Retro Gamer 213 (Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time)

Our latest issue is now out.

If you can't get it in shops please consider buying a subscription or making an online purchase from here. It really helps us.

https://www.magazinesdirect.com/az-single-issues/6937134/retro-gamer-magazine-single-issue.thtml

pop.png

CONTENTS

The Making Of Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time

The History Of Green Beret

The Making Of Parappa The Rapper

Arcade Heaven (Quarter Arcades feature)

Retro Revival: Realsports Boxing

Hardware Heaven: Gemini

The Evolution Of Gribbly's Day Out

Licence To Thrill: The Evil Dead

The Making Of: Grand Prix Simulator 2

Classic Moments: Psycho Pinball

Retro Revival: Ballz 3D

The Mystery Of St Brides

The Making Of: Pharaoh

Peripheral Vision: Doctor V64

DIY Gaming: The ROM-Hacking Scene

Retro Revival: Streets Of Rage 2

Whatever Happened To: Thrill Kill

The Making Of: Moon: Remix RPG

Future Classic: Outer Wilds

In The Chair: Reg Stevens

Retro Revival: G-Darius

Polymega Reviewed

Bit late there chap, I’m sure my subs copy came a couple of weeks back. 

it is a lovely issue however and everyone should Subscribe or go buy it in a COVID secure manner. 

(never did get my gift for subscribing though - bastards. Still I suppose such a quality magazine is a gift in itself). 

3 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Bit late there chap, I’m sure my subs copy came a couple of weeks back. 

it is a lovely issue however and everyone should Subscribe or go buy it in a COVID secure manner. 

(never did get my gift for subscribing though - bastards. Still I suppose such a quality magazine is a gift in itself). 

Yeah, we're entering the hell period for magazine creation so I've been super distracted. It's also the first issue under quarantine since earlier this year so I need to remind people they can get it.

Glad you've enjoyed it, it's the first issue to go back to 116 pages so we added a few personalised back end features, including My Retro Life and Hot Topic.

1 hour ago, Rex Grossman said:

I have a Readly sub and read RG via that. Is that a service that leads to direct revenue for you, @strider, or does it all go in one pot for Future?

The magazine doesn't benefit directly from  Readly, but it's better than no sub at all :)

15 hours ago, strider said:

Our latest issue is now out.

If you can't get it in shops please consider buying a subscription or making an online purchase from here. It really helps us.

https://www.magazinesdirect.com/az-single-issues/6937134/retro-gamer-magazine-single-issue.thtml

Their online service is a joke sadly.

But I have been buying your mag through ebay for the past three months. At twice the price, but wouldn't want to miss out. And want to keep the magazine afloat as well. With EDGE maybe going, retro gamer would remain the only print magazine that I buy.

This ^

Tried to order some back issues (pretty recent ones) on September 8th, still haven't received anything despite multiple complaints and an email from someone supposedly responsible, promising them "soon" (he didn't even know what I ordered even though I explained it and provided the order number). Fucking useless.

9 hours ago, gunrock said:

This ^

Tried to order some back issues (pretty recent ones) on September 8th, still haven't received anything despite multiple complaints and an email from someone supposedly responsible, promising them "soon" (he didn't even know what I ordered even though I explained it and provided the order number). Fucking useless.

I had the EXACT SAME THING [/trumpmode]. Three (!) issues (2 retro gamers and 1 EDGE) never arrived. I filed probably 6 complaints to 3 different e-mail addresses. They responded only to the first two, simply giving me another address to write to. In the end they didn't bother writing back to the last 4, even though I remained civil throughout. But they did refund my money eventually - without any notice either. Really awful service ever since they switched from myfavouritemagazines.co.uk to magazinesdirect.co.uk. Not helping the people writing the magazines one bit at a time when they really need it.

On 18/11/2020 at 00:40, Keyboard Koala said:

Their online service is a joke sadly.

But I have been buying your mag through ebay for the past three months. At twice the price, but wouldn't want to miss out. And want to keep the magazine afloat as well. With EDGE maybe going, retro gamer would remain the only print magazine that I buy.

Is there rumours of edge going? I haven't read it in years, but still a shame

On 21/11/2020 at 15:07, strider said:

Sorry to hear you are have problems.

It’s frustrating working so hard on something and then people can’t easily buy it. I assume you’ve reached out to help@magazinesdirect.co.uk?

Is it .com or .co.uk @strider?

I've been trying to get someone to answer my email since August, and tried a couple of different email addresses. The last one I sent was to help@magazinesdirect.com as that is the email address listed on the Retro Gamer Twitter account.

18 minutes ago, Butters said:

Is it .com or .co.uk @strider?

I've been trying to get someone to answer my email since August, and tried a couple of different email addresses. The last one I sent was to help@magazinesdirect.com as that is the email address listed on the Retro Gamer Twitter account.

Sorry it's magazinesdirect.com
My bad.

1 hour ago, phillv85 said:

Yup, can confirm my magazine looks like the postman has skateboarded here on it. Another one like this and I’m going to have to cancel my sub and just pick issues up in Tesco.

Obviously I don't want you to cancel your sub, but if you do then please make sure you let the subs department know it's due to how it's being delivered so that the relevant people get to hear about it. Hopefully this will be addressed, though.

9 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Mine came in a plastic wrapper and was fine. Don’t know what is happening with you guys. 

nm, must be issue 214. Mine not arrived yet. Will look forward to the scenes of destruction. 

Yeah, it's the new one there just wasn't a thread and I didn't want to start one on a downer :)

So in a plus, page 13 of 214 features someone from these pastures, Darran's been recruiting via rllmuk DM again maybe :)

The latest issue (Turrican cover) arrived today.

The envelope arrived in good condition, with the exception of a 10cm cut down the side. Many year ago I was told that dodgy postal workers do this when looking for cheques sent in the post, though it's probably nonsense.

Issue 214 arrived today in paper envelope. Mine was in perfect condition so I don’t know what the posties round your lots way are doing. 

we did have a brief moment when my 7 year old who reads it religiously (favourite game is Space Harrier 2) stumbled upon the Silent Hill article. 

oh well, didn’t want to sleep tonight anyway. 

• 1 month later...

Just in case anyone wondered, my single issue purchases that I made in mid-September, turned up eventually.... in mid-December and they weren't the issues I ordered, in fact, they were two of the same issue :mad:.

Sad to say, won't be buying the magazine again until I'm in the UK and can pick it up off the shelf. Sorry @strider, the mag is great but the distribution folks are pants.

10 minutes ago, gunrock said:

Just in case anyone wondered, my single issue purchases that I made in mid-September, turned up eventually.... in mid-December and they weren't the issues I ordered, in fact, they were two of the same issue :mad:.

Sad to say, won't be buying the magazine again until I'm in the UK and can pick it up off the shelf. Sorry @strider, the mag is great but the distribution folks are pants.

Please notify them and let them know. It's something we have no control over and if enough people complain about the service they are receiving something will hopefully be done about it.