Xbox Series S|X hardware impressions

17 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I wouldn't hold off at all if you have a one x. 

I had one and the series x blows it out of the water.

Totally agree. I had a One X which I traded in and I could never go back now. Series X is just so quick, it’s got me playing more games on Gamepass that’s for sure. The overall gaming experience is just so much better. I love it and blows my mind to think what will be coming in the future.

19 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Is anyone finding that their new X|S console is "forgetting" what they are playing overnight?

It's an odd one but on the One X if I was playing something and turned off the console, using Instant On mode, it would just carry on where I left off the following day. Like Rest Mode on the PS4.

On the Series X it often restarts the game from scratch. I know loading is quick and everything but that doesn't seem right. Worse, because I haven't played anything else in the meantime, it doesn't even trigger Quick Resume (it appears to be the act of actually booting up another game that causes that to kick in). Before you ask, I've checked and Instant On mode is definitely on and the machine isn't cold booting each time.

Testing it now, though, if I'm playing the same game and I turn off the console, it resumes the same game just fine when I turn it back on. So it's almost like some other process is kicking in (but only overnight) that's using up memory and causing the game to get bumped out of active memory. I've seen this happen with both Ass Creed Valhalla and Forza Horizon 4, both X|S enhanced games, but haven't really tested it with anything smaller or older.

Probably just an OS bug at this stage but I've not seen anyone else mention this?

I’m finding quick resume really hit and miss. And it’s regularly reloading the game from scratch randomly and regularly. I’m only playing assassins creed so not switching between loads of games either.

This isn’t going to be popular, but I’m also finding the speed of the SSD overrated. :ph34r:

47 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Why not buy a 1TB SSD and fit it in a SATA 3 enclosure then use this as backup storage? 1TB SSDs can be had for £100 or less and enclosures won't be that expensive. 

It should at least be faster than a spinner disk. That is my thoughts if I start running low just to archive my games to save the long download times again or even play the games from if they are smaller indie titles.

I have this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H5BTB34/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017NIDXF0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will never go back to a mech hdd now, it flies on the series x and no noise like the machine itself!

39 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I’m finding quick resume really hit and miss. And it’s regular reloading the game from scratch randomly and regularly. I’m only playing assassins creed so not switching between loads of games either.

This isn’t going to be popular, but I’m also finding the speed of the SSD overrated. :ph34r:

Don't forget at the moment they have admitted that it's buggy and being fixed. Plus the SSD won't really come into its own until we get Series X specific games. Having said that, I'm finding the speed has allowed me to get back into games where loading times annoyed me. Wreckfest being one of them.

1 hour ago, sandman said:

Mine doesn’t like Ordinary blu rays much. 

Ready Player One was fine in 4K, but Westworld in 1080 keeps crashing 

Not even used my drive yet!!! Will test it at some point to see if it works! Although not much physical media around these days. Wish they had a Series X all digital edition for £100 less (like Sony). I would have gone for that given I just use GamePass.

1 minute ago, MattyP said:

Not even used my drive yet!!! Will test it at some point to see if it works! Although not much physical media around these days. Wish they had a Series X all digital edition for £100 less (like Sony). I would have gone for that given I just use GamePass.

Something tells me they probably considered it, but realised it would then make the Series S seem over-priced by comparison. 

3 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Something tells me they probably considered it, but realised it would then make the Series S seem over-priced by comparison. 

True. I expect we'll see an all digital version in the next year or two in a smaller form factor. Thinking something perhaps Mac Mini sized. That would be difficult but cool.

46 minutes ago, MattyP said:

It loads as fast as internal drive as nothing is on velocity engine as yet, it’s properly quick!

Can you have more than one external drive on Xbox machines, I assume you can but on PS4 you can only have one at a time!

I’m still loving the series X as a console. I have no regrets upgrading from a One X. 

I think the default thing to say is that it’s not as big a deal to upgrade from a one X. Whilst it’s true to some extent I think if you’re a gamer and you can then you absolutely should. The loading, the quick resume, the added grunt, the shinies etc are all things now that have made my gaming a better experience.

I’m fine with the internal storage but I would like more. I have unplugged my ‘spinner’ external drive because it was making a noise and also I was finding moving games back and forth off it a tiny bit of a hassle especially when the enhanced games were then just downloading the whole game again when they were upgraded anyway. I think I will make do for now as I’m reality I, like anyone likes to have loads of stuff ready to go but in reality I’m only ever playing 5 or maybe 6 things at any given time and even the biggest open world game is only an overnight download away. I will get a memory card at some point as that won’t require the copying back and forth and will just boost my overall available space. 

38 minutes ago, MattyP said:

True. I expect we'll see an all digital version in the next year or two in a smaller form factor. Thinking something perhaps Mac Mini sized. That would be difficult but cool.

They wouldn’t be able to cool it, even with sticking the power supply outside. 80% of the existing box is cooling kit.

26 minutes ago, footle said:

They wouldn’t be able to cool it, even with sticking the power supply outside. 80% of the existing box is cooling kit.

They well when they reduce the chipset down again. Which will happen at some point. Just not sure how small they can go. The optical drive takes up some space.

This is  why I went with the Series X. For just playing games on you cant get a PC anywhere near the price of the Series X. Just insane value for money if you just want a great gaming experience for the lowest price possible. Don't really know how the console manufacturers are doing this high volume discounts and proprietary chips I guess.

16 minutes ago, MattyP said:

This is  why I went with the Series X. For just playing games on you cant get a PC anywhere near the price of the Series X. Just insane value for money if you just want a great gaming experience for the lowest price possible. Don't really know how the console manufacturers are doing this high volume discounts and proprietary chips I guess.

By on purposefully losing quite a lot of money on each bit of hardware sold. It's also the official rationale for XSS, the fact they don't expect to be able to cost shrink it down for a very long time.

PCs, like mobile phones are sold at a profit, you can never compete against somebody willing to cut their own throat for business.

3 hours ago, MattyP said:

Why not buy a 1TB SSD and fit it in a SATA 3 enclosure then use this as backup storage? 1TB SSDs can be had for £100 or less and enclosures won't be that expensive. 

It should at least be faster than a spinner disk. That is my thoughts if I start running low just to archive my games to save the long download times again or even play the games from if they are smaller indie titles.

I think that's what I'd do if I didn't already have a drive. 

I have to say that if it's £100ish for an ssd and let's say £20 for an enclosure, I'd probably suggest going the whole hog and buy the official storage. 

I've seen some references to the drive noise when used as a UHD blu-ray player in this thread and elsewhere, so I was just wondering if anyone here who's moved from a One X to a Series X can give impressions of how it compares to that?

On 13/11/2020 at 19:30, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

I think i mucked up?

I mean its nice and all but the cheap  1440p monitor i got from ebuyer  ( The EG gaming one )   Wont let me do 1440p + 120hz. 

It has to drop to 1080p to do 120hz.

I'm not sure variable refresh rate selected will do anything either.

I mean it all looks wonderful but  meh/  right?  or am i being greedy

I don't know the monitor, but looking it up I fear I've bad news for you: the specs listed are pretty vague, but it looks like it isn't HDMI 2.0, as far as I can tell. Meaning it'll only run at 1440p 120Hz when using the Displayport connection, not HDMI :(I could be wrong - again, their specs are very vague, but the bit where it only ever refers to 'HDMI' rather than 'HDMI 2.0' (which would be good enough for 1440p 100Hz) or 'HDMI 2.1' (1440p 120Hz) makes me think that's likely. That, and the fact it's a pretty common limitation in monitors, still.

7 minutes ago, mushashi said:

By on purposefully losing quite a lot of money on each bit of hardware sold. It's also the official rationale for XSS, the fact they don't expect to be able to cost shrink it down for a very long time.

PCs, like mobile phones are sold at a profit, you can never compete against somebody willing to cut their own throat for business.

I know this is traditionally true but does this still happen? I think Sony/Microsoft actually made profit out if the door last time with the One and PS4.

Looking at the specs and components of the latest consoles I agree they *have* to be taking a hit this time around. Or at least a bigger hit.

Without a guestimated breakdown from IHS iSuppli, nobody knows how much they are losing this time but all previous launch Xboxes have lost varying amounts of money on the hardware. How much they are losing this time would be nice to know.

If you listen to the rumour mill, the XSS is actually the biggest loss maker due to the low pricing on it. The PS5 DE is similar, the fact that also has the lowest supply would lend weight to that. Supply less, lose less money overall.

Xbox 360 was a massive loss also at launch, Xbox 360 Core was $299.99, actual cost to make was $460!

"We are facing a big change in how consoles are designed. I believe when we first started building the original Xbox 360 - the smallest one without the HDD - that cost us about $460.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-xbox-series-s-big-interview

2 hours ago, Wiper said:

I've seen some references to the drive noise when used as a UHD blu-ray player in this thread and elsewhere, so I was just wondering if anyone here who's moved from a One X to a Series X can give impressions of how it compares to that?

I don't know the monitor, but looking it up I fear I've bad news for you: the specs listed are pretty vague, but it looks like it isn't HDMI 2.0, as far as I can tell. Meaning it'll only run at 1440p 120Hz when using the Displayport connection, not HDMI :(I could be wrong - again, their specs are very vague, but the bit where it only ever refers to 'HDMI' rather than 'HDMI 2.0' (which would be good enough for 1440p 100Hz) or 'HDMI 2.1' (1440p 120Hz) makes me think that's likely. That, and the fact it's a pretty common limitation in monitors, still.

Thank you @Wiper ;)

I've conceded now anyway as i have noticed a lot of new titles still run at 60hz  - which i can run at 1440p

At least i have something that can actually do 120hz    and it was only 200 quid  so..  it'll do.  Other monitors are closer to 300 and 400

i haven't got a 4k TV  yet so its more than  welcome.

Has anyone here noticed the low-latency "DLI" improvements with the new controllers?

I'd kind of forgotten about it to be honest but weren't Microsoft making a big deal about it prior to launch? I haven't even put the batteries in my new Series X controller, I just synced my trusty Elite 2 and carried on as before. But that hasn't (yet) been updated for DLI so am I missing out on some kind of transformative experience?

On 15/11/2020 at 16:19, MattyP said:

Same here. Although you can earn a lot back due to cheaper games IF you buy new games at launch at full price. But for me it is more about comfort and not having too mess with too many settings before I can play. 

Also Quick Resume is a game changer for me. It works very smooth for me.... didn't have zero issues with the games that support it and hopping around like a happy camper.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Has anyone here noticed the low-latency "DLI" improvements with the new controllers?

I'd kind of forgotten about it to be honest but weren't Microsoft making a big deal about it prior to launch? I haven't even put the batteries in my new Series X controller, I just synced my trusty Elite 2 and carried on as before. But that hasn't (yet) been updated for DLI so am I missing out on some kind of transformative experience?

Ah, I'll use this as my 'getting shot in the face as soon as I spot a baddie' excuse with Blops online.

Question. 

VRR. My LG C9 supports it but there is the known chroma issue when running at 120. 

Does VRR still work if you set your console to 60? I always associate VRR with 120 modes but presumably in a game with an uncapped frame rate where say it can run at 90fps VRR would still have an effect. But then, would your console have to be set to 120?