IGNORED

Xbox Series S|X hardware impressions

Fusty Gusset

1 hour ago, sandman said:

Wish I’d gone for a PS5 instead, although much as I suspected my initial belief that we didn’t need replacements for the bone/PS4 seems entirely correct.

On the plus side you could sell it today for as much as you paid for it and people would happily take it off your hands.

I agree with @sandman it just doesn't feel special at all, the pad is still horrible, the UI is lacklustre, downloads are slow and huge, it's a big unit with no character and there's no games to show it off.

Terrible launch, they should have delayed it until the spring or something.

Tetris Effect is amazing though, i'll buy it on PS5 for sure.

1 hour ago, Mortis said:

What were you expecting? Look at the high end pc games and the graphics aren’t much different. 
  Hate to tell you the PS5 is almost identical hardware so outside of the controller it’s not gonna be any more impressive.

In most respects the ps5 is weaker hardware (on paper, in practice there's no real difference so far). 

To say there's barely any difference from last gen is barmy mind you. 

1 minute ago, deerokus said:

In most respects the ps5 is weaker hardware (on paper, in practice there's no real difference so far). 

To say there's barely any difference from last gen is barmy mind you. 

The jump from the previous gen is going to be less than we’ve seen. 
 I’m jumping from a base Xbox though so I’m over the moon with the games running and looking the way they do. 

3 minutes ago, Mortis said:

I’m jumping from a base Xbox though so I’m over the moon with the games running and looking the way they do. 

Yeah I have original VCR Xbox One and a PS4 slim. The One in particular feels a lot closer to the 360 era in power than it does to this. Everything is so sluggish, the games have looked like blurry shit for the last couple of years, got so fed up with it (ps4 is alright though). 

They were really underpowered right from the start. The new systems certainly aren't. 

I've put my SX into my av cabinet, it's horizontal but you can't see the ugliness. I might switch it back to being on top of it and vertical though. 

Just now, Mortis said:

It is WAY better than the base Xbox One for sure, I'm coming to it from an Xbox One X and I'm in the preview program so I've had the new UI for months already so it does feel a bit stale and disappointing so far, I think they needed to launch with a new Forza Motorsport, something to really show off the shiny graphics, ray tracing, amazing shadows, more cars on the track etc, Forza is the main reason why I own an Xbox, Horizon 4 is brilliant but I don't have a 4k@120hz screen to play on so it's hard to tell the difference being perfectly honest, but that's just testament to how good it looked already on the One X 

I have already played the Series X more in a week than I played the XBO in the last 3 years combined, mainly down to how quickly I can now actually have a “quick game”....I’ve got kids, a Mrs that wants to watch the TV, work 6 days a week, so my gaming time is incredibly limited, since buying the Series X though, being able to power up, be into a game in seconds, play for a quick 20 minutes before tea, 15 minutes while the Mrs puts the kids to bed etc. Is a real game changer,

I couldn’t be happier, love the design, love the controller, have had barely any issues at all. I hope I’m as impressed with the PS5 on Thursday

Edit - “Is a real game changer” :lol: quite literally 

3 hours ago, sandman said:

There’s no mention in the COD thread about crashes. (I just checked). Just people saying it’s a great campaign.

Should I just play it on my One X instead?

Have you got the right version installed and playing if you bought the cross gen edition? People seem to be having issues playing the version that isn't s/x enhanced from what I've heard it causes crashes, and some confusion as it installs both to the series X when you download it.

If you have the x version it should be around 140gb, if its 60-70ish then it's the xbox one version. 

I havent touched campaign but haven't had any crashes on the X version playing multi or dead ops

5 hours ago, Mortis said:

I for one am shocked that the top PS fanboy troll doesn’t like the Xbox. 

It’s ok. He’ll certainly get a console that’s an enormous unit with the character of some random piece of white goods later this week.

Quick Resume. As others have said, I'm just not seeing this. Even games that have the symbol will go through their full preloaded screens before I can start- none of the jumping in and out seen in demos. Currently shuffling between Fuser, Borderlands 3 and GoW.

Also, I've been using the standard batteries that came with the controller while I wait for rechargeable ones. They've been drained already and as much as I'd like to say I've had a week or intense play I'm lucky of n I've averaged 2 hours a day since getting the box on launch day.

1 hour ago, BubbleFish said:

Quick Resume. As others have said, I'm just not seeing this. Even games that have the symbol will go through their full preloaded screens before I can start- none of the jumping in and out seen in demos. Currently shuffling between Fuser, Borderlands 3 and GoW.

Also, I've been using the standard batteries that came with the controller while I wait for rechargeable ones. They've been drained already and as much as I'd like to say I've had a week or intense play I'm lucky of n I've averaged 2 hours a day since getting the box on launch day.

My launch day batteries are only just about to run out and I have played on my Xbox Series for at least 4 hours a day since getting it.

Quick resume works about 80% of the time of me now as well, maybe you have just been unlucky with the games you have tried it on.

Quick resume is such a game changer, I love it, but it's also just not reliable enough at present. With the One, I could save and end, or put to sleep a different game. 

I've used QR like I would use sleep and lost progress a couple of times now on Fallen Order and the like.

Hope the bugs get ironed out quick otherwise I want sleep back! At least it was reliable. 

Did a search and get conflicting answers. If I have a game that is Series S|X optimized can I decide to leave it on the external HDD and play without the optimization? Say for example Forza Horizon 4? Doesn't matter right now, more for when space is at a premium. 

6 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Did a search and get conflicting answers. If I have a game that is Series S|X optimized can I decide to leave it on the external HDD and play without the optimization? Say for example Forza Horizon 4? Doesn't matter right now, more for when space is at a premium. 

It depends on the game I think - halo MCC runs happily from my external HDD but the likes of gears 5 will tell you it needs to run from internal when you attempt to boot. 

11 hours ago, sandman said:

Nah, it’s a fucking piece of crap. My advice to anyone thinking of buying one of these is

BUY A ONE X INSTEAD 

This reminds me of the last terrible console purchase I made, the CDi. 

Grade 1 shithousing. 

Careful you don’t cut yourself.

I had a quick shot of a Series S yesterday, it’s for my daughter’s Christmas. I really can’t believe how small it is! 
I installed a bunch of games she’ll want to play, nothing exciting, but Goat Simulator runs very smoothly - much better than the One X.

I’m not so keen on the controller though, it feels quite cheap compared to my Cyberpunk Xbone controller, so that’s a shame. 
It’s making me want a Series X more though, after I’d talked myself out of it :P

21 minutes ago, Mortis said:

It depends on the game I think - halo MCC runs happily from my external HDD but the likes of gears 5 will tell you it needs to run from internal when you attempt to boot. 

Thanks. Will need some disk management until I can afford a proper extension then.

47 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Quick resume is such a game changer, I love it, but it's also just not reliable enough at present. With the One, I could save and end, or put to sleep a different game. 

I've used QR like I would use sleep and lost progress a couple of times now on Fallen Order and the like.

Hope the bugs get ironed out quick otherwise I want sleep back! At least it was reliable. 

Yeah it's an odd one. Quick resume is definitely disabled for Gears 5 at the moment, whenever I switch to and from it, it loads up from scratch. 

Yet sometimes when I put the console to sleep after playing, next time I start up it'll load up to exactly where I left it. But not always, and I can't work out why. 

Right now it's a bit of a regression coming from PS4 where there was no quick resume but if you only ever played one game, at least you knew it'd put you right back into that game after turning the console back on. 

Hopefully it'll all get ironed out.

13 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Quick shout out to the ace parent here, setting up the console so that its just plug and play on the day, and not a constant stream of updates and downloads taking up the whole of xmas day.

There's still over a month to go so you expect some more updates before then. ;)