Jump to content

Xbox Series S|X hardware impressions


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

A couple of specific observations:

 

- It's very odd to unplug one console, plug in a brand new next-gen console and have it boot up with the exact same OS and all your settings like nothing has changed. It really does feel like a PC upgrade more than a brand new console, at least coming from a One X.

 

- So, as with a PC upgrade, I've been going through some old games to see how they look. Holy shit the speed enhancements are real. Supraland, which spluttered along on the One X, is butter smooth now. I wonder if that'll help me with the motion sickness it caused.

 

- I'm not at all convinced by Auto HDR, it seems like a gimmick that I'll soon switch off. A lot of things are simply far too bright, especially loading screens, HUDs and so on. I tried playing Slay the Spire and it was like squinting at the sun. That said, it did look pretty good on The Turing Test (once you got past the eye-searing blaze of the loading screen) so I guess it has potential. Might be worth coming back to it a few months down the line and seeing if they've tweaked the algorithm. Several games I tried, including first-party title Minecraft Dungeons, simply had the feature disabled.

 

This was a worry for me - it'll be like when you get a new phone do a restore and very quickly it doesn't feel "new" as it's same wallpaper, same icons etc.

 

Like the sad bastard I am, I'm going to change my theme colour and background picture so it feels different.

 

One oversight with auto-hdr I think mis that it seems to be a system level setting, for something that seems like it will be hit and miss it would have been better as some sort of per game setting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not booting up correctly. I keep needing to get up and press the button on and off. 

 

It's not detecting my TV settings, on my Xbox one X every option is ticked fine but now it only shows "your TV supports 4k 60hz"

 

Everyrhing else is crossed out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would very much like to know how the UHD drive performs on the Series X when watching UHD movies? I use my Xbox One X for watching UHD discs, and I works great. One some titles it's a bit noisy, probably since UHD discs spins faster when playing.

 

How's the noise level on the UHD drive on the Series X? As silent as the console itself? Would be great.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

my tv (a cheapo hisense 4k hdr thing) has settings for each HDMI port either auto or hdmi2.0 or hdmi1.4 - they were set to auto and the Series X could not detect it was a 4k TV

 

if I changed it to force HDMI2.0 on those ports on my tv the Series X detected 4k and HDR10 correctly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Okotta said:

I would very much like to know how the UHD drive performs on the Series X when watching UHD movies? I use my Xbox One X for watching UHD discs, and I works great. One some titles it's a bit noisy, probably since UHD discs spins faster when playing.

 

How's the noise level on the UHD drive on the Series X? As silent as the console itself? Would be great.

 

 

 

It's still pretty loud. I'd say about the same. I think if you want to watch movies and not hear the disc spinning you need to get an actual Bluray player.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks pretty boxed in to me, if it gets really hot it'll turn itself off.  I don't know if it'll make much difference but I suppose you could swap the positions around so there's more open space in front of the vent.   The sky box might be reduced to a puddle, of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Not just mine apparently

 

 

B7D45BCE-D69F-427C-94FB-101251A07147.jpeg

Wasnt that report debunked by DF amongst others

 

Mine has been fortniting for about an hr and there is a gentle warm breeze coming from the top

 

EDIT - the front has a slight hotspot top middle but not too hot to touch or anything weird. Putting my ear to top I can hear fan.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hereticboy said:

For anyone wondering about the new play and charge kit like I was, it's the same battery pack as the old one, just bundled with a USB C cable instead of the old one. Same model and everything.

Good to know, thanks, I've just ordered one of the old ones to save a few quid, but was wondering. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Not just mine apparently

 

 

B7D45BCE-D69F-427C-94FB-101251A07147.jpeg


That report was debunked by numerous sources. Not saying some consoles don’t have a problem but generally they don’t. They should be warm with hot air getting pumped out but not so hot that it’s gonna burn you / heat a flat / cook an egg etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Yiggy said:


That report was debunked by numerous sources. Not saying some consoles don’t have a problem but generally they don’t. They should be warm with hot air getting pumped out but not so hot that it’s gonna burn you / heat a flat / cook an egg etc. 


I’m genuinely worried mine might have an issue then, it’s really, really hot. Took the disc out and it feels like the disc could melt inside the console. I’ll stand it up next to the TV Unit on the floor I reckon 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Wasnt that report debunked by DF amongst others

 

Mine has been fortniting for about an hr and there is a gentle warm breeze coming from the top

 

EDIT - the front has a slight hotspot top middle but not too hot to touch or anything weird. Putting my ear to top I can hear fan.

 

 

Exactly the same as me. Not actually played any games yet though. 

 

It's kinda worrying tbh. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ry said:

It's not booting up correctly. I keep needing to get up and press the button on and off. 

 

It's not detecting my TV settings, on my Xbox one X every option is ticked fine but now it only shows "your TV supports 4k 60hz"

 

Everyrhing else is crossed out. 


Sounds like some sort of HDMI handshake issue. Try a different cable maybe, unless you really need the 2.1. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pockets said:


Sounds like some sort of HDMI handshake issue. Try a different cable maybe, unless you really need the 2.1. 

 

It's all sorted now. My TV reset every setting for some reason. 

 

Cheers though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

After downloading assassins creed Valhalla’s 46 gig update flawlessly, my machine won’t connect to the internet. It’s attached to my wireless network - which works fine - but won’t connect to anything.

 

 A restart might temporarily kick it back in but then it stops again.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.