Prodeus - PC FPS - on Game Pass now!

Parappa

Yeah, I've played it for a bit and it is indeed fantastic.

Very Doom/Quake, very high speed, trad FPS with buckets and buckets of gore and, of course, a metal soundtrack. Solid weapons, and enemies, corridors, and red skies that are very familiar (in a good way).

Its very, very fluid, the weapons feel great, it doesn't mess about with any needless complexities or anything like a plot and it makes me smile in a way that Doom 2016 did but Eternal didn't and, sometimes, that's all I want from a game.

Its not original but it nails the style better than anyone else has done in years - there's even an option for sprite enemies but I swapped them to 3D models as sprites were a little too messy for me. Maps can be a little confusing as you rush around at 100mph but I've not gotten lost yet and there's a level editor so I fully expect to see Doom, Quake, etc maps remade in the engine before long.

1 hour ago, Parappa said:

Sounds great -  not had chance to give it a go yet but its gone to the top of the wishlist.  Is there a decent campaign? I got the feeling from the trailer it was multiplayer focused but perhaps not.

I'm only playing the campaign for now as I fear the MP is so fast I would not survive long. I think there are 4 or 5 hours worth of campaign maps so far with more to be added during the time in early access.

• 2 months later...

Anyone playing this? 

I caught a few videos a few months back and thought it looked right up my street. A definite buy. Only to quickly find out it's an early access title. Now I know that doesn't mean much, a lot of games in EA are reported to be fantastic and in an almost finished state, but I'm a bit weird, someone who bought the likes of Dirt 5 and Cyberpunk on day one only to stop playing after a very short while and wait for patches. Patch crazy me, always hoping for the optimal experience. So early access games frighten me.

Stumbled across another more recent video on YouTube and I just couldn't put it off any longer. The game looked incredible. So off to GOG I went, to purchase my first early access game.

Boy am I glad I did. It's fucking awesome. Proper visceral spectacle. I have no idea how far away this is until final release but if you told me the version I'm playing was a patched up final I'd believe it. It looks and runs brilliantly. And the game itself, oh my. Anyone who is a fan of the old Duke Nukem and Doom games will love this. It's like a Build engine game brought bang into the 2020s technology wise. It looks sensational cranked up.

One meaty and fun game. Recommended, EA and all.

• 4 months later...

Been playing this on Game Pass.  This game is fantastic.  It's very Doom.  As in original DOS Doom.  As in just about legally distinct Doom.

It feels fantastic to play.  All the weapons are good, even the fists are hilarious when you realise you just hold both mouse buttons and go to pound town.  The shotgun is delicious, all the guns that take bullet ammo are good (although I don't know why the shredders are there, pistol will do for range for now and the next gun up does what they do but better).  Rocket are great, being able to manually explode is a nice touch.

The level design seems on point as well.  Only done a few levels, but there is a lot of working towards a point, game teasing where you have to go first.  The part where you get that next gun up I mentioned earlier, and it shoves you into a small section that just coats the walls red with blood is magnificent.  It doesn't seem too hard so far, but I'm good with feeling like a monster.

I enjoyed this when I played it before it came out on GP but ultimately refunded it. I'm not sure what was "missing" to be honest but it could have been because it was literally right after I'd completed Doom Eternal and somehow going back to a more old school game felt more limiting or lacking ambition I guess. Might have to try it again now though it's "free".

Just played the level where you get the plasma launcher with the homing beacon shots. Proper 5th Element nonsense going on. Tagging enemies and then firing at them around corners, over the top of crates etc. One of the best videogame weapons I've seen in a long time. All the weapons in this feel amazing. I hope there's an equivalent to Doom 2's super shotgun at some point.

EDIT:

Spoiler

Yep. Quad barrel shotgun.

I like that it’s uncomplicated and streamlined. Shoot, get key, shoot. I think Doom and Doom Eternal really went over board with collectibles, runes and goodness knows what else.

This feels like the original Doom just much faster and a lot more bloodier.

I finished the early access campaign yesterday. Loads of empty weapon slots left, so either I didn't find some secrets or there's lots more planned for the final release. It was pure joy from start to finish. Some really clever tricks with the sprites like locational damage, (I swear I saw some arms come off...). Just a bit frustrated there isn't more of it at the moment. The combat doesn't measure up to Doom 2016 (not played Eternal yet), but the level design splits the difference between 90s Doom where the are mostly already in the level that you run in to as you go around and 2016s very heavy focus on arenas with enemies spawning in. A great 90s throwback shooter but one built with present day game design nouse.

I think Doom 2016 is the better game, but I do love Prodeus. The graphics are brilliant, in their pixelated retro style, the music is excellent and the gameplay is smooth as butter. For me it’s the best indie “boomer shooter” I’ve played. 

The map design really is stellar.  It's not reinventing the wheel, but little touches like coming back onto yourself, or the one with the snipers.  Hell, I liked the one level that was just a large arena, a boatload of railgun ammo and a lot of dudes that needed shooting.

It's one of the few FPS where all the guns are good.  Even near the end of the early access, I was using the pistol to take out some enemies at mid range.  I was puzzled at getting the grenade launcher after the rocket launcher - until I realised the grenades are for when something needs to die immediately and the rockets are better for long range clearance.  Always tended to use one on the big flying mortar things.

The base shotgun is tremendous, workhorse for most of the campaign.  The charge shot never gets old.  The...other...weapon that uses shotgun shells I am not so sure about.  I didn't like the long reload.  I mean everything else was delicious, but that reload is oof.  I think I should be using it to murder something, switch away, then switch back to reload when I have a minute.

Maybe the bullet weapons need a bit of tweaking.  Seemed outclassed near the end of the campaign.  The shredders are amazing fun to use but the reload and lack of any accuracy isn't great.  Chaingun is fine, but one of the later guns just does everything that does, but better.

I get the feeling some of the unrealised guns are gonna be absolutely bonkers.  Maybe it can shake the Doom shackles off and just go nuts.  Same with the monsters.  They are all very Doom-y aside from the snipers.  That isn't a bad thing, game wears what it does well.  Blue shit is always terrifying, and some of the fights are just pure chaos.

It's probably the best game I've played this year, certainly up there with Renaine and that was only a demo.

4 minutes ago, Moodmon said:

The map design really is stellar.  It's not reinventing the wheel, but little touches like coming back onto yourself, or the one with the snipers.  Hell, I liked the one level that was just a large arena, a boatload of railgun ammo and a lot of dudes that needed shooting.

Yeah, it really is. It feels like a collection of S-tier custom Doom WADs.

Great game, actually feel a bit guilty for getting it for 'free'.

The gun sounds are utterly ludicrous though. I get what they're going for, but I think they could turn the distortion down a bit!

• Uzi changed the title to Prodeus - PC FPS - on Game Pass now!

Just one level in and this is so so GOOD - the feeling of the gunplay is so on point and has that classic DOOM feel while playing more like Doom 2016

This is definitely quite gloriously grotty. There still seems to be something missing though, which I can't quite put my finger on. I think it's maybe because it struggles to really have its own identity amongst all the gibs.

Apart from the issue above, if I could make one single change to this game, it would be to remove the requirement to reload on the guns. Unfortunately, rather than adding depth to encounters it just seems to serve to break the flow of the blasting. Despite trying to ape classic Doom and FPS games etc that's one "modern" element it seems to include to its detriment. Even the recent Doom games wisely removed reloading to keep the action and flow constant.