Xbox Series S|X hardware impressions

I spoke to MS support online this morning regarding the apparent lack of QR on my console. As soon as I said I'd tried it going between GoW and GoW Tactics o was told to request a repair and return the unit! When I said that anecdotally many seemed to have the issue with it working some of the time, therefore possibly more likely to be a software issue? I was given the standard "computer says return to base" 

A little but shit.

7 hours ago, carlospie said:

So the series x is selling for 700 pounds. I'm going to flog mine and buy another when they are back in stock next year, can't turn down a free 250 pounds! 

Why not if you aren't enjoying it. Like you say they'll be plenty at some point next year although I expect shortages to go on for a fair while due to the pandemic and demand. 

2 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

I spoke to MS support online this morning regarding the apparent lack of QR on my console. As soon as I said I'd tried it going between GoW and GoW Tactics o was told to request a repair and return the unit! When I said that anecdotally many seemed to have the issue with it working some of the time, therefore possibly more likely to be a software issue? I was given the standard "computer says return to base" 

A little but shit.

Not really. To be fair the person at the other end of the phone won't be that technical they'll just have a script to work though that will tailored towards finding broken hardware. Anything that falls outside of this they will just default to "send it in".

You would have been better documenting your experience and sending that in to the the team that develop the product so they can use it as a test case to try and replicate. Not sure where that would be mind you..... I'm sure they are aware of the problem anyway and working on a fix.

That wasn't a comment on the person, rather the process. It doesn't take much searching to see its a common theme. I dont think its too much for MS to have a clearer answer on the matter. Their help pages are still talking about Kinect and there's literally nothing on QR.

While I agree that me documenting my findings and sending them to the relevant team could help the situation, I do think that paying £450 for something that doesn't work as advertised shouldn't need me to do that- especially when I'd rather spend my time a) playing games and b) looking after my own company and clients.

Thats not a dig or meant to be sarcastic. I've worked my arse off for the past year to keep my company running and pay my staff. Client care is everything and I'm getting a little tired of larger companies using Covid as an excuse for poor client service.

15 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

That wasn't a comment on the person, rather the process. It doesn't take much searching to see its a common theme. I dont think its too much for MS to have a clearer answer on the matter. Their help pages are still talking about Kinect and there's literally nothing on QR.

While I agree that me documenting my findings and sending them to the relevant team could help the situation, I do think that paying £450 for something that doesn't work as advertised shouldn't need me to do that- especially when I'd rather spend my time a) playing games and b) looking after my own company and clients.

Thats not a dig or meant to be sarcastic. I've worked my arse off for the past year to keep my company running and pay my staff. Client care is everything and I'm getting a little tired of larger companies using Covid as an excuse for poor client service.

Your points are fair,  being tech savvy you could register to be an Xbox insider and report issues that way, at least they’d be logged. I did for the controller issue.

and keep an eye here I guess this page is the only way they are acknowledging the issues. Probably don’t want to advertise it too much as the press will jump on it

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/known-issues-on-xbox-series-xs/221c9d7f-dc91-4067-ba81-33ab671179b5

23 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

Get your points and not making any excuses but QR has a bug in some cases at the moment. It's not machine breaking and you can still play your games? Windows 10 had a bunch of bugs but it doesn't stop me getting work done. 

Problem is software is never perfect. And in many cases people don't have a problem with QR. So it will take some time to work out what the problem is. When they developed it, it probably worked fine in all the scenarios they tested however when something goes out there into the wild it gets used and tested in many different scenarios which they won't obviously accounted for. Ringing up and asking someone on a helpline won't get you the problem fixed there and then all they could do is offer to replace your current machine.

What did expect them to do? Log your test case would have been better I guess or at least refer you to somewhere where you could. So agree they could have least done that. 

Good luck with getting your problem sorted though I expect it will he patched out at some point.

2 hours ago, footle said:

Also Quick Resume is a crock of shit

I think it was a bit like the Dual Sense on some ways. 

The press needed something to latch onto and they were both easy to write about as ‘game changers’. Whether these claims prove to be true and both features become an industry standard will be seen over time. 

When it was in limited press preview mode with a small number of consoles out there the problems were harder to spot. 

With Dual Sense the euphoria is in the initial wow factor. Only now and after continued use are you starting to get some people talking about it being annoying, tiring, obtrusive, detrimental to gamer performance etc. Some of these things will get sorted in time. Just as I would expect the issues with quick resume to be sorted. 

It's just a really nice feature to have when it works properly (and honestly, it's one of the only things differentiating the Series line of consoles from the One S/X at the minute).

The console has literally just launched in the middle of a pandemic, QR is a bit buggy, it'll get ironed out. It's pretty minor compared to some of the software issues being reported on the PS5 side where people have to keep rebuilding databases or the console keeps trying to install the PS4 version of the game over and over again.

47 minutes ago, fattakin said:

Your points are fair,  being tech savvy you could register to be an Xbox insider and report issues that way, at least they’d be logged. I did for the controller issue.

and keep an eye here I guess this page is the only way they are acknowledging the issues. Probably don’t want to advertise it too much as the press will jump on it

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/known-issues-on-xbox-series-xs/221c9d7f-dc91-4067-ba81-33ab671179b5

Had a look through this and right in there they have acknowledged there is an issue with QR on some titles and it has been disabled for these:-

"Quick Resume

While Quick Resume is fully operational with thousands of titles, we are aware a select number of Optimized titles may be experiencing issues with this feature. To ensure the best possible experience for our fans, we’ve disabled the feature for these titles and are working as quickly as possible to fix this at the platform level."

So they are on the case of fixing it. And probably why its working fine for some and not others! Depends what games you are playing....

10 hours ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Evening,

Is there anything special I need to do to get the audio to come out of just the headset when plugged into the controller? Have poked around the settings a bit but can’t see how to set it to headset only.

The only workaround I have is to mute the av receiver but then the mute graphic stays on the screen all the time which is a bit annoying.

Series X is connected to the av receiver which in turn connects to the telly. The headset is being recognised fine as audio does come through it.

Its a Chinese branded Amazon type jobbie rather than a known brand.

Cheers,

Indy

If it's the same as the One X, I don't think you can change this. You can just turn the TV volume down to zero rather than muting it though, which is what I used to do. No mute icon getting in the way that way.

19 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

I don't have a Series console yet, but can I ask why Quick Resume not working particularly well is such a big deal? Aren't the load times already vastly improved over the previous generation?

It's not a big deal. 

It's something that might spoil us though. Like, I don't know... We get annoyed if a film buffers a little when streaming at 4k because that's the step up from 1080p which is dark ages resolution. Forget that it'd take 40 mins to download a 240p avi back in the day... 

Basically QR for many games is just a convenience of not having to skip through developer logos, the main menu and then finding your save game and then getting to play. But with loading times I've found for the games I'm playing, quick resume is saving me about 20 seconds. 

In that 20 seconds it's easy to be annoyed at being shown the intro and menu again when you have a sense that QR should have worked, and you shouldn't have had to look at it. 

I get the feeling this is a backwards compatibility issue, and so short term.

In about a year or so for new games, when developers know its a thing I'm sure the bugs won't happen at all. Or it'll be a mark of a poorly coded game. 

14 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Had a look through this and right in there they have acknowledged there is an issue with QR on some titles and it has been disabled for these:-

"Quick Resume

While Quick Resume is fully operational with thousands of titles, we are aware a select number of Optimized titles may be experiencing issues with this feature. To ensure the best possible experience for our fans, we’ve disabled the feature for these titles and are working as quickly as possible to fix this at the platform level."

So they are on the case of fixing it. And probably why its working fine for some and not others! Depends what games you are playing....

The problem with Quick Resume for me is that it doesn't appear to be fully operational for anything - even on games where it works, it seems completely random whether it triggers or not. It's not a big deal (the busted Sleep mode is far more of an issue for me) but it seems weird that they are continuing to say it works perfectly for loads of games when I think most people's experience is that this is simply not true.

2 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

The problem with Quick Resume for me is that it doesn't appear to be fully operational for anything - even on games where it works, it seems completely random whether it triggers or not. It's not a big deal (the busted Sleep mode is far more of an issue for me) but it seems weird that they are continuing to say it works perfectly for loads of games when I think most people's experience is that this is simply not true.

Odd.... To be fair I'm a bit ignorant of QR as I've not really noticed it. Just know that games boot up from cold really quickly so I expect it must be using this to some degree. I'll check it out next time I use the console!

Guessing you've tried a full shutdown and restart etc? Which console are you using S or X?

Odd that technically all the machines are running on the same hardware and the same software revision so surprised an issue on one X isn't manifesting itself on another X. etc.

9 minutes ago, Mogster said:

If it's the same as the One X, I don't think you can change this. You can just turn the TV volume down to zero rather than muting it though, which is what I used to do. No mute icon getting in the way that way.

That’s what I do. 

It works for me as there are times when I want it coming LOUD in my ears and at  an audible volume from the TV so my wife / kids can still hear what in doing in things like sea of thieves. Some people are just plugging headset mics in as well. 

Quick Resume (combined with rapid initial load if it doesn't work) has already changed how I play games, in that I'm happy to flip between three games in an evening rather than sticking to just the one.

It's hard to overstate how much better it is not having to tap through several splash screens and confirmation dialogs before getting into a game, and also being dropped in exactly where you left off. Not teleported back to some hub, or the beginning of a checkpoint.

For me, it is literally a game-changer.

2 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

What’s this?

I've got my machine in Instant On mode. On the Xbox One, if I was playing something and I turned the Xbox off, when I turned it back on the next day the game would be exactly where I left it. (Like the PS4's Rest Mode).

On the Series X, this again seems almost random, and a lot of the time when I turn the machine back on it reloads the game from scratch.

Can anyone get games to install via the gamepass app? I’ve the Series X set to instant on, remote play blah blah blah all that stuff set to ‘on’. 

When I try to install from the app it just sits there saying ‘waiting for console’.

I was meant to be joining up with some friends last night to play a new game, but it hadnt downloaded. Sad face. 

9 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

My elite 2 controller disconnecting all the time is a really passing me off. It’s definitely a software issue with the series X - as a reboot fixes it, and I wish they’d get an update patch out soon. 

Also Quick Resume is a crock of shit based on my experience of it - and I cant see why the games press were all fawning over it.

Weird that with the Elite 2. I’ve not had any disconnections at all with mine.

Quick Resume is great when it works. Just a few teething troubles I think.

I’m sure they’re busy working away on a patch though and it’ll all be sorted soon. It’s nothing worth stressing about at the moment.

1 hour ago, Yiggy said:

I think it was a bit like the Dual Sense on some ways. 

The press needed something to latch onto and they were both easy to write about as ‘game changers’. Whether these claims prove to be true and both features become an industry standard will be seen over time. 

When it was in limited press preview mode with a small number of consoles out there the problems were harder to spot. 

With Dual Sense the euphoria is in the initial wow factor. Only now and after continued use are you starting to get some people talking about it being annoying, tiring, obtrusive, detrimental to gamer performance etc. Some of these things will get sorted in time. Just as I would expect the issues with quick resume to be sorted. 

This is also why I try not to buy games on launch.   Hype machine for a while on rllmuk and then see what people think a few weeks or months after.

45 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I've got my machine in Instant On mode. On the Xbox One, if I was playing something and I turned the Xbox off, when I turned it back on the next day the game would be exactly where I left it. (Like the PS4's Rest Mode).

On the Series X, this again seems almost random, and a lot of the time when I turn the machine back on it reloads the game from scratch.

My One X used to randomly do this and I've had it a couple of times with my X. 

45 minutes ago, Chooch said:

Can anyone get games to install via the gamepass app? I’ve the Series X set to instant on, remote play blah blah blah all that stuff set to ‘on’. 

When I try to install from the app it just sits there saying ‘waiting for console’.

I was meant to be joining up with some friends last night to play a new game, but it hadnt downloaded. Sad face. 

I know some people here definitely have it working, but as for myself, it's never worked. It either does likes yours, or it says it is downloading, but actually doesn't download anything. 

After not seeing quick resume work at all for about the first week or so, it now works pretty consistently between all but one of the games I'm playing. Gears 5, FH4 and Vermintide 2 all work perfectly and it really is a brilliant QoL improvement. Sea of Thieves seems to start from scratch each time but then we're usually setting up new games anyway so it's not much of a bother.

50 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I have a feeling, based on nothing technical, that MS might be relying on quick resume for the normal rest mode itself too. Save the game state to the SSD when console is put to sleep, load that save state back when turned on again. It might explain why even rest mode resume doesn't work for some games where quick resume is also borked?

On day 1 / 2 I was getting some problems with QR - to the point I had assumed it was specifically disabled for Forza Horizon 4. Then it was pointed out it wasn't - for what it's worth, ever since I stopped turning the console off in game but going to home, then turning it off, QR seemed to be a lot more reliable and to work as expected. 

I haven't tested that though. 

If nothing else I think games should perhaps think about not showing 18 dev logos and a long animated intro menu in any game that a user has played before and should just go "hmm, they've already been playing this, I will just present them with a menu that goes..."

Push Any Button: continue game
B - Main menu

With extra options to taste. This is something that could have been implemented long before Quick Resume was a glint in a hard drive's eye.

Apologies if this has been discussed but I haven't followed the topic and it's a bit long to read it all back now. 

I'm wondering if there's any benefit to having a series X over an S if I'm going to use it on a 1080p TV? Is the performance and graphics quality identical except for the resolution?

8 minutes ago, Sane said:

Apologies if this has been discussed but I haven't followed the topic and it's a bit long to read it all back now. 

I'm wondering if there's any benefit to having a series X over an S if I'm going to use it on a 1080p TV? Is the performance and graphics quality identical except for the resolution?

X has a beefier GPU (for 4K etc), slight speed increase on the CPU (200Mhz). S has a smaller SSD (1/2 size of X @ 512GB). Depends on how you want are going to use the console I guess. Bear in mind if you need more storage its expensive @ £220 for a 1TB card which brings an S into the X's price bracket anyway.

In terms of architecture they are both on next gen chipsets and their CPU (other than clock speed) identical. So if you just intend to run at 1080p and don't need much internal storage S probably the more suitable and wallet friendly machine.

13 minutes ago, Sane said:

It's probably too early to say. For some games like Valhalla there are big differences in performance and graphical settings but that seems to be partly down to launch period poor optimisation. 

I'd argue the s is likely to be a false economy for anyone into games enough to be posting on here just because of the comparative lack of storage but in and of itself it's a brilliant price for the hardware.