New XBox, new to gaming online

Well not completely new, I played Team Fortress 2 every Thursday for months about 10 years ago but that was it.

I wanted to start a thread because with Gamepass Ultimate coming with XBox live it means I'm paying for online play anyway, and I've got access to loads of free online games, and I'd love to play them online. Not just single matches like Tetris Effect, but also dip into some of the free long-online games such as Sea of Thieves or Destiny. However, I have no idea about those, and don't want to join in a game online and feel like a third wheel, or that I'm holding everyone else back. Additionally, I'd love a massive rllmuk game of something at some point, to celebrate getting these new consoles. Given we've all got access to the same games on gamepass I thought we might be able to organise something.

So any suggestions are welcome! And if people want to post their gamertags I'll keep this original post updated.

Gamertags:

tarules

KilledSwine

dreamlildreams

Deeptone

Mortis316uk

MattKB

CypherQ

Boozy The Clown

CheekyLeeth

Mogster2k5

I love a bit of Destiny, but had to give it up as a lot of stuff was built for teams and was getting more and more complex.  I would though jump at the chance to start again and tackle some of this stuff with a group who maybe don't take it too seriously.  You know, for fun.  

Otherwise, I'm playing Forza Horizon 4, Borderlands 3 and Fortnite.  All good fun solo and in a team.  Feel free to add me, gamertag Deeptone. Add Rllmuk to the message so I know your not a random weirdo, just my kinda weirdo.

Although I did own Xbox one it was my secondary console and primarily used by the kids in latter times, so my friends list is a little bare. I suspect my Series S may see a little more use...

Always up for a spot of Destiny which I’ve returned to and well anything Wise on Gamepass for that matter

Gamertag dreamlildreams

I’ve only recently got into destiny 2 so always happy to join in an evening with other newbies :) wouldn’t mind trying a raid as well. 
 Also picked up borderlands 3 for pennies, Diablo 3 is a perennial fave as well. 

2 hours ago, therearerules said:

Well not completely new, I played Team Fortress 2 every Thursday for months about 10 years ago but that was it.

I wanted to start a thread because with Gamepass Ultimate coming with XBox live it means I'm paying for online play anyway, and I've got access to loads of free online games, and I'd love to play them online. Not just single matches like Tetris Effect, but also dip into some of the free long-online games such as Sea of Thieves or Destiny. However, I have no idea about those, and don't want to join in a game online and feel like a third wheel, or that I'm holding everyone else back.

Gamertags:

tarules

I felt like I’d hold people back and let the side down but then discovered that’s actually depending on the game there’s generally always someone the same as you or worse.  And not many people care. 

best times I’ve had is on Forza Horizon  with Boozy and a few other rllmukers.

We should organise a few races.  

Half the fun of playing online is chatting shite so make sure you have a headset and no one will care if you’re any good at the game to start with, stuff in Destiny outside the Raids can all be done solo generally so having an extra person is often a help regardless of the players ability or knowledge and then you can be helped in any case :)

Nice idea... It's just usually difficult to get together at day/time as everyone is so damn busy all the time! :) Lots of people have families and other commitments etc... suppose the easiest thing to do is arrange a night of the week and just keep that night every week as a routine and then everyone on here can drop in and out as they are available.. so pick a day and start time and keep it consistent! Even change the game every week....

I'm not great at online gaming these days as I don't get huge amounts of time to practice at stuff so mainly play for fun. So like arcadey type games - arcade racing or odd shooters (third person shooters like Gears over first person). However I'll have a crack at anything for fun. Not overly competitive either.... Horde is fun on Gears though more teamwork based.... 

Feel free to add me gamertag in signature! :)  Added you... although as a follower I think you have to follow back to be friends these days... it's been a while.... Not like the old days of Xbox Live where everything was so much easier... :blah:

Edit: This will be easier at the moment as lockdown is happening.... :D 

Go sailing. Sea of Thieves is the most welcoming online experience because it doesn't matter if you've played for 2 minutes or 2 years. Either way you have the same skillsets and abilities. Learning the ropes either through experimentation or being guided by others is largely what the game is about. Not knowing what you are doing is half the fun.

27 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Go sailing. Sea of Thieves is the most welcoming online experience because it doesn't matter if you've played for 2 minutes or 2 years. Either way you have the same skillsets and abilities. Learning the ropes either through experimentation or being guided by others is largely what the game is about. Not knowing what you are doing is half the fun.

I second this, although not necessarily with Sea of Thieves. Only because I've barely played it, though, not for anything to do with that game itself.

Jump in. There are plenty of halfwits playing online who will make you wonder how they even got so far as making a gamertag. If you have any intelligence at all, you'll be useful to your team.

9 hours ago, Simmy said:

Actually this is an interesting idea.

Perhaps we should set up a Game Pass Games Night or something?

I'd be well up for that. Low price of entry and we'd all have access to the same pool of games.

This is a good shout, the name has a bit of a ring to it too!

Feel free to add me to the list @therearerules. Gamertag is KilledSwine.

Thanks everyone. If you've got a gamertag in your sig I've put it in the first post. Seems like it's just a good idea to jump into some of these big online games and see what sticks.

14 hours ago, Simmy said:

Actually this is an interesting idea.

Perhaps we should set up a Game Pass Games Night or something?

I'd be well up for that. Low price of entry and we'd all have access to the same pool of games.

This is what I was thinking, especially during lockdown. Obviously we've all got various commitments/ other people who want the TV*, but it could just be a drop in/ drop out thing, either every week, or every other week. Don't know if people would prefer weekends or weekdays, but I imagine evenings (9-11) would be best for people.

*Although remote streaming works suprisingly well- not sure how well it would work with online play though.

18 hours ago, Haribokart said:

There is an online section of the forum for stuff like this > https://rllmukforum.com/index.php?/forum/17-online/

I know. But this is more a thread for lapsed/new online players who wouldn't think about going into that section.

I wouldn't mind joining in with some casual online play from time to time. I'm mainly a PC player but I play with a pad, and have Game Pass. :)

I've played Destiny 2 for years never to the point of getting to grips with all its systems, and I've never tried a raid. I also play Forza Horizon 4, which I'm rubbish at but it's great fun all the same. I guess it doesn't have cross play though, so I'd have to join in with my One X.

I very briefly tried Sea of Thieves when it came out, and think I'd love to play with a group of people that didn't take it too seriously. :D

Basically I've always loved the idea of playing online more than the reality, as I don't like feeling like I have to okay a certain game just to remain competitive, keep up with level requirements or whatever. Playing with like minded people every now and then would be amazing though.