anything. Especially the Xbox. Guess PS5 has Astrobot and Demons Souls but the former is a fairly short experience and the latter I'd say an enthusiasts gamers game. Probably most of this is FOMO. When in reality you aren't actually missing out on much.

Anyhow be interesting to see how long this level of demand continues I expect it will tail of at some point at least the crypto miners haven't figured out a way of using them yet! :) Getting hold of any new tech seems to be a nightmare these days.

Anyway I've just found a Xbox 360 E with a pile of some of my favourite games (which aren't BC) for £50. Picking that up on Monday and I'm actually quite excited about it :D At least nobody wants them anymore it seems! Speaking of which though the second hand market for PS4/Xbox Ones seems to be a bit crazy at the moment too. Seen quite a few ads wanting £200 for a system (PS4). So perhaps people just want toys in general to play with in the pandemic so there is generally a shortage. Note this is just my somewhat limited observations.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Well just the pandemic I expect and people wanting new toys.

Glad I managed to get a new console but if I had an existing console already I probably wouldn't have bothered. Not sure what the huge lure of the new ones are. Its not as if they have any killer system selling games on them or anything. Especially the Xbox. Guess PS5 has Astrobot and Demons Souls but the former is a fairly short experience and the latter I'd say an enthusiasts gamers game. Probably most of this is FOMO. When in reality you aren't actually missing out on much.

Anyhow be interesting to see how long this level of demand continues I expect it will tail of at some point at least the crypto miners haven't figured out a way of using them yet! :) Getting hold of any new tech seems to be a nightmare these days.

Anyway I've just found a Xbox 360 E with a pile of some of my favourite games (which aren't BC) for £50. Picking that up on Monday and I'm actually quite excited about it :D At least nobody wants them anymore it seems! Speaking of which though the second hand market for PS4/Xbox Ones seems to be a bit crazy at the moment too. Seen quite a few ads wanting £200 for a system (PS4). So perhaps people just want toys in general to play with in the pandemic so there is generally a shortage. Note this is just my somewhat limited observations.

Perhaps a good time to re-scratch that dreamcast itch...?

I’m presuming that if these tens of thousands of consoles were going to high street retail we might have a better chance of getting one. No bots.

I’m imagining scalpers with warehouses full of all the PS5’s they’ve hoovered up online.

23 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

I’m presuming that is these cops of tens of thousands of consoles were going to high street retail we might have a better chance of getting one. No bots.

I’m imagining scalpers with warehouses full of all the PS5’s they’ve hoovered up online.

Maybe, they're probably yet to work out how they can send a drone to a retail site to do their dirty work for them. With them all being shut the wise route to market is via the internet. I did read a comment online from a scalper comparing his work to that of Tesco's buying milk, they're a special kind of cunt that don't even understand basic economics.

17 hours ago, MattyP said:

I feel like this, during the launch I was definitely feeling the FOMO but now I’m not really arsed, whilst I’d definitely enjoy Demon’s I’ve already played it to death on PS3, and whilst I enjoyed Spider-Man I’d kind of already had my fill of the first game on PS4, and I could always play Miles Morales on my PS4 too if I really wanted. So I really see no compelling reasons to buy any new console right now, so it’s surprising how in demand they are. 

37 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I feel like this, during the launch I was definitely feeling the FOMO but now I’m not really arsed, whilst I’d definitely enjoy Demon’s I’ve already played it to death on PS3, and whilst I enjoyed Spider-Man I’d kind of already had my fill of the first game on PS4, and I could always play Miles Morales on my PS4 too if I really wanted. So I really see no compelling reasons to buy any new console right now, so it’s surprising how in demand they are. 

you see the same thing with new mobile phones and they’re way more expensive.

I’m properly happy with my Series X. I’m not playing anything mind blowing on it in terms of getting that ‘next gen’ gaming fix but the improved loading times and how well everything runs makes the upgrade totally worth it considering how much I love gaming.

Just now, elmo said:

I’m properly happy with my Series X. I’m not playing anything mind blowing on it in terms of getting that ‘next gen’ gaming fix but the improved loading times and how well everything runs makes the upgrade totally worth it considering how much I love gaming.

It’s a good point, often I’ll upgrade my phone for no real reason, but when I get the new one I always like it or there’s always something better about it. No doubt this will happen with PS5 too, I think being in such short supply puts me off too, prevents that kind of purchase when you just get it in your head you want one, and buy one, but with PS5 you need to be really committed to get one. 

20 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It’s a good point, often I’ll upgrade my phone for no real reason, but when I get the new one I always like it or there’s always something better about it. No doubt this will happen with PS5 too, I think being in such short supply puts me off too, prevents that kind of purchase when you just get it in your head you want one, and buy one, but with PS5 you need to be really committed to get one. 

yeah it’s crazy. You literally have to follow all the rumours and be prepared to buy one throughout the day just to have a chance of getting one. I’ve read tweets about people staying up 40hrs at a time just in case Argos to their usual 2am drop or whatever.

At this point I’d like one for sure but I’m not doing that. It’s nuts.

27 minutes ago, elmo said:

I get much, much more use out of my Series S, thanks to Game Pass, than I do my PS5, and would be fine with just the S.

I saw you on that Twitch stream telling people that the Series X is a good console, but the crowd in a lot of these places seems very Metro Gaming - PS5 is literally the only console worth owning, sort of thing, so I can see why for a certain crowd, PS5 is the only next gen experience you're remotely interested in and you end up with people doing weird things.

Yeah, the S is usually sold out because they built less as they right assumed there would be more demand for the X.

We cant really begrudge the retailers or the manufacturers tbh as they have supplied more than there last launches, it’s just the thirst is real.

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Are Series S hard to get too? I quite fancy one of those as I love the form factor. 

Series S isn’t too bad. If you set up a stock alert you’ll have a good while to check out. When I bought mine, back in December, I had the time to convert my Reward points and check out. There seemed to be stock for a good hour or so. 

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Series S isn’t too bad. If you set up a stock alert you’ll have a good while to check out. When I bought mine, back in December, I had the time to convert my Reward points and check out. There seemed to be stock for a good hour or so. 

Thanks that’s good know :)

I wonder when people's anger will start focusing more on retailers. I know supply is tight and that bots are an issue but it seems like too many retailers are perfectly happy with the current situation where there's a massive pile on every time they put stock online. I've had an account for years with Smyths for instance and I've probably spent thousands in that time but it didn't mean a thing when it came to ordering a Series X or a PS5. They know when people signed up for notifications and that doesn't matter a damn either. 

I want a ps5 but not enough to bother with the current rigmarole. I'm happy to wait until stock is plentiful enough that you can just buy one. How long is this likely to take? By summer? By Christmas? 

One thing I will never do is buy off a scalper prick. Even if there was a scalper left with loads of stock when demand had dropped off and was selling them off at less than RRP. Still wouldn't.

11 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I get much, much more use out of my Series S, thanks to Game Pass, than I do my PS5, and would be fine with just the S.

I saw you on that Twitch stream telling people that the Series X is a good console, but the crowd in a lot of these places seems very Metro Gaming - PS5 is literally the only console worth owning, sort of thing, so I can see why for a certain crowd, PS5 is the only next gen experience you're remotely interested in and you end up with people doing weird things.

Yeah It's funny, you see people in there chatting about how shit the xbox is and I just think... why? To me it feels like they're not even competing anymore yet some people still want to rage a console war.

Saying that I'm in a twitch chat for a PS5 stock alert stream defending the Xbox. Who's the idiot?

52 minutes ago, elmo said:

Yeah It's funny, you see people in there chatting about how shit the xbox is and I just think... why? To me it feels like they're not even competing anymore yet some people still want to rage a console war.

Saying that I'm in a twitch chat for a PS5 stock alert stream defending the Xbox. Who's the idiot?

If you’re spending dozens of hours of your life trying to buy a product then you’re damn well gonna convince yourself that it’s the best thing ever and everything else is a waste of time I guess. It just fuels the fire.