Games that run better on the Xbox Series S|X (includes BC games as well as Series S|X optimisations)

10 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Bioshock (360 BC) - played through the intro, quite stunning and I was soon electrifying and headshotting "bloody spaicers".

Oooh been a while since I played through those and I think I owned physical discs as I can't find them on my library.

Is it best to get the 360 originals on BC or plump for the Remastered versions/the collection on Xbox ONe BC?

28 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Bioshock (360 BC) - 

Currently installing Bioshock Collection, heard it ran terrible on the One X so here's hoping it is better now on the SX. Haven't played these games since their respective releases.

Perusing my digital 360 purchases I noticed I had a copy of Dark Souls languishing unplayed, having never gotten beyond the first boss. Now, having discovered a real love for Bloodborne, I feel a renewed desire to play it - and logic dictates I spend some money on the remastered version!

Has anyone tried on SX? Does it benefit from any enhancements? Or if not, is the base version a sufficient enhancement over the 360 version to justify the £10 it’s currently available for on the MS store?

17 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Currently installing Bioshock Collection, heard it ran terrible on the One X so here's hoping it is better now on the SX. Haven't played these games since their respective releases.

The 360 BC version has an unlock frame-rate option which I’m sure will make the frame-rate wiz to 60 fps. 
Dont think the collection version has that option...

Is there a way to buy 360 stuff from the store? Can I peruse what’s available or do I have to just search through like a jumble sale? I couldn’t find an ‘old shit’ filter. Maybe I’m being thick. I wanted to just have a browse at what older games I could buy and run on my XSX. I don’t suppose all those Cave shmups will be available but maybe some other cool stuff I missed will be. 

39 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Is there a way to buy 360 stuff from the store? Can I peruse what’s available or do I have to just search through like a jumble sale? I couldn’t find an ‘old shit’ filter. Maybe I’m being thick. I wanted to just have a browse at what older games I could buy and run on my XSX. I don’t suppose all those Cave shmups will be available but maybe some other cool stuff I missed will be. 

When you go to the store, press left on the stick to bring up that side menu. Click on "Games Home" then scroll down and you'll see backwards compatible games, where all the 360 and OG games are listed together.

7 hours ago, Moz said:

Tried de Blob and Aragami last night, both look nice. 

Dead space 1-3, Gears 1-Judgement are locked 30 and look pretty rough. 

Surely a Gears remastered 4k 120fps HDR pack would be an easy win at the moment?

They already did a Gears 1 remaster. Never tried it, anyone know how that goes on SX? 

Tried Hydro Thunder Hurricane, it looks really low resolution now but that gives it that early 2000s arcade game feel so it isn't a bother at all. Loading is similarly arcade-fast, seems faster than the game engine can actually handle as there's a slight hitch before the race starts after loading. Auto HDR seems to work very nicely with that one. 

It’s been pointed out already but Monster Hunter World running at 60fps in high-resolution mode is pretty jaw-dropping. It’s not even had an update, that’s just the raw horsepower of the Series X being brought to bear. I played this loads on the PS4 and I’m tempted to just start it all over again on Xbox now. 

3 hours ago, spatular said:

only guwange is on the BC list. I haven't tried it on the new xbox yet.

Yeah I had that one from years ago. It’s not great to be honest. No option to adjust screen size so it looks a bit silly playing in a window on a 55” TV. Really shows up its shortcomings too. 

Mushi on the PC with the same TV was fine though. 

6 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Dark Souls remastered is on sale at the moment. Half tempted to pick it up again, does it benefit from the new hardware?

Nope. The game is fixed to 1800p on PS4 Pro and One X. It was already locked at 60fps which it will now comfortably hit at 100% of the time. 

Digital Foundry:

Let's kick off by re-confirming the basics we established in our network test coverage. The standard Xbox One and PlayStation 4 each target 1080p, while their enhanced counterparts both strive for the same experience at a higher 1800p pixel count. For perspective, that's a 2.7x increase over both regular machines - with temporal anti-aliasing smoothing off the image and allowing for a graceful upscale for ultra HD displays. And of course, most of the HUD and text elements are a true 4K too, which duly helps with the presentation.

On the surface, it's frustrating that Xbox One X delivers the same resolution as PS4 Pro, bearing in mind the big increases in GPU compute, memory bandwidth and available RAM. Potentially, a push to a native 4K would be in-step with that leap in power - as we've seen in games like Resident Evil 7 - but 1800p is where it's fixed. In theory, a dynamic resolution could have been a much better fit here, optimising the resolution of each frame based on whether 60fps is sustainable. As it stands though, there is a performance overhead on both machines - especially Xbox One X - that isn't tapped into at points, which is a shame.

On 11/11/2020 at 15:39, footle said:

Forza Horizon 5 isn’t going to come out before the announced Forza Motorsport.

Which itself won't likely come out till end of 2021 or perhaps 2022 even (given they have only show a teaser so far). So Horizon 5 is likely a 2023 title.

Just now, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Which itself won't likely come out till end of 2021 or perhaps 2022 even (given they have only show a teaser so far). So Horizon 5 is likely a 2023 title.

I would actually prefer a spiritual remake of Horizon 2, Blue Point/Demon Souls style. Still the best game in the franchise. 

Well, I bought Dark Souls Remastered before @MNFRMTMRRW posted and I can confirm that it really doesn’t look significantly better than the 360 version, which was already running at 60fps. PS5 Demon’s Souls this is not - not worth spending the money. 

Not bitter. :)

2 hours ago, Pockets said:

Yeah I had that one from years ago. It’s not great to be honest. No option to adjust screen size so it looks a bit silly playing in a window on a 55” TV. Really shows up its shortcomings too. 

Mushi on the PC with the same TV was fine though. 

guwange is awesome imo. But yeah it was a cheap Xbox live arcade port so guess it doesn’t have all the screen options of the full price releases like mushi etc.

11 hours ago, Popo said:

Well, I bought Dark Souls Remastered before @MNFRMTMRRW posted and I can confirm that it really doesn’t look significantly better than the 360 version, which was already running at 60fps. PS5 Demon’s Souls this is not - not worth spending the money. 

Not bitter. :)

I'm certain that the 360 version of Dark Souls runs at 30fps, and some of the later areas run poorly even on the One X so the Remaster will be better in those respects. I prefer the lighting and textures of the original, though. 

Switch 'Remastered' version is basically the original 360 version with a locked 30fps, so it's my favourite despite no 60fps. 

Castlevania: Lords of shadow looks pretty great on the series x and, as with everything else I’ve tried, loads in frighteningly quickly.

Which is great because I now don’t have to sit there and wait in anticipation of Patrick Stewart’s worst ever performance every time I load a level. At least he’s in fine company though as Robert Carlisle also delivers the nadir of his career. 

Gameplay is as janky as ever. Soundtrack is still utterly epic to the point where it makes me forgive everything. What a clusterfuck of a game it is. I love it. 

First serious let down - Binary Domain isn’t back compatible. :mad:

Next up 50 cent: Blood on the Sand.