Games that run better on the Xbox Series S|X (includes BC games as well as Series S|X optimisations)

Played a bit of Gears 5 multi last night  too. 120fps doesn't immediately feel like the jump that 30 to 60fps does (remember to select 120fps as an option on both your system AND the game) but it does make for a hyper vivid and smooth image.  I don't know if Gears had a variable resolution as well,  but as with Doom,  everything feels sharper. I guess the 120fps reduces the motion blur too. 

I'll have to try playing Gears at 60fps and see what that feels like as I hadn't played it in a while.  Perhaps the comparison will be more vivid that way. Especially if I do it when fully awake,  rather than at 2am on a Tuesday!

One effect of the X’s extra power that’s surprised me is that even games that previously ran at 60fps but with dynamic resolution now look better. I had a couple of rounds of Star Wars Battlefront 2 and it was exceptionally crisp. I’ve heard similar about Doom Eternal. 

Still yet to find anything that I’d consider actually improved by Auto HDR, though. There’s always something that’s too bright, or just plain wrong-looking. They’ve even applied it to the N64 games in Rare Replay and that’s just bizarre. 

Spent the first few hours downloading updates. Once I'd tried a few games and jumped between them using quick resume that was the most compelling amd positive aspect to the whole experience thus far.

Had the HDMI in the wrong input so

after a couple of hours extolling the wonder of auto HDR in Geo Wars 2 and Split Second I had to take it back and report to my party that I'm a nugget as HDR wasn't actually enabled. 

Forza 7 felt amazing. Being able to jump into the game world of RDR2 in a matter of seconds is pretty amazing but proper impressions are still a few days away.

I don’t have the system but I have seen many people excited to report that Sonic Unleashed now runs lag free for the first time ever. Previous systems couldn’t handle the speed without dropping frames.

I now see a large number of people wish Sonic 06 gets put on BC because the game has infamously bad load times and frame drops.

Is Squadron's meant to have some kind of toggle between new lighting model and 60fps, and old lighting model but 120fps? I read that in the news a while back but I can't find anything anywhere. Can anyone with better eyes than me tell if the lighting is any better? I'm still too stunned by the jump to 4k because I had a vanilla xbox one.

Generally everything is a nice step up for me since I was on vanilla. 

I tried Lost Odyssey to see something on 360 that hasn't had special stepping up. Looks messy, blurry and horrible. I turned off auto hdr too and still looked a bit glowy. And the loading times are already pretty quick of the external ssd, it's imperceptible if there is any improvement from the internal ssd. 

2 hours ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Played Tetris Effect for the first time last night right before bed.

Is it possible to get screen burn on your eyes, that was immense!!! 

Its that last level of area 2 with the worshipping and the flames where it really kicked off for me. Amazing level. Ritual Passion it’s called. 

Dark. Headphones. HDR 4K. Big Tele. 

I’ve clocked it in VR and I genuinely think this was a better experience. 

Subnautica does not improve massively unfortunately, in some ways it looks worse and still has really poor pop-in compared to the PC version.

The game I've played the most this morning is Gears 5, which I couldn't enjoy the first time round partly due to a lack of visual clarity and frame rate on my one S. The resolution, lighting and frame rate certainly help visual clarity on X and the boss fight I just did was much more fun than I expected.

Still waiting for FH4 to finish downloading.

I got a bit of Forza 7 in yesterday and noticed a really weird visual effect.

On one of the circuits the road surface had textured grooves in it and once you got to a decent speed it gave the effect of being one continuous pattern and the car was kinda floating on it. So the road and car were almost stationary and the scenery and sky were whizzing around.

Is this because its in 60fps now or am I getting some sort of motion sickness?

1 hour ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Spent the first few hours downloading updates. Once I'd tried a few games and jumped between them using quick resume that was the most compelling amd positive aspect to the whole experience thus far.

Had the HDMI in the wrong input so

after a couple of hours extolling the wonder of auto HDR in Geo Wars 2 and Split Second I had to take it back and report to my party that I'm a nugget as HDR wasn't actually enabled. 

Forza 7 felt amazing. Being able to jump into the game world of RDR2 in a matter of seconds is pretty amazing but proper impressions are still a few days away.

Does Forza 7 get a patch or any upgrades? 

2 minutes ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

I got a bit of Forza 7 in yesterday and noticed a really weird visual effect.

On one of the circuits the road surface had textured grooves in it and once you got to a decent speed it gave the effect of being one continuous pattern and the car was kinda floating on it. So the road and car were almost stationary and the scenery and sky were whizzing around.

Is this because its in 60fps now or am I getting some sort of motion sickness?

Forza 7 was 60fps before I think.

2 hours ago, Harsin said:

I bought Star Wars Squadrons as it can be had for £21 on CDKeys at the moment. I was having trouble getting the code to work through the console, so put it in on the Microsoft website and it worked.

I thoughtit was supposed to automatically download on your Xbox (console set to Instant On)? But nothing happened and the game wasn't even showing up in my library with an option to download. Eventually got it by going to it's store page where it said 'You Already Own This' and pressing download.

Yeah, I've had to do that a few times as well. The codes can take a little while to ripple through sometimes.

Got to say, I thought Smart Delivery would be a bit, well, smarter. The 'upgrade' updates making you download the entire game again kind of undermined my pre-launch preparation of loading up an external SSD.

Valhalla didn't arrive yesterday, so I downloaded the install via the Xbox app so I wouldn't have to go through the upgrade process after putting in the disc, or so I thought. Unlike Xbox One games when I put the disc in it just started installing another instance of the same game, and if I tried to launch the pre-loaded version it told me to put the disc in. Hopefully this is just a launch aberration, otherwise that pre-load feature won't be much use for disc buyers.

Just now, MattyP said:

FH4 on Series X :wub:

It’s outrageous isn’t it. First 4k/60 game I tried on it and my jaw hit the floor. Lord only knows what Playground Games will deliver when they have the full power of Series X to play with. 

This gen is going to be fucking bonkers. :wacko:

2 hours ago, AK Bell said:

Is Squadron's meant to have some kind of toggle between new lighting model and 60fps, and old lighting model but 120fps? I read that in the news a while back but I can't find anything anywhere. Can anyone with better eyes than me tell if the lighting is any better? I'm still too stunned by the jump to 4k because I had a vanilla Xbox One.

AFAIK the Series X patch isn't out for Squadrons. It doesn't show it as being and X/S enhanced title on the store anyway.

3 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Smart delivery is smart because it downloads the right build of the game. 

It's not about mini minimising downloads unfortunately.

I expected it to behave more like One X patches, where it just seamlessly downloaded additional assets if you were on that hardware. Seems they have to be entirely separate builds, though.

It's not so big a deal for me as I've a 100Mb connection, but I imagine putting the disc in only to then have to download the entire game is going to be a real pain for lots of people around Christmas.

Played Assassins Creed Odyssey this morning, picking up from where I left off on the One X last week.

Other than the quicker loading times, which were pretty atrocious on last gen hardware, the game is exactly the same, no real improvements. Looks as good as it did on the One X for me (which is to say it looks very pretty) and is the same old 30fps.

44 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Played Assassins Creed Odyssey this morning, picking up from where I left off on the One X last week.

Other than the quicker loading times, which were pretty atrocious on last gen hardware, the game is exactly the same, no real improvements. Looks as good as it did on the One X for me (which is to say it looks very pretty) and is the same old 30fps.

It's not optimised so what did you expect? 60fps?

57 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I expected it to behave more like One X patches, where it just seamlessly downloaded additional assets if you were on that hardware. Seems they have to be entirely separate builds, though.

It's not so big a deal for me as I've a 100Mb connection, but I imagine putting the disc in only to then have to download the entire game is going to be a real pain for lots of people around Christmas.

I'm only guessing here. But is it the fact it is better for it to download a nicely packaged game with exactly the assets you need to maximise performance? Just pulling that straight out of my arse of course, but it's what I imagine it is doing?