Xbox Series S|X hardware impressions

55 minutes ago, JPL said:

Get an Elite Pad. Easily the best ergonomics of any pad.

Thanks for the tip, I'm all in on this console so I will check the pad out. Already bought the official storage expansion and play and charge kit and a ton of games in the sale, having a great time with it all. Flicking from Dark Souls to Halo to Wreckfest in just seconds is wonderful. It's like having a Yod@box (who remembers those?) but legit.

Just played Ori and the Will of the Wisps for the first time, might be the most eye searingly pretty thing I've ever seen.

28 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Yeah the dpad almost feels like one of those old top quality microswitch dpads. It isn't, it's the same mechanism as the Xbox One dpad I'm sure, but it impersonates it well. Best current dpad easily of the ones I have used* and one of my favourites ever. Platformers play so well on it. 

It is a relatively noisy controller without a doubt but personally I like that. 

Ranking of dpads: xbox series, switch lite, ps4, retroid pocket 2, xbox one. 

It is the first and only dpad I have been able to properly play SWOS on and I assume many other digital/dpad dependant games will be in the same boat

but noisy yeah

14 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Thanks for the tip, I'm all in on this console so I will check the pad out. Already bought the official storage expansion and play and charge kit and a ton of games in the sale, having a great time with it all. Flicking from Dark Souls to Halo to Wreckfest in just seconds is wonderful. It's like having a Yod@box (who remembers those?) but legit.

Just played Ori and the Will of the Wisps for the first time, might be the most eye searingly pretty thing I've ever seen.

It’s a great pad, but there are plenty of reported issues. MS seem to replace them easily enough if you do have any problems though.

Although, I’d probably wait. I’ve not heard anything mentioned, but I can imagine they’ve got a v3 coming that has the share button. If that doesn’t bother you, then get a v2.

Been playing Zoo Keeper (to show the toddler zoo animals, now we can't take her any more), and it's started working with QR. So somethings happening behind the scenes. My partners got back into Overcooked too (a new console to play it on excuses allows her to start all over again). 

Two wins from Game Pass - the Xbox has certainly won the family over more than the PS5.

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Get an Elite Pad. Easily the best ergonomics of any pad.

Anyone else having their Elite 2 disconnect randomly? Has worked fine on the One X. But will randomly not connect to the Series X without a full restart. 

Also, Quick Resume not working atall anymore. 

MS need another system update ASAP. 

My Elite 2 often turns on the Series X then immediately disconnects. Then I turn it back on, and it disconnects again. Third time's the charm, and it stays working thereafter.

But sometimes it just works the way I'd expect. (Like it always did on the Xbox One).

There are so many little bugs with this thing that need ironing out. Quick Resume is just completely bloody random for me, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, even on the same game.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

My Elite 2 often turns on the Series X then immediately disconnects. Then I turn it back on, and it disconnects again. Third time's the charm, and it stays working thereafter.

But sometimes it just works the way I'd expect. (Like it always did on the Xbox One).

There are so many little bugs with this thing that need ironing out. Quick Resume is just completely bloody random for me, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, even on the same game.

That is exactly what happens to mine.

Weirdly, even though I’ve had no problems with disconnections on my Series X, my son also has a v2 which has been disconnecting from his Xbox One. I’ve sent it off to Germany for a repair/replacement which I should be getting back this week, so I’ll let you know how he gets on with it.

5 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

The elite v2 was a big improvement over the elite v1 (I bought both, and used the v1 again just a few hours ago), and a giant improvement over the Xbox one initial and revision 2 (bluetooth) pads. Also an inbuilt battery and three rather than two presets.

If you’re happy without paddles though, the series pad takes the best improvements (textured grips, triggers, modified dpad) and is also ever so slightly smaller. It isn’t an open and shit case.

(I’ll leave the typo. As an indication, I’d mostly swap the elite 2 between the x1x and the pc. I’m not currently bothering to swap it, and am just using the elite for vahalla, and the default pad for anything else. If you play FPS or driving games, paddles are nice though.)

3 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Been playing Zoo Keeper (to show the toddler zoo animals, now we can't take her any more), and it's started working with QR. So somethings happening behind the scenes. My partners got back into Overcooked too (a new console to play it on excuses allows her to start all over again). 

Two wins from Game Pass - the Xbox has certainly won the family over more than the PS5.

Have a look at Knights and bikes currently on GamePass. My other half loved playing that on co-op recently. Lovely little feel good heartwarming game especially at the moment. 

On 20/11/2020 at 07:33, Benny said:

My One X had a loud UHD drive, so I got a replacement, which was also loud. So just sensitive ears. Or, alternatively, it could be MS are using the exact same drive as the one in the One X, and that the build quality of the part is very variable.

Wonder if it's something to do with the drive running vertically anyone tried playing a disk in the horizontal orientation? Probably won't make a difference.

I use mine horizontally and the disc drive is very quiet. Not as quiet as the fan but I have to listen closely to hear it when watching a film even if said film is muted. Certainly can't hear it over the external hdd I sometimes connect to it. 

Must be a luck of the draw thing. 

On 19/11/2020 at 10:53, Jg15 said:

I have a weird one whereby, upon booting up, the "connect to Xbox Live" box appears on the home screen not allowing me to move onto Store, Gamepass etc pages (despite the fact I am connected). Clicking on it shows that I am connected in settings so its probably more of a OS bug as I can still access Live services from my favourites, like the store, which the gets rid of the connect box.

Edit - I think the speed in which the new Xbox loads may also have something to do with this, like the UI can't quite catch up before loading the home screen.

I had this problem on my Series S, except it wouldn't actually connect, or sync anything, or load the store. Testing the network connection sometimes kicked it into life, sometimes rebooting, maybe waiting. No rhyme or reason. Super fucking annoying.

So, if anyone else has this problem: Switch off the 5ghz option on your router. I eventually found the answer under 'Known Issues: Multiplayer games fail to connect' which wasn't my issue at all but whatever, works perfectly now!

Really impressed with the x so far :) whisper quiet during everything I've thrown at it and smooth as silk. Almost stays as cool as the fridge it resembles after extensive gameplay! Just about warm to the touch. Does feel like I've bought a premium product

Not heard the fans kick up once, played a BluRay and didn't hear the drive in any noticeable way either. You can hear it if you mute the TV and get close enough of course. Going to get stuck into gears 5 I think soon as I haven't got to it yet, may finish off gears 4 first also.

Going to try and play a few game pass games once in a while and make the most of it as I usually rotate between the same 2 or 3 games.

I find the controller a little more uncomfortable than the elite and old xbox one pad, not quite sure why but it seems to hurt my trigger fingers a bit but I had been grinding FIFA weekend league for a prolonged period so probably clutching the controller in a death grip. Love the clicky D-pad actually more than the elite d-pad, the concave shape to it is nice and a bit more pronounced. And share button which i keep forgetting exists will be really handy for capturing moments in multiplayer, will probably miss it when I get my elite v2 back from MS.

Quick resume a bit of a damp squib so far from what I've seen, FIFA seems to work consistently with it but it often says I need to be connected to the Internet (when I already am) when I try to reconnect to servers so I have to quit and load it up again anyway. RE7 crashed both times I tried and DiRT 5 and Cold War it doesn't seem to support it at all at the moment. Once that's ironed out it'll be great to swap between games at will. Cant wait till games start to push what the system can do

5 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I played metal gear rising, tetris, forza and ass origins today. All seamlessly quick launched on command. 

Everything seems the load quick here too. Not sure if it's quick resuming or not but no complaints here. All feels really snappy. Really impressed.

3 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Everything seems the load quick here too. Not sure if it's quick resuming or not but no complaints here. All feels really snappy. Really impressed.

It puts a quick resume label in the top right of the screen if it’s working.

Evening,

Is there anything special I need to do to get the audio to come out of just the headset when plugged into the controller? Have poked around the settings a bit but can’t see how to set it to headset only.

The only workaround I have is to mute the av receiver but then the mute graphic stays on the screen all the time which is a bit annoying.

Series X is connected to the av receiver which in turn connects to the telly. The headset is being recognised fine as audio does come through it.

Its a Chinese branded Amazon type jobbie rather than a known brand.

Cheers,

Indy

My elite 2 controller disconnecting all the time is a really passing me off. It’s definitely a software issue with the series X - as a reboot fixes it, and I wish they’d get an update patch out soon. 

Also Quick Resume is a crock of shit based on my experience of it - and I cant see why the games press were all fawning over it.

6 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

My elite 2 controller disconnecting all the time is a really passing me off. It’s definitely a software issue with the series X - as a reboot fixes it, and I wish they’d get an update patch out soon. 

Also Quick Resume is a crock of shit based on my experience of it - and I cant see why the games press were all fawning over it.

The games press didn’t have any new games to play.

quick resume works well some of the time. when it does it works really well. It just isn’t consistent enough yet.