Jump to content

Xbox Series S|X hardware impressions


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Teeohbee said:

Yeah it's an odd one. Quick resume is definitely disabled for Gears 5 at the moment, whenever I switch to and from it, it loads up from scratch. 

 

 

Yeah quick resume is a bit all over the place at the moment, it's very inconsitent, so inconsistent in fact that Gears 5 quick resumed for me yesterday!?! The only game I've had consitently work with it is Soul Calibur VI.

 

22 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

 

I’m not so keep on the controller though, it feels quite cheap compared to my Cyberpunk Xbone controller, so that’s a shame. 
 

 

It's a weird one I heard people saying the new controller feels cheap (I'm pressuming the one with the S is exactly the same as the controller that comes with the X apart from the colour) but I actually thought it felt really nice. I'm using my Elite now because of the paddles, but when I was setting it up and playing initially I was using the packed in controller and I really liked it, certainly the D-pad is much better for tetris than any of the other xbox pads I have.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Teeohbee said:

Yeah it's an odd one. Quick resume is definitely disabled for Gears 5 at the moment, whenever I switch to and from it, it loads up from scratch. 

 

Yet sometimes when I put the console to sleep after playing, next time I start up it'll load up to exactly where I left it. But not always, and I can't work out why. 

 

Right now it's a bit of a regression coming from PS4 where there was no quick resume but if you only ever played one game, at least you knew it'd put you right back into that game after turning the console back on. 

 

Hopefully it'll all get ironed out.

Just a few glitches here and there I guess that will get sorted out. I expect that is the double edged sword with full backwards compat too - making sure the older games are fully working and where something is not supported the system doesn't try to use it. Not really had any problems here with it but only been flicking between a couple of games - Man Of Medan, Knights and Bikes and HotShot racing....


At least its there and the problems will be patched out. Not as if loading is slow on it anyway... :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MattyP said:

Just a few glitches here and there I guess that will get sorted out. I expect that is the double edged sword with full backwards compat too - making sure the older games are fully working and where something is not supported the system doesn't try to use it.


At least its there and the problems will be patched out. Not as if loading is slow on it anyway... :D 

 

It's not full backwards compatibility though, I thought it was the way everybody went on, but it's the same limited selection of 360 and original Xbox games, and I can't even use my Kinect games from the Xbox One on it, i was actually very disappointed with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

 

Yeah quick resume is a bit all over the place at the moment, it's very inconsitent, so inconsistent in fact that Gears 5 quick resumed for me yesterday!?! The only game I've had consitently work with it is Soul Calibur VI.

 

Ah, I did spot there was an update for Gears 5 yesterday. Maybe that fixed the quick resume, didn't get a chance to play. 

 

6 minutes ago, MattyP said:

At least its there and the problems will be patched out. Not as if loading is slow on it anyway... :D 

 

Yeah, loading Gears from scratch only particularly stings because of the un-skippable splash screens!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Teeohbee said:

Yet sometimes when I put the console to sleep after playing, next time I start up it'll load up to exactly where I left it. But not always, and I can't work out why. 

 

Right now it's a bit of a regression coming from PS4 where there was no quick resume but if you only ever played one game, at least you knew it'd put you right back into that game after turning the console back on.

 

It's a regression from the Xbox One, even, which would usually resume your game OK if you put the console into sleep mode overnight. The Series X usually wants to restart the game if the machine's been in standby for any length of time.

 

I'm kind of assuming it's a bug at this point in time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gooner4life said:

 

It's not full backwards compatibility though, I thought it was the way everybody went on, but it's the same limited selection of 360 and original Xbox games, and I can't even use my Kinect games from the Xbox One on it, i was actually very disappointed with that.


Sure you were, you’re a huge Kinect fan. It’s still a bigger selection of titles than the PS1 - 3 catalogue on the PS5 though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So it's been almost a week. 

 

 

-SSDs are awesome. I knew that already from having one in my PC but I didn't realise how big a difference one would make in a console. Most of the stuff I've played has not been optimised and it's still a night and day difference. Fast travel in Crackdown 3 takes less than five seconds and Minecraft Legends loads a level quick enough that I've stopped picking up my phone to check Twitter or WhatsApp while it loads. When it gets a full Series X patch they should be even better which is exciting.

 

-Quick Resume is really neat but I haven't used it enough yet to take it for granted. I think it being there is enough to get me started properly on Forza 7 as that seems like a good game to dip in and out of 20-30 minutes sessions. For xCloud I think it'll be fantastic. 

 

-Its just a better Xbox. I get thats a bit boring but from my perspective all the content I had a week ago is better now because I have a better box to use it with. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mortis said:


Sure you were, you’re a huge Kinect fan. It’s still a bigger selection of titles than the PS1 - 3 catalogue on the PS5 though. 

 

I do like Kinect, that's why I still have my Xbox One Kinect, and you're right, it's a bigger selection but it's not full backwards compatibility, I personally wouldn't want to play native PS1 or 2 games though that's why my PS1 Mini is gathering dust, the graphics just don't hold up at all, the PS3 games I would play have been remastered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

It's a weird one I heard people saying the new controller feels cheap (I'm pressuming the one with the S is exactly the same as the controller that comes with the X apart from the colour) but I actually thought it felt really nice. I'm using my Elite now because of the paddles, but when I was setting it up and playing initially I was using the packed in controller and I really liked it, certainly the D-pad is much better for tetris than any of the other xbox pads I have.

 

Indeed don't get that either. Have both the old and new controller in front of me. New one is extra grippy on the triggers. Feels better. No weight differences etc. Other than the texture on the triggers and deeper recesses on the top of the analogue sticks and a better D-Pad not much difference IMHO. Solid controller with subtle but welcome improvements.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

 

I don't believe some of you think it's not disappointing, it's one for the future right now.

 

image.thumb.png.9eb7de45d9ed12b19efb3c388a93b50b.png

 

Although I agree it's one for the future it's going to have 90 percent of my gaming time in the next 7 years. Because of game pass, numerous xbox exclusives and third party. 

 

And right now, there's far more to play compared to PS5. 

 

I will maybe play 10 games tops on my PS5 over the course of its life, if at least 5 of them are top class then that's fine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ry said:

 

Although I agree it's one for the future it's going to have 90 percent of my gaming time in the next 7 years. Because of game pass, numerous xbox exclusives and third party. 

 

And right now, there's far more to play compared to PS5. 

 

I will maybe play 10 games tops on my PS5 over the course of its life, if at least 5 of them are top class then that's fine. 

 

No issue with that at all man, we all have our preferences, I think Gamepass is incredible value, I love Gears of War and Forza, but I've never been a Halo fan and personally preferred the PlayStation pads over the years, I also prefer Sony's exclusives, so it's the opposite for me, the majority of my time will be on PS5, but I do love the fact I can try stuff on gamepass.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eighthours said:

 

I have a third party play and charge kit for my Xbone controller and it doesn't quite fit in the new one.

 

The controller is slightly smaller so if it's one with the battery cover attached to the rechargeable battery pack then it wont fit, I've got the official P&C kit batteries and they work fine I just had to switch it to a USB C cable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BubbleFish said:

Also, I've been using the standard batteries that came with the controller while I wait for rechargeable ones. They've been drained already and as much as I'd like to say I've had a week or intense play I'm lucky of n I've averaged 2 hours a day since getting the box on launch day.


If you’ve averaged ~2 hours a day since launch then you’ve used the pad for around 16 hours. That’s not bad surely? The PS4 pad lasts around 5.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CarloOos said:


If you’ve averaged ~2 hours a day since launch then you’ve used the pad for around 16 hours. That’s not bad surely? The PS4 pad lasts around 5.

Going to say that's reasonable surely?

 

Noticed a lot of YouTube "reviews" criticise the pad for still using AA batteries?! Not sure why? Have a stack of AA rechargeable batteries  and just swap them out when they need charging. Better than connecting up a cable and tethering it to a charging point surely? Have a MS play and charge kit too. 

 

Suppose the issue is that you have to buy batteries, re-chargeable batteries or a play and charge kit - whereas other controllers you don't. Personally prefer having the options... Although the play and charge kits from MS are a bit steep at £20 considering the controller is what £55. Makes it fairly expensive if you don't have any AA rechargeable batteries kicking about.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally for me, putting AA batteries into an expensive gadget I just bought in the year 2020 makes it feel cheap. The added insult of my old play and charge kit not quite fitting into the new controller didn't sit well either.

 

Everything else about the X has blown me away though, practically drooling at Tetris Effect and I don't think I can live without quick resume now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.