Games that run better on the Xbox Series S|X (includes BC games as well as Series S|X optimisations)

For the two other people who play Space Giraffe.. It looks magnificent in auto-HDR !

Yes admittedly it makes the eyes bleed even more but that is what we want!!!

EDIT - In other duller news - yes Gears Tactics looks very nice and plays a great strategy game :D

5 minutes ago, Clipper said:

For the two other people who play Space Giraffe.. It looks magnificent in auto-HDR !

It's in my queue.... Just left it downloading things tonight! :) Looking forward to playing Space Giraffe so good to know it looks better..... :)

11 minutes ago, MattyP said:

It's in my queue.... Just left it downloading things tonight! :) Looking forward to playing Space Giraffe so good to know it looks better..... :)

actually I am undecided if it looks "better" when playing seriously...  it looks sharper and the visual assault on the senses is brighter just like retro evolved. However I noted one or two moments when dying that the bloom went a bit too bright...

I need to play more in HDR and non HDR to decide finally which is best but it looks fantastic and "pops" wonderfully! I just think there may be one or two "non gameplay" moments where it just blooms too much.

Thats me done for the day also. First game completion on the SX (although started on the One X) was Titanfall 2 tonight, just got hooked into it and suddenly found myself at the end. More to explore tomorrow, hopefully Odyssey and Destiny 2 will have finished installing by morning!

I actually mostly played Skate 3 lol and then a bit of Gears Tactics which looked gorgeous and scratched that Xcom itch but might prove to be too aggressively stupid a franchise for me to be able to enjoy fully.

Not much of a racing guy, but I might try Forza Horizon 4 next and I will probably get the new Yakuza game as my first "proper" next gen game when it comes out.

Coming from PS4 and having not had an Xbox since 360, Gamepass is kind of blowing my mind really, I'm getting analysis paralysis trying to decide what to play.

In an effort to stop the Xbox Series S|X thread from getting any larger and making it difficult for people to separate pre and post-launch talk, I've created a new thread. Please put your impressions of any improved shininess for existing games here. :)

I just played some Doom Eternal and assumed it had got a series patch, but it hadn't.

I don't know what resolution it was running at before but now it's running in 4k all the time,  it looks significantly improved.  The load times on death were a bit of a pain before - long enough to pick up the phone,  but not really long enough to actually look at anything.  Now,  it's a few seconds and back in the fight you go. 

I know lots of people will say that 4k isn't worth it or that they can't tell the difference or that you need to be within a certain number of cm to get the benefit,  but having been playing Doom Eternal recently, and now on new hardware, the difference is significant to me. So much so that as I said,  I thought it had been patched, not that it was just an old game with locked framerate and variable resolution.  

Definitely worth a look if you've played before and have a 4k TV.

Doom Eternal was dynamic - to maintain 60fps it dropped resolution. Doesn't need to do that anymore so you'll get true 4k most of the time I expect. 

State of Decay 2 got a surprise s/x patch and is so, so much better, it's gone from ambitious but janky, stuttery and jaggy (I'm sure it was like 720p or something on the base One) to a visually pleasing and crisp game at a an extremely smooth 60 fps. Guns work properly now with the framerate - I always found them too slow with the 20 odd fps the game would lurch to in combat. Now they're actually really satisfying to use as you can shoot chunks of the zombies with precision. Game changer. 

5 hours ago, Clipper said:

actually I am undecided if it looks "better" when playing seriously...  it looks sharper and the visual assault on the senses is brighter just like retro evolved. However I noted one or two moments when dying that the bloom went a bit too bright...

I need to play more in HDR and non HDR to decide finally which is best but it looks fantastic and "pops" wonderfully! I just think there may be one or two "non gameplay" moments where it just blooms too much.

Have you calibrated HDR in settings? 

6 hours ago, Talvalin said:

In an effort to stop the Xbox Series S|X thread from getting any larger and making it difficult for people to separate pre and post-launch talk, I've created a new thread. Please put your impressions of any improved shininess for existing games here. :)

Bad idea. None of the past console thread were split up like this.

2 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Which don't cover the breadth of general "new console" chat. A simple "post launch" thread would have worked fine without splitting conversation.

The original thread is still there for that purpose

So Ori has 2 modes selectable, I assume just on TVs that support it. 

4k @ 120

6k @ 60

The 6K (downsampled) had a distinctly crisper look to it than the 120. I didn’t notice too much difference with 120 but I only stuck it on for a few seconds. 

The 6K looked really nice though and the fact you can alternate back and forth easily without a restart and instantly see the difference was really nice. 

I bought Star Wars Squadrons as it can be had for £21 on CDKeys at the moment. I was having trouble getting the code to work through the console, so put it in on the Microsoft website and it worked.

I thoughtit was supposed to automatically download on your Xbox (console set to Instant On)? But nothing happened and the game wasn't even showing up in my library with an option to download. Eventually got it by going to it's store page where it said 'You Already Own This' and pressing download.