Wong Kar Wai (World of WKW boxset coming soon)

Ha, yeah I'm very excited for the box set. His 90s run is about as good a decade as any director has ever had, I reckon. In the conversation with Ozu's 50s, Altman's 70s etc. anyway.

His style isn't quite there yet but I have a big soft spot for As Tears Go By as well.

I'm a huge fan, Happy Together is one of my favourite films of all time and I love Chungking Express, 2046, days of Being Wild and of course In the Mood for Love.

So it seems from this that the 7 film box set doesn't include 2046 which is a huge omission seeing as it seems to also have a 4k remaster:

https://www.filmlinc.org/daily/world-of-wong-kar-wai-a-career-retrospective-opening-november-25-in-the-flc-virtual-cinema/

Edit: Probably because Sony own the rights to 2046, hopefully I'll be able to get it separately.

I hoped this was coming from the news that the films were getting 4K restorations, and I'm alllll over it. I sold my Chungking Express Criterion bloo years ago like a doofus, replaced it with the Artificial Eye release, then sold that like a doofus. I'm completely in love with all of his films (though I admit I have to revisit the once-watched Blueberry Nights), and In the Mood for Love chips away at my top ten every time I put it down - which is about once a year. Shame it's not the whole filmography, and it appears the festival showing of Grandmaster is still the butchered Miramax version.

Apologies for the lack of concrete info, but I've read in a number of places this year that the theatrical releases would come first and be followed by a physical boxset. It seems to be an open secret at Criterion. Covid has delayed the theatrical releases so same with the boxset. 

It's great to have confirmation of the first and I'm sure that the boxset will be announced officially in due course. 

17 hours ago, Marlew said:

Chungking Express is very possibly my favourite film.

I saw it at the theatre when it was first out absolutely not knowing what it would be like.

It not only started a long love story with WWK in particular, but with far east cinema on the whole too. 

Oh, and a long passion for sunshine pop. 

• 3 weeks later...

It feels a bit strange without Ashes of Time, particularly given that movies connection with Chungking Express. The Grandmaster feels like it belongs in this too with its themes, I would have liked a longer directors cut of that.  It also sounds like WKW changed the look of some of these movies and parts of Happy Together were lost in a fire in 2019.  

I will probably still get this, but it would be easier to justify a purchase if the set was more complete and if Criterion to actual do 4K blu rays.

On 19/11/2020 at 14:42, Bazjam said:

Looks like WKW might be working on a follow up to Chunking Express. Really hope this goes ahead. I adore the original.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/chungking-express-sequel-written-wong-kar-wai-1234588877/

I’m a bit apprehensive about this given it’s not set in HK and will have to got through the censors.  I’ve lost a bit of faith in WKW being relevant with new movies given how things are now, but his 90s work really still speak of the mood at the time of the HK I remember growing up in.

I'm very apprehensive about the box set itself too, unfortunately. He's been tampering with stuff Ashes of Time/George Lucas style again.

By all means, treat your work of art as 'fluid' but at least give people the versions they know and love alongside them.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Sabreman said:

Just got this framed :)

Image 22-12-2020 at 19.57.jpeg

That’s really nice, where is that from, looks like France?  There are some In the Mood for Love posters that I really don’t like.  

I’ve still got this one up, one of my favourite movie poster of all time:

image.thumb.jpeg.4b17eae943a51ebfd18dbcd2e3ada152.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Just in case people didn’t know, the ICA and BFI are streaming the new remasters on their platforms now.

I think there is still a week left to watch all of them for free with an ICA membership.

https://www.ica.art/films/the-world-of-wong-kar-wai

Otherwise, it’s £8 a pop on bfi player.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/rentals/collection/the-world-of-wong-kar-wai

Also, apparently The Criterion set will come out in the UK in April, so no real need to import from US if you want to get it.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=18407170&postcount=18189

@Timbuktu It's a real shame that BFI Player isn't available through smart TVs or even through Prime. The BFI channel is on the there but the content is limited.

I appreciate the links and update, though, I'm obviously not moaning at you.

I'm happy enough to wait for the boxset now. 

23 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

Is there a 4K UHD set, or is it just a 4k restoration on a blu ray?

4K restoration BD on Criterion, but there's some chat that Nova Media (South Korea) have 4K UHD releases planned. 

• 1 month later...