Xbox Series S|X hardware impressions

7 minutes ago, Gabe said:

To hijack the thread slightly, to use the new pad on my PC via bluetooth can I just use any old USB receiver or do I have to get something official?

I couldn't get my Bluetooth controller working with my old USB Bluetooth dongle - kept asking for a passcode which I couldn't put it. It was over 10 years old though. Got a new bluetooth dongle for £8 and it works fine with that without issue. So "any old dongle" probably if its a newer one.

So no you don't need anything official like the 360 pads needed to use them wireless or the earlier Xbox One pads that didn't have Bluetooth.

The more I use my X, the less impressive it feels. Just had 2 hard crashes on the COD campaign. 

The build quality of the controller is awful as mine has 2 scratches already whereas my Halo 5 one looks like brand new. 

It’s stuck behind the tv as it simply wont fit anywhere and is an eyesore. The  One X Is possibly the best game console ever made, the Series X is a joke.

7 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Lol rllmuk hyperbole at its best

Nah, it’s a fucking piece of crap. My advice to anyone thinking of buying one of these is

BUY A ONE X INSTEAD 

This reminds me of the last terrible console purchase I made, the CDi. 

16 minutes ago, sandman said:

The more I use my X, the less impressive it feels. Just had 2 hard crashes on the COD campaign. 

The build quality of the controller is awful as mine has 2 scratches already whereas my Halo 5 one looks like brand new. 

It’s stuck behind the tv as it simply wont fit anywhere and is an eyesore. The  One X Is possibly the best game console ever made, the Series X is a joke.

is this a joke post?

Just now, ulala said:

is this a joke post?

No, why should it be. The console is obviously unfinished, barely an upgrade from the One X and I see no evidence of all this amazing power it’s supposed to have. I’ve been gaming for over 45 years and know a dud when I see one.

Wish I’d gone for a PS5 instead, although much as I suspected my initial belief that we didn’t need replacements for the bone/PS4 seems entirely correct.

What were you expecting? Look at the high end pc games and the graphics aren’t much different. 
  Hate to tell you the PS5 is almost identical hardware so outside of the controller it’s not gonna be any more impressive.

It’s only just launched! Give them time to start producing games for it that’ll utilise its power.

It’s fucking brilliant for me already. Souped up versions of games that I’ve either missed or are revisiting now they’ve got a silky smooth frame rate and the loading times are amazing. I couldn’t go back now.

5 minutes ago, sandman said:

No, why should it be. The console is obviously unfinished, barely an upgrade from the One X and I see no evidence of all this amazing power it’s supposed to have. I’ve been gaming for over 45 years and know a dud when I see one.

Wish I’d gone for a PS5 instead, although much as I suspected my initial belief that we didn’t need replacements for the bone/PS4 seems entirely correct.

Send it back, its only a week old so distance selling rules.

Ta-ta!

2 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

I’m still not sure why the series x is so big. Is it to make it quiet or just to differentiate it from the series s? The series s looks a sensible size and I’m not reading people saying it’s loud. 

Luckily I can stick it behind the telly. 

Fan plus spacing plus disk drive.

47 minutes ago, sandman said:

Thought this was a troll post to start with... not so sure.

Interesting viewpoint though. Personally thought it is a well built bit of kit. Had pretty much all the Xboxes over the years. Feels nice, solid and quiet. Internals look well designed. Pad feels the same as all my One controllers over the years. Have the old one and the new one here right now. Pretty much the same build quality and weight. D-pad bit more responsive on the new one.

Had a One X for a couple of years before selling it earlier in the year. This does not feel inferior in any way IMHO. OK the design is a bit marmite if you're preference is for equipment that fits in with other A/V gear which mostly is in horizontal form. But hey ho. You bought it. :D 

Put it in the trading folder there will be plenty of people eager to take it of your hands..... and then buy a Xbox One X. (or put the money in the bank and order a  PS5.)

7 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

I’m still not sure why the series x is so big. Is it to make it quiet or just to differentiate it from the series s? The series s looks a sensible size and I’m not reading people saying it’s loud. 

Just the cooling solution they are using... sucks air through the bottom and pulls it through and out the top. Quite a nice way of keeping it cool I think. Reminds me a bit of the design of the Mac cube. Personally don't think its that big. Just looks a bit uglier when place horizontally. It's obviously bee designed to be orientated vertically. 

I don’t know if it’s the patterning on the grips that is more prone to mark but I can’t say I’m precious about scratches on a joypad anyway - I’ve got a 9 yr old so if it survives that it’ll survive anything. 

2 minutes ago, Mortis said:

I don’t know if it’s the patterning on the grips that is more prone to mark but I can’t say I’m precious about scratches on a joypad anyway - I’ve got a 9 yr old so if it survives that it’ll survive anything. 

Think the plastic has a more matt finish this time... which probably shows marks more? Bit like the case of the X attracts fingerprints even though it has a matt finish. 

Who knows - no scratches on mine and I've been using a fair bit over the past week....

40 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Not the first person to say the pad scratches easily... I don't know how people are scratching their pads so much. What are youse doing with them? 

CoD is crashy as fuck apparently. Don't buy CoD.

Mine was scratched when it arrived. :( I only opened it to make sure it worked then used my Elite Controller.

27 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

You tried flushing 14 filtered cans of tennants through a urinal? Crazy pipework.