IGNORED

Xbox Series S|X hardware impressions

Fusty Gusset

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Oh no sorry to hear that... completely forgot that this thing has an optical drive in it! :D

Tried a hard reset and erasing everything and starting again? Although the drive being noisy isn't a great sign :( 

It’s a bit if a kick in the balls, especially since Guardians 2 looks amazing! Hopefully it’ll settle down over time. Everything else is running like a dream tho and I’ve renewed an older Tetris addiction.

5 hours ago, AceGrace said:

Does that make any sense?

Yeah, and that's why I went for the S, despite thinking the X offers better value for what you get.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

The console (Series S) is small and silent, and the controller is possibly the best I’ve ever used.

I'm not a total fan of the controller (clacky d-pad on mine), but I recognise the improvement from the textured handles and triggers. The console's cheaper-looking in the flesh (why the contrasting turntable?!), but it's a lovely size and reminds me of the GameCube.

But sadly I'm not really feeling the GPU games I've tried. I was waiting for the S to try Kingdom Come: Deliverance!

14 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

My Series X makes an audible noise that sounds like something writing to an old mechanical hard drive :unsure:  It's not loud or annoying but it is audible in a quiet room (and continues for a while after the machine's been turned off, so it's probably fan related). It doesn't sound like it's malfunctioning or anything, it's just a slightly odd sound. To be honest if I didn't know it had an SSD in it, I'd probably have assumed it WAS a hard drive.

Anyone else getting this?

It's horizontal in a TV unit at the moment, got a reasonable amount of clearance but it's a toasty little beast so was wondering if it would be better moved.

I answered my own question in the end. Rearranged things so I could have it upright with plenty of clearance and now it's effectively silent. Guess it really doesn't like being crammed into a TV cabinet, even one with an open front.

My boss sort of rained on my parade the other day over this, claiming there would only be enough space on the drive for 3 or 4 games because Paul Thurrot said so. 

I’m pleased to say I’ve got almost 20 games installed now, with space to spare. 

16 hours ago, Darren said:

This thing is brilliant.

I’ve not been on the forum all day because I’ve just been trying out one game pass game after another. And I’ve barely scratched the surface. So far my favourites are Jedi Fallen Order, FH4, Hotshot Racing and the Turing Test. Tomorrow I might well have a completely different list.

The console (Series S) is small and silent, and the controller is possibly the best I’ve ever used.

Im so glad I got swept up into the launch hype. The reality delivers!

Great isn't it? Coupled with GamePass such a sweet offering!

43 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I’ve got a Sony AG9 TV. It doesn’t have HDMI 2.1 but does apparently support 120 at 60fps.

Just tried Ori in the 120 mode but it was running in 60fps. Any ideas?

Did it give you the ‘no 120fps option detected’ when you ran Ori? If so you have to set 120fps in the dash. Also, I think if it’s hdmi 2 you might be limited to 1440p but don’t quote me. 

I’m a bit salty about the 120 thing. 

I have an LG C9 on the latest firmware. I know about the VRR issue washing out black levels. However, even if I disable VRR in the Xbox settings and set 120hz Ori just bombs out on me or another time gave some really nasty looking lines on the screen then it crashed again. Thinking of just sticking to 60fps for now and see if anything sorts itself out over time. 

The Falconeer seemed to work in 120 okay but (don’t shoot me) whilst it certainly looked smooth I flicked back to 60 and that looked pretty smooth too. 

Just now, Yiggy said:

Did it give you the ‘no 120fps option detected’ when you ran Ori? If so you have to set 120fps in the dash. Also, I think if it’s hdmi 2 you might be limited to 1440p but don’t quote me. 

I have an LG C9 on the latest firmware. I know about the VRR issue washing out black levels. However, even if I disable VRR in the Xbox settings and set 120hz Ori just bombs out on me or another time gave some really nasty looking lines on the screen then it crashed again. Thinking of just sticking to 60fps for now and see if anything sorts itself out over time. 

The Falconeer seemed to work in 120 okay but (don’t shoot me) whilst it certainly looked smooth I flicked back to 60 and that looked pretty smooth too. 

Just happy to have 60fps here. Always a bit dubious about how things will run at 120fps. But then I don't have a new TV just a 28" 4K monitor. 

Like all new tech it takes a bit to settle down remember the HDR fiasco? 3D TVs etc the list goes on. Enjoy the games the tech will catch up in the end..... I guess..... 

54 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

There’s no 120 setting in the dash - just the option to allow 50hz and 24hz.

1 hour ago, Yiggy said:

I have an LG C9 on the latest firmware. I know about the VRR issue washing out black levels. However, even if I disable VRR in the Xbox settings and set 120hz

The VRR issue only impacts these TVs when it's slow frame rates, doesn't it? The issue is with them overcharging the pixels when they're on too long, from memory, so I'd assumed it's for <60Hz scenarios, not 120Hz. Try leaving it all on.

Disclaimer: I don't own a Series console.

3 hours ago, Yiggy said:

With the cable that came with it? That's a bit odd.

3 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Something isn't right there, Ori's 120hz mode worked on my C9 without issue. I can't say what needs resetting or updating, but it should work. 

However, there definitely is work to be done with 120hz support and the c9, I have had the tv say "no signal" at one point, despite being able to hear party chat ongoing and the console being on. 

This is probably going to sound weird but I like that the Series S doesn't give you the option on games (that I've tried anyway) to choose performance / presentation.

I'd spend ages on my One X dithering between the two unable to decide whether to go frame rate or fidelity, slowly driving myself bonkers.

With this it's just load game and play. Phew!!

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

Something isn't right there, Ori's 120hz mode worked on my C9 without issue. I can't say what needs resetting or updating, but it should work. 

However, there definitely is work to be done with 120hz support and the c9, I have had the tv say "no signal" at one point, despite being able to hear party chat ongoing and the console being on. 

As I said before I think Ori is broken because it lets me select 120fps even though my TV can't do it.