IGNORED

Xbox Series S|X hardware impressions

Fusty Gusset

1 minute ago, Popo said:

As someone raised on Sega who has only just recently managed to require his brain to the Nintendo layout... I have to agree, this is now driving me crazy. :lol:

But hey, Xbox has always been modelled on the Dreamcast button layout - and when your industry leader doesn’t even have an A or a B button on their pad, I don’t think we can decry Microsoft too much.

The pad does feel great in the hands overall - and the stick travel is buttery smooth. 

I could tell I've been playing on Xbox too long when I got a Switch. Never got used to the A and B buttons on that controller being the other way around. 

Always preferred the Xbox pads over anything else since I first held a S controller back on the original Xbox. Like the Dreamcast pad perfected IMHO. Liked that controller too but if always delt a bit "creaky". :D

Also like the coloured buttons on the Xbox pad....

The new pad is a nice refinement. Like the new D-Pad much more positive feeback from a press. Although pressing up was a bit unresponsive on mine when I initially got it. Seems to have settled down a bit.

If anyone is wondering the official play and charge battery is fine on this fits OK. Although the charging cable will no longer work of course....

4 minutes ago, Onze said:

Quick resume doesn't seem to be working. 

Swapping between Gears of War 5 and Tetris Effect Connected seems to go through the full load sequence for each game everytime. :unsure:

I tested a few yesterday

Fortnite doesn't

Minecraft doesn't

Roblox doesn't

Space Giraffe doesn't

Gears 4 does

Gears tactics does

3 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Don't they all require a connection to a server though? And you get logged out after a certain time period so there's no way you can quick resume back to that.

not on main menu of those games either (pre-connection to a server) - I tested both connected to server and disconnected to server.

Roblox initial screen is definitely prior to server connection

Minecraft shouldnt need a server connection if you are playing a local map either.

MS themselves say this

Quick Resume does work on online games, but some games won’t resume properly. Online service-based games will push you to the menu of the game instead of starting right up.

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/help/games-apps/game-setup-and-play/get-back-to-your-game-instantly-with-quick-resume

20 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I tested a few yesterday

Fortnite doesn't

Minecraft doesn't

Roblox doesn't

Space Giraffe doesn't

Gears 4 does

Gears tactics does

Think titles have be compatible with the "Quick resume feature". Makes sense as the old stuff won't know how to write is status to the disk when QR is triggered. 

Sure everything will be patched in due course.... didn't know it had a dry ice display mode... where is that feature. Seriously though not great news. Hopefully not a widespread problem.... :)

16 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Spate of reports including videos of peoples XSX' consoles bellowing smoke

The guy in the UK's report sounds quite scary, his console was making a sizzling sound so loud it woke him.

Wow impressive.... Hopefully not a widespread problem....

I'm pretty pleased overall.

My last 'main' console was a PS4 (og). I'm not counting the Switch because they're just different aren't they. Everyone know what I mean but someone will get their knickers in a twist so let's say now that sure I agree with you it's a legitimate console, whatever.

Anyway, I do also have a decent PC and I was playing FH4 at 4K60 when it came out. I got bored of it and uninstalled it on my PC and didn't think I'd bother with it on XSX but I did mess around a little and I think perhaps it is a little smoother and the HDR is a bit better. Mainly though, just loading it up from a console dash is much nicer.

Having not been in the Xbox realm since the 360, the UI and general experience is new to me. I can understand it would be odd if it was the same things you'd had for ages but, aren't most UIs pretty similar now? It's not miles away from looking through Netflix...

Which brings me on to Game Pass. I was very unsure about the lack of a big new marquee system seller but in reality they're often shit. I remember buying five or more launch title with my PS4 and they were all forgettable - I've literally forgotten them other than FIFA and Killzone, which was supposedly the show off game but it was fucking shit.

Having a library, some of which has been spruced up especially, most at least a little, to choose from is pretty special. I've had GP on PC since Flight Sim came out but there's not as much there and despite having loads more room, I'm somehow reluctant to clog up my SSDs with shit. A console is meant for games, you may as well stick them on there and delete them - as I did with Ace Combat 7.

I really think it's the best launch ever for games, as someone who missed a lot of last gen, not necessarily because of platform, but because I was reluctant to spend money on games I wasn't sure about - Jedi Fallen Order for example - having that for 'free' has allowed to realise it's quite a fun action adventure if a little formulaic and done before. It looks nice (as least when you put in perf mode for 60fps) and it fun. I probably wouldn't buy it, but for a GP game it's ideal and what a launch title! I can't think of any previous gen where a game like that wouldn't be a huge deal at launch, and here it's one of many, for 'free'.

Maybe it's because I've come from PC and not a One X, but it's new and fun for me. If anything, the machine is only really on par with my PC for power, but it does it quietly and quickly and efficiently which is worth it for me and its the sort of thing that excite me in middle age "oooohhhh, hassle free."

There was a problem with the original Xbox too. I remember getting a widget through the post to isolate it if there was a problem. Still hopefully not a widespread problem. Guess we'd be hearing a lot more stories of it right now if it was!

Have mine on the shelf next to me... I'll be keeping an eye on it.... :D 

6 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Wow impressive.... Hopefully not a widespread problem....

My only slight concern is that the fan never seems to stop at all. Far from being hot, I've actually got cool air coming out of mine. It's been off since last night but is clearly still running a fan. If you put your hand next to the holes it's actually almost cold air, you can feel it versus room temp.

2 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Will my play and charge kit for Xbox one work with series x? And charge over usb c without blowing it up?

No as its a micro USB and the new controller is USB-C. Just plug it into a phone charger or something. Have mine charging through a USB to USB-C lead connected to my PC.

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

Probably not if it's one that replaces the battery door. The pad is slightly smaller than the One pad so they don't fit.

It fits. My old play and charge battery is currently in my new controller and charging on USB-C.

29 minutes ago, DumbMagician said:

The console itself is even weenier! Gave out a manly squeal when I opened it and saw how small it is.

As someone who will need to bring his console back with him from abroad in 3-5 months, this pleases me greatly, as it was one big (small?) plus point the S had over the bulkier X. Thought the latter would be a right pain and take up a lot of a suitcase. Or I'd have to buy a child seat or bassinet for it to get it on to the plane. 

6 minutes ago, Pockets said:

My only slight concern is that the fan never seems to stop at all. Far from being hot, I've actually got cool air coming out of mine. It's been off since last night but is clearly still running a fan. If you put your hand next to the holes it's actually almost cold air, you can feel it versus room temp.

The fan doesn’t stop if it’s downloading stuff when it’s turned off in instant on mode.

5 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

The fan doesn’t stop if it’s downloading stuff when it’s turned off in instant on mode.

Even once it's finished downloading? I left it downloading a Madden trial but that would have been done by midnight.

4 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

And they’ll all be downloading stuff at the moment.

the smoke video is interesting: that’s a lot of something coming out. Pretty sure my reaction would be to turn it off rather than leave it running while I videoed it. 

2 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Frankly yeah, me too. Not having a tent pole title for launch is a huge shame. Game pass is incredible value and if your coming at gaming or the Xbox from a time away then it’s even more amazing. But I’ve played all the AAA stuff and no real drive to return to it. 

& tetris effect looks amazing but i’ld rather put the VR headset back on. 

‘Like buying a new phone’ is spot on. The same but slightly better. Ironically I got the consoles this Xmas because I had no need for a slightly better phone... 

Of course If infinite had been ready then it would have been a completely different story. 

And when it is I don’t have to pay any more! 

And forza horizon 5 will appear at some point. So it’s just a matter of time. 

Till then it will be my Indie games in game pass machine. And that’s fine by me. 

Having downloaded a couple of extra games over night, i am looking at life differently this morning. the new Ori is beautiful and so smooth, and Forza also plays great.  Its not a traditional next gen upgrade but I knew that - and wonder if we will ever have a jump like that again. Find some great games optimised for Series X and enjoy them while we wait for the new stuff....